Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news then some bad news. Took all weekend but I got the "new" engine transplanted into my expedition. Just waiting on a few parts to finish it up. Be glad to have it back on the road again.
Bad news. Neighbors again. Well to make the story very short, they needed help this coming weekend, which I work, and pitched a fit that I wouldn't come over after work and help them, even though I offered to come over Friday on my day off. (Neither of them work, so scheduling isn't an issue) needless to say we exchanged some words and I I'm done with them.

Here’s the tail end of the parade yesterday which wrapped up our festival “Timber Days”....several trucks loaded with logs. Was awesome to see as some years in the past they didn’t have any logging trucks in the parade. Also a ton of people in a little town of less than 600.
View attachment 912323
good afternoon my ole friend! we will be at the old fishing hole next Monday through early FRIDAY ! its eye catching time again see you if you are around? fishing the mn. vike's # 58 fishing site if you remember where it is for a few adult beverages, tall tails and catching up !

good afternoon my ole friend! we will be at the old fishing hole next Monday through early FRIDAY ! its eye catching time again see you if you are around? fishing the mn. vike's # 58 fishing site if you remember where it is for a few adult beverages, tall tails and catching up !
Let’s plan to catch up. I don’t have the kids next Monday or Tuesday night.

@Cowboy254 I see a trend with your buddy Rosco. I'm sure you had fun alternating m spending time with a mate but why don't you and he manage to do it in your spring/summer and get him ahead?

That old dear that made the comment about your bonfire wasting firewood .... Was it Mrs Rosco?!

Nah, it wasn't Mrs Roscoe, she's a good chicky and she enjoyed looking at my big hot (bonfire) erection. But you're right about the failure to plan in advance. We have talked about it previously but I think by the time we reach the end of winter, the pressure is off and it gets forgotten. Maybe this will be the year for springtime scrounging!

PXL_20210615_094741474.jpg
My latest scrounge, delivered to the door by my friendly neighbourhood tree service. Mainly pear, maybe half a cord. I'm behind with my CSSing, with a cord of Oak still to process, but scrounge wise I'm getting into winter 23/24 possibly now .
We are having a heat wave, 28-29C may be cool for some of you but it's humid and hot for us so I'm trying to do little stints with the axe of an evening, only trouble is the mossies!

View attachment 912413
My latest scrounge, delivered to the door by my friendly neighbourhood tree service. Mainly pear, maybe half a cord. I'm behind with my CSSing, with a cord of Oak still to process, but scrounge wise I'm getting into winter 23/24 possibly now .
We are having a heat wave, 28-29C may be cool for some of you but it's humid and hot for us so I'm trying to do little stints with the axe of an evening, only trouble is the mossies!
Heck that's only 80*f give or take.......

I was on a volunteer crew that cleared 95 trees out of a 5.5 mile 4WD trail over the weekend. 17 volunteers Saturday, 12 Sunday morning, 8 by end of day Sunday. Half of the volunteers were first timers, so they were swampers. I was one of five qualified sawyers. The last five years there have only been two of us, we got more through the certification class a few weeks ago. The trees ranged from a few inches to 3 feet across.
DA2949EF-48BA-40C9-ABE8-3B11E681F251.jpeg
468950A9-3243-42DB-B1C5-B6DB6A26C7CA.jpeg

I was on a volunteer crew that cleared 95 trees out of a 5.5 mile 4WD trail over the weekend. 17 volunteers Saturday, 12 Sunday morning, 8 by end of day Sunday. Half of the volunteers were first timers, so they were swampers. I was one of five qualified sawyers. The last five years there have only been two of us, we got more through the certification class a few weeks ago. The trees ranged from a few inches to 3 feet across.
View attachment 912482
View attachment 912483

Nice. What happenss to the wood? Crew get any of it?

Nice. What happenss to the wood? Crew get any of it?

Most of the wood stays there, some goes to campfire wood. I would say very little gets hauled home for wood stove or fireplace use. The crew didn’t take any. It’s up for grabs, but most of the trail isn’t suitable for hauling wood, and it’s a two hour drive. I used to get wood at places like that (near or only a short ways into the trail), I’d go camping and take the trailer with me. It wouldn’t take much of my camping time to fill the trailer, not many do that though.

Heck that's only 80*f give or take.......
Indeed. We dont do extreme hot, cold, windy, wet or dry. What that means is at don't bother to spend cash to cope with any...AC is still very rare in homes and not a rule in offices, we don't have snow ploughs or chains (I'm weird running winter tyres) etc etc. So 30C is getting hot. Our all time record, set last year, it's ,40C /100f. We melted.

Got the wagon hitched to the horses...365 of em! During our Monday morning meeting at work I mentioned that I was donating a load of wood to our co-worker who had been injured. I invited anyone who wanted to come help me unload on Wednesday and I got several helpers lined up. Remember folks, we must use our scrounging powers only for good!
2c0c1cecaaa872f502c31fd874de5d03.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Here’s the tail end of the parade yesterday which wrapped up our festival “Timber Days”....several trucks loaded with logs. Was awesome to see as some years in the past they didn’t have any logging trucks in the parade. Also a ton of people in a little town of less than 600.
View attachment 912323

Latest posts

Back