Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could need a bore job as I am assuming it's not nic plated. You have a bunch of aluminum transfer on the cylinder wall. You can clean it with some acid and see if there are any ridges that were worn into the cylinder wall. That top scuff is petty high and I doubt the ring contacts it with the wash it shows on the top of the cylinder. You could probably get by with that If it is fairly ridge free and you can hone it and put in a new piston and rings. I'm also guessing it is an optical illusion but make sure that isn't metal stuck under the top valve. I have no idea on the cost of parts but it may be cheaper buying a new motor. I tend to run things until they are dead if it's a cheap fix and they don't owe me anything.

..... That top scuff is petty high and I doubt the ring contacts it with the wash it shows on the top of the cylinder..... but it may be cheaper buying a new motor.....
Are you saying oil probably didn't get splashed that high up the wall? Was this caused by the oil being too thick (cold) to properly lubricate the cylinder? And yes on parts, that was what I was told by two shops. Just buy another engine.

muriatic acid on a q-tip was my go to method years ago to remove aluminum transfer on 2 stroke accidents:laugh: I'd give it a try here if you have time for a rebuild. I saved a pile of sled cylinders over the years. Had to. We were burnin em up regular. Sure was some good times!
I might give it a try; what have I got to lose?

Are you saying oil probably didn't get splashed that high up the wall? Was this caused by the oil being too thick (cold) to properly lubricate the cylinder? And yes on parts, that was what I was told by two shops. Just buy another engine.
Cold seizures are mostly a myth on 4 strokes. Usually the motor just won't fire. It's tough to say without being able to see the whole cylinder and piston but it almost looks like a heat seizure or ring failure. Could have happened before and ran that way for a bit and just gave the ghost up one day.

The top dark line in the cylinder will never contact the rings. So if the cylinder is salvageable besides that knick on the top you wouldn't have worry about the rings snagging on it and ruining the cylinder or losing compression.

Yes, you are probably right. A lot of people recommend the HF engine, but mine is vertical shaft. Plus I'm mainly doing this to take the fear out of tearing into a motor and to familiarize myself with the task.

I'm close to St. Louis.
In that case it’s worth trying to repair for that reason alone.

Small four strokes are pretty forgiving for rebuilding. Low revving so less to fling apart.

I meant to say also that I've got a chainsaw to work on, too. This will only help me. The used engine that I put on the splitter is shaking itself to death. I lost a couple of bolts and the intake tube, which I JB welded, probably is broken again. Plus the pull cord broke. I've got used spare parts, so I'll work on this first. I need to get the rest of the firewood off my driveway.
I'm guessing cleaning up the transfer on the wall with the piston in tack won't do it? I have to remove the piston first? Not sure how that's done.

So here I was doing a light load of work in my final season before retirement--no more than 3 days a week, and usually done by noon or 1 pm. But my right knee has been a problem in recent years, have been getting injections every few months (this stuff was once made from rooster comb but is now a synthetic something-or-other). This time around, the injections are useless, my knee is swelled up like a grapefruit, and I'm hobbling around on a cane.

Today I've phoned and emailed several people on my work-list letting them know I can't do their work. I go for an MRI in the morning. A knee replacement looks pretty certain.

Had been all enthusiastic about a big scrounge coming up--an in-town arborist with a large job, mostly ash, many loads. A good bit of it is on the ground, but all I can do is look at it. A friend of mine will probably get a bunch this weekend.

Ah well, two months from 70 yrs old I could be doing worse. Am actually looking forward to what's next. A new knee should make me a good deal more mobile than I've been recently.

Anyone wanna buy a chipper? Thought I'd sell it next spring. It might be available soon.

So here I was doing a light load of work in my final season before retirement--no more than 3 days a week, and usually done by noon or 1 pm. But my right knee has been a problem in recent years, have been getting injections every few months (this stuff was once made from rooster comb but is now a synthetic something-or-other). This time around, the injections are useless, my knee is swelled up like a grapefruit, and I'm hobbling around on a cane.

Today I've phoned and emailed several people on my work-list letting them know I can't do their work. I go for an MRI in the morning. A knee replacement looks pretty certain.

Had been all enthusiastic about a big scrounge coming up--an in-town arborist with a large job, mostly ash, many loads. A good bit of it is on the ground, but all I can do is look at it. A friend of mine will probably get a bunch this weekend.

Ah well, two months from 70 yrs old I could be doing worse. Am actually looking forward to what's next. A new knee should make me a good deal more mobile than I've been recently.

Anyone wanna buy a chipper? Thought I'd sell it next spring. It might be available soon.
Sorry to hear that.
My mom just had her hip replaced and will be going in for a knee next, iirc this month.
Let me know which chipper you have(a chuck & duck?) and if I hear of anyone looking I'll send them your direction.

Open to ground :p.

giphy.gif

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Made another new best friend in town. He posted free logs about 5 miles from my house so I went to inspect tonight. Typically when I hear "large pile" or "multiple trailer loads" I'm skeptical. Homeowners usually way overestimate the amount of wood. This does look to be about three trailer loads. So off tomorrow night to start on it. Unfortunately it is almost all pine/fir/spruce of some variety, but easy pickings for shoulder season wood. Pictures tomorrow.

I'm told I have to take the sump and fly wheel off to get to the piston. I can see how to take the sump off, but any tricks to getting the fly wheel off? I hit the nut with WD-40 and tried to use one of the fins to pry against. Popped one of the PLASTIC fins off. I can JB Weld it back on, so I'm not too concerned. Any ideas?

I'm told I have to take the sump and fly wheel off to get to the piston. I can see how to take the sump off, but any tricks to getting the fly wheel off? I hit the nut with WD-40 and tried to use one of the fins to pry against. Popped one of the PLASTIC fins off. I can JB Weld it back on, so I'm not too concerned. Any ideas?
You can stop it with a piston stop tool that threads in through the plug. Most times I just hit it with an air impact and no stop if you have a good one. Check the threads. Lots of LH flywheels out there.

Latest posts

Back