Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its just that time of year....graduations, vacations/trips. Im like Farmer Steve,I don't like running saws in the heat of summer. I contribute sporadically but I'll post our vacation travels. School ended yesterday and I have a little bit of a break before I start teaching summer school.

Here’s the tail end of the parade yesterday which wrapped up our festival “Timber Days”....several trucks loaded with logs. Was awesome to see as some years in the past they didn’t have any logging trucks in the parade. Also a ton of people in a little town of less than 600.
View attachment 912323
Hey I can reply again on my computer :clap:, still not sure what the deal was, maybe I was half banned:laughing:.

What I was going to say is, it sure is good to see such a mix of older and younger generations there.

Are we missing out on pics? :crazy2:
Yeah buddy, not as many of wood, but there's wood in the background lol.
Moving the shed out back so I can fill the area, grade it and added road gravel for my backyard highway, gotta be able to the wood to the bonfire pit :blob2::happy:.
Hoping to get the shed moved back by next week, but I still need to put a bit more fill in, maybe I'll finish that tonight. Before pulling it back into place I have to secure the black locust logs I skidded it out on to the bottom of the shed/floor joist as they will remain on there when it's in it's new place. I'm shifting it back a little on one side so it's easier to get past it with a trailer, I knocked the on post out a couple times with the trailer, it's pretty wide open now though.
I need to replace this phone, the lease is so scratched it's hard to get a good pic, it looked like yours is scratched pretty good too in some of your pics :picture:.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.49.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.49.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.36.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.35.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.34.51 PM.png

Ill trade ya some black locust for that big pc of oak on my property!

[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]
I'll trade you a whole trailer load of "wood" for it, just bring that bad boy by :p.
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 2.22.59 PM.png
Can't believe I got the whole tree on there :surprised3:, except the flush cut stump, I hauled that home with the tractor, but I could have thrown it on the front easily.
Hope you're doing well, I'll be down your way next week most likely.
Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 1.00.38 PM.png

Car batteries. Don’t think about it until ya need one. The Interstate battery I have In my car went out. 12 years old I believe.

Do you guys have a preference on brand? Are the new interstate batteries as good as the old? I’ve heard good things about Deka as well. Manufactured here in Pennsylvania too.

It looks like I won't be doing any cutting any time soon. I talked briefly to the arborist today and he told me he wasn't using one of the two dump sites I was cutting on anymore because of the neighbors complaining. The other site he's reserving all the wood for him self since he's in the firewood business now. He did point to some Ash and Maple I could have so I'll get a pickup load or two. Not the volume and selection I use to have. He got a knew chipper which will handle anything up to 18". I prefer the small stuff, but that's out too. So I guess I'll have to resort to true scrounging off of CL. Luckily, I have a 3 year? supply for myself, but am out of Cherry which is the only thing I sold. I may have to look into the Hedge recovery I mentioned from a neighbors property and see if there is a niche market there.

Car batteries. Don’t think about it until ya need one. The Interstate battery I have In my car went out. 12 years old I believe.

Do you guys have a preference on brand? Are the new interstate batteries as good as the old? I’ve heard good things about Deka as well. Manufactured here in Pennsylvania too.
I usually get them at Costco because they are great batteries(interstate last I knew) and they are cheaper than buying a battery anywhere else. I was looking on Craigslist and found a used one that was made in ohio, I like supporting the local places when possible for sure even when it does cost a few more bucks.

Mid Atlantic heat and humidity. You’ll be dripping in sweat in no time running a saw in these parts.
Midwest heat and humidity here :baba:, I'll be out running a couple in a few with my second shirt of the day, and it's not as hot as it was here last week.
Next week we are supposed to have some highs in the mid to upper 60's :rock:.

Been running interstates in most of my stuff. Trucks ,tractors and trailer.
Seem to do well. It does help that the tractor repair guy down the road sells them and has the best prices around. Ford also sells a good battery and has a good warranty.

Been running interstates in most of my stuff. Trucks ,tractors and trailer.
Seem to do well. It does help that the tractor repair guy down the road sells them and has the best prices around. Ford also sells a good battery and has a good warranty.
motorcraft and interstate are the only ones ill use...…...

First outing with the new truck. Down to Jim's for the small locust scrounge. Last two trips I cleaned the brush and deadfall off of, and around, a big, dead, leaning BL. Today bucked it up and loaded as much as I could haul with that short bed, no racks PU. I loves 4x. This is the first one I have had or even drove. Had to go into 4x coming through the gate. He feeds hay bales to he cows just inside it. Hay mixed with cow flops a foot deep. I did snake a good sized BL log up out of the gully, worked like a dream. I gots some learning to do as to how to use 4x.

Back