Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished up putting the tow package on my 72. Towed great stopped well (trailer has brakes ) no problem with it heating up even pulling a long steep grade in 2nd . I still need to add the temp gauge for the transmission but I put a big cooler on it . Had 3 people ask me if either were for sale379E05A4-EE2C-4E4A-931F-FCD96AF55778.jpeg

Just finished up putting the tow package on my 72. Towed great stopped well (trailer has brakes ) no problem with it heating up even pulling a long steep grade in 2nd . I still need to add the temp gauge for the transmission but I put a big cooler on it . Had 3 people ask me if either were for saleView attachment 921634
100% not a chevy guy, but they sure are pretty trucks!

Was car lot cruising with my wife this evening on account of I smoked another deer, this time with her poor Corolla. Came across this bronco, first one I've seen. I had a '74 an it was my favorite vehicle. Walking around this one, ford did a good job of modernizing the retro body style. Standing next to it, I got a sense of nostalgia. I have seen the four door and bleah... This one is way cool!
e1ef0cc56fc8a8dc6b5b0c5fdf854865.jpg
186c9e68f39ae5a8ed86b6309de8e3fc.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Was car lot cruising with my wife this evening on account of I smoked another deer, this time with her poor Corolla. Came across this bronco, first one I've seen. I had a '74 an it was my favorite vehicle. Walking around this one, ford did a good job of modernizing the retro body style. Standing next to it, I got a sense of nostalgia. I have seen the four door and bleah... This one is way cool!
e1ef0cc56fc8a8dc6b5b0c5fdf854865.jpg
186c9e68f39ae5a8ed86b6309de8e3fc.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
If I was looking for a little 4wd SUV this would be my pick. On paper they look really capable. Sure as heck wouldn't get a heap Wrangler and GM doesn't make anything full frame in this class.

My TAD has been acting up again this summer, not sure what to take for it :laugh: .
The pine in the background I need to remove a few more branches from and then drop it sometime soon. It needs to fall pretty close to overhang because of the cable and power wires between the trailer and the tree that go to the neighboring home. Should be fun :).
Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 10.27.26 AM.png

Why in the world would someone put a 351 in a 70 Boss? I assume it was a repowered 302. I saw a decent Boss 351 here at the Mecum auction this weekend. I had a 72 Mach 1, Q code, 351C with a c-6.

Everyone should come to one of these auctions, you'll see cars you couldn't any other way.
To be honest, the Boss 302 was not a VG street motor. Ports and valves were so big there was no low or mid range power, and the engine was externally balanced, so if you revved it too much it would blow up.

The 351 C has the same ports and valves, and the addl cubes make it much more drivable. Plus, even though the 350 Z-28 was slower than the 302 Z-28, the 351 Boss (in a much heavier car) was faster than the 302 Boss. So putting a 351 Boss in a 70 Boss body makes perfect sense to me. Of course, I went one better and put a 427 Ford motor in my 70 Boss, but that is another story! (I told folks I had the real Boss Mustang!)

To be honest, the Boss 302 was not a VG street motor. Ports and valves were so big there was no low or mid range power, and the engine was externally balanced, so if you revved it too much it would blow up.

The 351 C has the same ports and valves, and the addl cubes make it much more drivable. Plus, even though the 350 Z-28 was slower than the 302 Z-28, the 351 Boss (in a much heavier car) was faster than the 302 Boss. So putting a 351 Boss in a 70 Boss body makes perfect sense to me. Of course, I went one better and put a 427 Ford motor in my 70 Boss, but that is another story! (I told folks I had the real Boss Mustang!)
I wasn't arguing against it, just seems to kill the value. But, a car you can use is much better than staring at one in the garage collecting dust.

Shea

There was a decent Boss 351 at the Mecum auction this weekend. I think it went high, but it wasn't my money so I don't have a dog in that fight.

