Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I signed up for it, looked in, same old crowd who thinks it is funny to toss insults everywhere and at everybody. It is nothing but an insult fest now, no discussions of anything.

I don’t participate in such things, neither side will budge. What’s the point? I’m on another forum that also removed their P&R section. That caused it to spill into everything else, and occasionally someone gets banned for it.

I don’t participate in such things, neither side will budge. What’s the point? I’m on another forum that also removed their P&R section. That caused it to spill into everything else, and occasionally someone gets banned for it.
I was on a small outdoor forum that had one butt hole spewing politics all the time despite specific rules against it. Then the verbal attacks came. He was banned, but then registered a little later under a new name and the BS started all over. The cycle, banned/re-register, when on for another half dozen times. The owner got tired of dealing with it and pulled the site. Really was a good outdoor site with a lot of good local, knowledgeable people. Sad.

First outing with the new truck. Down to Jim's for the small locust scrounge. Last two trips I cleaned the brush and deadfall off of, and around, a big, dead, leaning BL. Today bucked it up and loaded as much as I could haul with that short bed, no racks PU. I loves 4x. This is the first one I have had or even drove. Had to go into 4x coming through the gate. He feeds hay bales to he cows just inside it. Hay mixed with cow flops a foot deep. I did snake a good sized BL log up out of the gully, worked like a dream. I gots some learning to do as to how to use 4x.
Get a rack for the back window. Save ya down the road. I like pulling with chains. Never liked straps or ropes. Does your truck have a trailer hitch?

Car batteries. Don’t think about it until ya need one. The Interstate battery I have In my car went out. 12 years old I believe.

Do you guys have a preference on brand? Are the new interstate batteries as good as the old? I’ve heard good things about Deka as well. Manufactured here in Pennsylvania too.
We use a lot of deka. Interstate are good too. Not sure difference in price or warranty

Had the best luck with interstate batteries, have a deka in the dump trailer. Been getting "seconds" from one of my uncles. They are too old to sell as new, so they drop the warranty and basically charge half price for them. If I get 8 years out of one I'm happy.

Two loads from THE rope swing tree. Actually split and loaded one on Tuesday, unloaded that and the second load tonight. Almost forgot to get a pic of the first load and remembered after it was 20% unloaded @Cowboy254. This is actually like 6 WB loads!View attachment 913121
You might have said already, but what kind of wood is that quilted stuff? Love to seen that milled.

Funny story: On Tuesday I may have lost one of my new best friends from a couple years ago. I pulled up to a two way stop intersection at the same time as a pickup truck did. We waved each other on but I insisted since I knew I was turning onto our private road in 1/4 mile. So oddly, the truck turned there also. Now, there are only 5 properties on the road and I pretty well know the truck doesn't belong there. He stopped in the road by the first driveway to get out of the truck and walk towards me. He starts to say that he knows there is a guy that burns in an outdoor wood burner on the road, then suddenly says that it might be me! About this time I recognize him from an old Craigslist scrounge a mile away. He had a fair amount of poplar he was cutting down himself - I answered the ad and he loaded logs on my trailer with his tractor. Easy scrounge. Anyway, I confirm that I'm the guy that was at his place. He remembered what road I lived on but didn't have my name or number so he was searching me out. He starts explaining that he's paying to have a couple trees cut down and have the limbs removed. So I ask if he gets a better price if the guy leaves the trunks. He says no, but he was wondering if I would like to make a deal with him. I practically had to interrupt his sentence to explain, "I don't buy wood." He stops, almost surprised it seems, and repeats, "You don't buy wood." "Nope, I don't buy wood." Well, OK then. He says if his guy doesn't come through that he may still come to visit me. His neighbor wants the wood, but he knows that will turn into him delivering it and he's not interested in that.

At least he knows where I stand and can make his problem go away. All he has to do is stop over to see me again. And if he doesn't, I'll make plenty of new best friends again soon.

You might have said already, but what kind of wood is that quilted stuff? Love to seen that milled.
It's white oak. The huge branch wasn't exactly straight for milling and it was in the middle of the road at the time so I was only interested in cutting it up as fast as possible. Only after I split a few pieces later did I see the wavy grain. I'll still cut up a few slabs for my brother and another buddy to see what they can make of it. 20210609_174927.jpg

Get a rack for the back window. Save ya down the road. I like pulling with chains. Never liked straps or ropes. Does your truck have a trailer hitch?

