Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh snap, red oak alert in Brighton, anyone down that way :innocent:.
Got me some of it. Brett was kinda slow on this one being across the state though - I had already emailed on it before he posted it! LOL
20210726_141556.jpg
And made another new best friend as he said he will be taking down several more oak trees and will contact me directly instead of using Craigslist next time. They all look tall and straight and limbless for 50 feet. Oh darn. Now I'm not an oak snob like some of you (and you know who you are), but I'm smart enough not to turn it away either.

A small engine mechanic I knew witnessed a guy getting hit in the neck by a flying piece of a broken off plastic blade. I believe the story was the guy died.
I had a plastic one break off and hit me on the bad ankle 6 years ago , I was wearing Dunlop steel toe rubber boots but it dropped me like a rock about .6 milliseconds after impact .
Choice words were said and I'll never use them ever again ,,,, EVER .

I'm not dead yet , been averaging 45hrs per week , a few night shifts , cleared a couple of house lots , cut some for the fella with the treeco that I worked for last summer and the fella that I painted for last winter offered me more than double my day job wage to go cut on a golfcourse that one of his clients just bought so I have to fit that in on weekends .
Free oak, apple and maple to any of you yahoos in need , I may want the spruce lol .

Got me some of it. Brett was kinda slow on this one being across the state though - I had already emailed on it before he posted it! LOL
View attachment 920609
And made another new best friend as he said he will be taking down several more oak trees and will contact me directly instead of using Craigslist next time. They all look tall and straight and limbless for 50 feet. Oh darn. Now I'm not an oak snob like some of you (and you know who you are), but I'm smart enough not to turn it away either.
You're just lucky I don't like oak, unless it's already seasoned :laugh:.
Glad you got it, hope you get a bunch more of the nice straight ones :rock:.
I dropped a 5 today, customer wants all the wood, and they are picking up the mess. Dead stand ash that needed to be pulled thru the canopy of a maple, elm leaning over their shed, 3 cedars from behind the shed with nowhere to go with them so I took them down from the bottom up.
This one looked happy about coming down :).
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 10.26.37 PM.png

I had a plastic one break off and hit me on the bad ankle 6 years ago , I was wearing Dunlop steel toe rubber boots but it dropped me like a rock about .6 milliseconds after impact .
Choice words were said and I'll never use them ever again ,,,, EVER .

I'm not dead yet , been averaging 45hrs per week , a few night shifts , cleared a couple of house lots , cut some for the fella with the treeco that I worked for last summer and the fella that I painted for last winter offered me more than double my day job wage to go cut on a golfcourse that one of his clients just bought so I have to fit that in on weekends .
Free oak, apple and maple to any of you yahoos in need , I may want the spruce lol .
Glad you're doing well Dan.
Speaking of ankles, the guy I'm doing the job for had a wheelbarrow fall on the back of his ankle today :surprised3:. His youngest son threw a round in it while dad was talking to me, he controlled himself well all things considered. Another reason to use a wheelbarrow with two wheels:yes:. I didn't mention it to him when it happened though lol.
Be safe.

You're just lucky I don't like oak, unless it's already seasoned :laugh:.
I have the same *meh* feeling about oak. Lots of firewood I would prefer before oak. But close to home and already cut next to the driveway can have a powerful effect on a guys heartstrings. :heart: Oh, and of course free, seein' as how I don't buy firewood! :envy:

I have the same *meh* feeling about oak. Lots of firewood I would prefer before oak. But close to home and already cut next to the driveway can have a powerful effect on a guys heartstrings. :heart: Oh, and of course free, seein' as how I don't buy firewood! :envy:
When I was putting wood in the woodshed last week there were some pieces of red oak, it reminded me one of the reasons I like black locust so much :sweet:.
I'd pay for it if the deal was right, getting wood is a lot of work.

Well today is the divorce hearing. Fingers crossed that everything goes well. If judge agrees to our deal, we should be signed off and finalized in the next 48 hours or so.

I can’t believe that just a couple months ago I still wanted to be married to this woman. My life is so much better without her.

I've listed my ickle stihl on ebay, as I've now got the dolmakita. It's been, and still is, a great saw. If it sells for the price i think it will (having watched a few others, made sure my listing is better and priced just below all others currently listed) it will have cost me just about £3 per cord it has cut or me.

Back