Sorry to stray from the car talk on this thread :laugh: .
I have a splitter engine I need to check out. I've posted this a while ago, so it might sound familiar. I need to take a look at it now because its replacement is falling apart.
It's a B&S Quantum XE 5.5HP engine. I used it once in the cold and it died after a minute of running. I couldn't pull the cord when I tried to restart it. I assumed the oil was too thick and I fried the piston. So I replaced it with a used one I found.
Since then I pulled the cord easily. So I would like to take a look at the piston or at least the cylinder wall before I try to restart it. Not being an engine guy, I'm not sure what I need to do first. I'm guessing remove the spark plug cylinder head? and I should get a view of the wall? Any advice is welcomed.
View attachment 921392
Was the piston scored when you replaced it? What did the cylinder look like? New rings when you put in the used piston? You can look through the plug and check for scoring. If you have one of those cheap scopes you can see pretty clear.

Worked for the Phone Co for 39 years and drove the truck. Living and working in a suburb of Atlanta there was and is a lot of development so I would have opportunity to go into subdivisions that were under construction. I would locate the developer and ask if I icould get some firewood. Never got a no. One subdivision I cut about 20 truck loads over a 12 month period. Retired and much older now so I don't want to csrry wood too far to load truck.Prefer to find wood on the curb or at least be able to park truck & trailer next to it. Right now I use ther Nextdoor app or FB marketplace to find free wood nearby. I go after the small stuff first. What I do is cut the pieces long but not so heavy that I can't lift it. This cuts down my loading time and then I cut it to length when I get home. Have a 1978 Poulan 305A bow saw and a newer Stihl. I do a lot of cutting in summer because most people don't want to work in the heat so I have good luck especially after a storm. Wood harder to find in colder weather but not impossible. I have about 3 cords total but only half is seasoned. I started using a 10 ft utility trailer to haul because it was getting hard to lift thge heavier logs into the bed of my C3500 Chevy plus I can back the trailer into my back yard and drop it then unload later. Still have to put some in the bed jst to provide ballast since truck is not 4WD.

Worked for the Phone Co for 39 years and drove the truck. Living and working in a suburb of Atlanta there was and is a lot of development so I would have opportunity to go into subdivisions that were under construction. I would locate the developer and ask if I icould get some firewood. Never got a no. One subdivision I cut about 20 truck loads over a 12 month period. Retired and much older now so I don't want to csrry wood too far to load truck.Prefer to find wood on the curb or at least be able to park truck & trailer next to it. Right now I use ther Nextdoor app or FB marketplace to find free wood nearby. I go after the small stuff first. What I do is cut the pieces long but not so heavy that I can't lift it. This cuts down my loading time and then I cut it to length when I get home. Have a 1978 Poulan 305A bow saw and a newer Stihl. I do a lot of cutting in summer because most people don't want to work in the heat so I have good luck especially after a storm. Wood harder to find in colder weather but not impossible. I have about 3 cords total but only half is seasoned. I started using a 10 ft utility trailer to haul because it was getting hard to lift thge heavier logs into the bed of my C3500 Chevy plus I can back the trailer into my back yard and drop it then unload later. Still have to put some in the bed jst to provide ballast since truck is not 4WD.
Sounds like you have a good setup for your area.
Welcome to AS/the scrounging thread. If you hang out here you'll find we talk about a lot more than wood here :).
Brett

I have so much wood I can collect on the private property I have access to that I don't have to truly scrounge. BUT, I still do. I was asked by a friend to take a look at a couple oaks that had fallen over a horse trail on a friend's place. I've trimmed most of the trail back and haven't even got to the wood. All in the wood won't come close to filling my dump trailer but by simply helping out and being nice I'll have some wood, made some friends, and my name will be remembered when more wood comes up. Being around Atlanta I would assume most development would keep going to the outskirts.

Shea

Was the piston scored when you replaced it? What did the cylinder look like? New rings when you put in the used piston? You can look through the plug and check for scoring. If you have one of those cheap scopes you can see pretty clear.
To clarify, I never worked on the 'Original' engine that came on the splitter. No piston or ring replacement. I put a 'Used' engine on the splitter and put the 'Original' engine on a shelf in the garage. I tore into the 'Original' engine today and this is what I've found so far:

IMG_0640.jpg

That's oil at the back/bottom of the cylinder wall and not scoring. Can anything be done?

Latest posts

Back