Racks are in progress. I have one side done, do the other tomorrow and maybe the headache rack. I don't get much done any one day anymore. I did manage to hit the rear window lightly with one small round today. Yep, trailer hitch and tow rings both front and rear. I prefer towing from the front so I can see what the load is doing.

I need to replace this phone, the lease is so scratched it's hard to get a good pic, it looked like yours is scratched pretty good too in some of your pics :picture:.

Actually, it is not scratched, the camera function itself is stihl good. It's the rest of the phone that is knackered (2012 model). I have always emailed scrounge pics to the home puter and uploaded from there but a couple of months ago, my phone decided (or gmail did :badpc: ) that I could no longer do that. So recently I have SMS'd pics to Cowgirl who emails them home but in the process they get compressed so the quality is nowhere near as good. I could get a new phone but...

Place sure has been quiet lately

Fear not! :muscle: More scrounge pics coming this weekend!

Actually, it is not scratched, the camera function itself is stihl good. It's the rest of the phone that is knackered (2012 model). I have always emailed scrounge pics to the home puter and uploaded from there but a couple of months ago, my phone decided (or gmail did :badpc: ) that I could no longer do that. So recently I have SMS'd pics to Cowgirl who emails them home but in the process they get compressed so the quality is nowhere near as good. I could get a new phone but...

Fear not! :muscle: More scrounge pics coming this weekend!
Mine has a crack in the lense and its scratched pretty bad, anytime it sees the sun directly you can guarantee the picture will not turn out, the problem is I can't see the screen very well when its bright out so I just loose the photo opp :cry:. Maybe I should buy a new phone instead of new equipment, nah :lol:.
We got a nice heavy rain this morning, I'll be burning the trailer load of brush I got pruning a tree last night, and hopefully the whole load of brush from the cottonwood. I need my trailer space back!
Cleaned a few scrounging tools off yesterday, this one is pretty, sending out a the last of the jred 2166's today.
Have a great day guys.
20210617_152850.jpg

Had to wait for a guy to come and get 20 pieces of firewood :dumb2: So I fired up the splitter and did a bucket of cherry. Back to raking hay as so as I get my Gatorade.
View attachment 913262
Nice work Steve.
Are you going to get that rain we got last night. I saw an ad today for free moldy hay on Craigslist lol.
I have a cherry in the gravel pit I've been pushing around rather than cutting up.
Got two fires going :blob2::blob2:. I got about 90% of the neighbors grandsons mess cleaned up down there, he had a great business model going, pick up garbage/debris at peoples home and charge them to get rid of it, then dump it on grandpa's property :nofunny:. Unfortunately his grandpa/my neighbor isn't n the best shape to clean the garbage all up. Bringing the trailer of cottonwood around in a few, needed to take a break and get a dry shirt :baba: .
Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 2.29.24 PM.png
You can see the cherry just behind the tractor. I should get it diced up so I can burn the brush while I have a good fire down there, otherwise I'll need to haul it up to my fire pit which would be more work.
Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 2.30.28 PM.png

Racks are in progress. I have one side done, do the other tomorrow and maybe the headache rack. I don't get much done any one day anymore. I did manage to hit the rear window lightly with one small round today. Yep, trailer hitch and tow rings both front and rear. I prefer towing from the front so I can see what the load is doing.

Finished the 2nd side rack and added angle irons to mount the headache rack. Had to park the truck in the shade and string two extension cords to work on it. I'll do the same next time to work on the headache rack.

Off to the willow patch in the morning with the truck. I have one good sized tree laying against the 'wall' of that old gravel pit. Need tocut it off at the base and try to pull it down. Should work IF it hasn't put down roots along the trunk. Willows do that.

Finished the 2nd side rack and added angle irons to mount the headache rack. Had to park the truck in the shade and string two extension cords to work on it. I'll do the same next time to work on the headache rack.

Off to the willow patch in the morning with the truck. I have one good sized tree laying against the 'wall' of that old gravel pit. Need tocut it off at the base and try to pull it down. Should work IF it hasn't put down roots along the trunk. Willows do that.
If you post us a pic we'll be able to tell you if it will work. :picture:

Rare selfie. Woke up at 3 this morning with a mean tummy ache. Got the wife to take me to er. Turns out I had an internal hernia, strangulating my intestine. Right into surgery for a nice gash right up the middle of my middle. Chicks dig scars right? Anyway, 4-5 days here then about 8 weeks at home not lifting more than 20 lbs. So you guys scrounge and post pics for me to slobber over.
512db41e44dda270b09d5a7b157e2940.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Back