Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got around to unloading my trailer... yup, definitely hard maple! It inspired the sculptor in me. Then I took my little tractor over to the neighbors and moved a dumptruck load of sand for them and got a reward from his wife and girls.... I didn't show them "wood man" lol.
b951727ee88efbbabde14593055acd25.jpg
bb2ab6d558c815ec30b5c8fd7561080e.jpg
36938a702016ff94e12d3546759d2437.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Awhile back I mentioned the chain on my Stihl 038 kept turning when idling. A couple of you recommended I check and see if anything had broken off the clutch and was dragging inside. I had some tome today so I pulled the clutch. I don't see anything wrong with it. But I don't have the trained eye that you all have, so I thought I'd check with you before I reassemble every thing. And yes, I'm going to clean off the crude in a mineral spirits bath before I reassemble it.
The question is, do you see anything wrong?
I'll be adjusting the idle screw next until it stops spinning.
IMG_0554.JPG

While I was cleaning, I noticed the 'gasket' or O-ring around the bottom of the oil pump was coming apart. It's jut to the left of the bottom left mounting screw and a piece of the pump protrudes through the bottom of the case. I'm not sure what it's for. Anyway, is the gasket important? Part No.? The pump simply pull out once the three screws are removed?
Thanks
IMG_0555.JPG

I found a video where a guy replaced the plug on the left side of the pump as well as the O-ring/gasket on the bottom that fits around the oil flow adjustment screw. So I pulled the pump off and noticed the plug missing. Could that be why I was leaking oil or is it more likely the filter oil tube that runs through the housing? I've looked on ebay and Amazon for the plug and gasket, but I couldn't find either. Any ideas?

P.S. I found the part Nos. so I'll look around for a source.

A while back there was a guy who got hurt really bad at work. He is back living at home now but still recovering and doing physio, walks with a cane. Anyway, I thought I'd help him out with a load of wood, so I loaded my 5x 13 trailer with splits. He has a small stove that likes smaller pieces so I re-split a lot of it, it will also help him not have to lug heavy chunks. Mix of elm, apple, maple and ash. I figure about 3/4 of a full cord, since the splits are smaller I was afraid to pile it high. Don't want to be buying anyone a windshield!
Managed to bend my tailgate board pin when tossing a split, but that bend was no match for my "hydraulic press", good as new.
dc0eb3ae39085c06559c9c10032c490c.jpg
e199f7a1079b3bb31c80643fd1d160a7.jpg

A while back there was a guy who got hurt really bad at work. He is back living at home now but still recovering and doing physio, walks with a cane. Anyway, I thought I'd help him out with a load of wood, so I loaded my 5x 13 trailer with splits. He has a small stove that likes smaller pieces so I re-split a lot of it, it will also help him not have to lug heavy chunks. Mix of elm, apple, maple and ash. I figure about 3/4 of a full cord, since the splits are smaller I was afraid to pile it high. ....
Very good gesture. Not many people think of others nowadays. BTW, love your trailer.

A while back there was a guy who got hurt really bad at work. He is back living at home now but still recovering and doing physio, walks with a cane. Anyway, I thought I'd help him out with a load of wood, so I loaded my 5x 13 trailer with splits. He has a small stove that likes smaller pieces so I re-split a lot of it, it will also help him not have to lug heavy chunks. Mix of elm, apple, maple and ash. I figure about 3/4 of a full cord, since the splits are smaller I was afraid to pile it high. Don't want to be buying anyone a windshield!
Managed to bend my tailgate board pin when tossing a split, but that bend was no match for my "hydraulic press", good as new.
dc0eb3ae39085c06559c9c10032c490c.jpg
e199f7a1079b3bb31c80643fd1d160a7.jpg

You’re a top bloke Jeff.

Thanks, I made it from an old camper trailer frame.

Really? I wouldn't have thought a camper would have been made out of heavy enough angle iron. My 5x8 is only 1/8" 2"x2" and I have slight bend in the frame. Wish it were at least 3/16".

Really? I wouldn't have thought a camper would have been made out of heavy enough angle iron. My 5x8 is only 1/8" 2"x2" and I have slight bend in the frame. Wish it were at least 3/16".
The main frame rails are 3x5 rectangular tube. Actually more like 2 halves of formed channel welded together. It's 1/8 wall. The cross members were just formed z pieces but I added a bunch of 2x2x3/16 angles across in between. Fenders are 1/8 checker and the rails and uprights are the same angle I used underneath. Two 3500lb axles. It's pretty robust, I really haven't had more than 3500lbs on it and felt solid. Dropped a couple 500lb chunks of sugar maple in with the excavator, made a big Bang but the whole trailer moved instead of flexing. Welded up old school with a stick welder.

I didn't realise how low on wood Ross was, prior to yesterday's scrounge, he had maybe half a face cord left :crazy2: . We went out again this morning to get some more. At the farm there was this monster, couldn't fit it all in the frame. The trunk is about 5 ft.

14th June 9.jpg

Made up a load out of the smaller branches and you'd hardly know I'd touched it. Forgot to get a pic of the load, here's Ross driving off with it.

14th June 2.jpg

Only the small stuff was dry so I had a look at this log that had fallen on top of that tree. 14th June 1.jpg

I used the 460 to cut it, it was about 22 inches at the base.

14th June 3.jpg

It was pretty sweet peppermint.

14th June 10.jpg

TBC...

I left Ross to start splitting and loading that and went up to have a go at this one a long dead peppermint.

14th June 4.jpg

While I was cutting that up, I saw that Ross had company.

14th June 5.jpg

Easy splitting, one hit splits.

14th June 6.jpg

We filled both trailers and the back of the ute. Well, when I say we filled Ross's trailer, it is a single axle that nearly as old as he is so we don't put more than about 1.5 cubes in there.

14th June 8.jpg

Child no. 1 was a helper for the day, certainly makes a difference.

14th June 7.jpg

All up we got 4-5 cubes for the morning, which will keep him going for a while. The wood is a bit wet but not green, a few days to dry off and it'll be good to go.

:)

@Cowboy254 I see a trend with your buddy Rosco. I'm sure you had fun alternating m spending time with a mate but why don't you and he manage to do it in your spring/summer and get him ahead?

That old dear that made the comment about your bonfire wasting firewood .... Was it Mrs Rosco?!

I found a video where a guy replaced the plug on the left side of the pump as well as the O-ring/gasket on the bottom that fits around the oil flow adjustment screw. So I pulled the pump off and noticed the plug missing. Could that be why I was leaking oil or is it more likely the filter oil tube that runs through the housing? I've looked on ebay and Amazon for the plug and gasket, but I couldn't find either. Any ideas?

P.S. I found the part Nos. so I'll look around for a source.
Ask over in the beg for manuals thread for a repair manual for your saw. Good luck.

There have been some threads on drilling larger oiler holes in the bar also, if I recall.
I have done this on some bars also. For some reason, the Stihl Light bars often have a tiny angled hole that is much smaller than the oil holes in other Stihl bars.

So I drilled some of them out. Not easy, I believe it is hardened Stihl, and you have to be careful not to break your bits.

Just basic physics, if you apply the same pressure to a smaller hole, you will end up will less oil going through the hole.

I don't understand why Stihl did it ... environmental concerns???

Back