Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk of vertical Vs horizontal. Just get a splitter with a log lift. Makes life so much easier. Big rounds? No issue for me. Roll it on the lift and let the hydraulics do the work. I do wish my work table was a bit bigger but my back doesn't hurt like it does when I'm using my neighbors vertical splitter, or the low to the ground horizontal splitter I borrowed before I built my own. Log splitter 2.0 will have a lot of refinements whenever I get around to building it.
20210627_160723.jpg
Need to get that pile split and under roof this year yet, give it a year to get good and dry for next year.

You'd think a crafty guy could engineer a cable operated log lift operated by hooking to the wedge on the return stroke...a latch to hold it up while you unhook...couple pulleys and some cable.. sounds like a budget build. I may look into it once fishing season is over. Headed out for a week of vacation, camping and fishing. My first break this year if you don't count the 7 weeks after my surgery when I was useless. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

You'd think a crafty guy could engineer a cable operated log lift operated by hooking to the wedge on the return stroke
I've been thinking the same thing. I'm sure it's been done and can find ideas with a little YouTube searching. I seem to recall a homemade vertical splitter with a table here that did something like that.

I am currently not burning wood. all my current house has for wood heat is a fireplace and it wouldnt be very efficient. I plan on rebuilding my log splitter. It is already a beast. 5in bore, 28gpm 2stage pump 27 hp kholer, and a winch boom for loading the big rounds. It will wear you out keeping it fed. I want to change the wedge to one of those Easton Made wedges that automaticly retracts the rounds as it splits. I also want to add a log lift, not so much to lift the rounds as the winch does that, but more for stacking extra rounds on to be split. I am also considering a conveyor. Might even add a winch to drag the log up like the Walenstien. I already have a heavy duty hydraulic saw I build to go on the processor I was building but sold about a year ago. Not in any hurry since I dont burn firewood in the house, but I do lan on building one more house to call my retirement home, and I will have some sort of wood buring stove included in the house design.

Morning guys. Real intense rain here which is fine. Have an appointment to get a new windshield in my truck so I’ll be heading to town soon.

Had a very productive day yesterday between cleaning the garage and doing projects around the yard. Duck hunting starts next weekend so I won’t be around home on weekends until after thanksgiving now.

Had an Interesting day yesterday. Got home from work, started working in the little backhoe. My wife comes up to me in the phone and asks what my plans are? Told her what I was doing. She said her dad wanted us to come down to the steeltown airport. (I rolled my eyes, I don't like flying. Makes me sick) she said her dad specifically said he wanted me to come with. So an hour later we arrived. Greater by her dad, in the back of a truck is a backpack with an engine and prop mounted to it. Instantly knew what new toy he just bought. He got a paramotor. Pretty cool. Don't think it would be my cup of tea, I get sick early every time on on a plane. My wife seemed really into it. Figured she has no hobbies so I would look to see the cost. Yikes@ between $6 and 12k for a full set up, then classes are another $2500.00. She told her dad she would like to try it. So hoping he decides to help out with the cost. My 5yo daughter decided she wanted to do it too lol. Told her she's a little too young for that yet. I'll get some pics up after my wife sends them to me.

I couldn’t afford the Chevelle if I was to buy it now . And the old Chevy trucks are going nuts I can make 5k on the 85 and I’ve only owned it 7 months . All old cars are going crazy my AMX is getting up into the area of Chevelle’s and Camaro’s
I'm sure you have more indoor storage space than I do, which is a big influence on what you can accumulate.

I just have a 2 car garage, so the truck is already outside.

Wanted to build a garage on the back lot in back of my house (I acquired it through a tax sale), but my RE taxes are already over $10,000 and the wife says "how high do you want them to go?".

The tax situation discourages you from living your life around here!

Here are a few pics from yesterday. First one is my fil getting ready to launch. Second one is shortly before landing. The third and fourth are my kids sitting in the apparatus. My daughter really liked it.

Attachments

• 20210919_180014.jpg
    20210919_180014.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210919_190631.jpg
    20210919_190631.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210919_191932.jpg
    20210919_191932.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210919_192034.jpg
    20210919_192034.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
I'm sure you have more indoor storage space than I do, which is a big influence on what you can accumulate.

I just have a 2 car garage, so the truck is already outside.

Wanted to build a garage on the back lot in back of my house (I acquired it through a tax sale), but my RE taxes are already over $10,000 and the wife says "how high do you want them to go?".

The tax situation discourages you from living your life around here!
Ya my moms place is over 12k in Carmel. A few miles from you

@MustangMike get one of these . I ran out of garage space this spring so I bought one as a stop gap till I build either a steel or pole barn both of which will have a minimal impact on my taxes both still considered temporary if i dont pour a floor. I'm going to use paver blocks and do them as I would do a driveway .This is a Rhino commercial canopy rhino-22x24x12-two-car-garage-2.jpg

They consider those temp garage's as sheds, and you can only have one shed per property, and I already have one.

There have been a lot of battles with stuff like that around here.

One of my friends had a 4 car one ... ended up replacing it with a real garage and paying the taxes. It housed mid sixties Lemans and Gran Prix, plus his coupe (small block chevy) and his 68 Vette (with a very rare 327/265 Hp motor). I understand they only produced a few of them early in the model year before going with the 350. He also had (but sold) his 63 409.

He passed, but his wife keeps the cars and still goes to shows, her son helps her out with them. Decades ago, we used to bowl with them.

Hi fellas,

I thought I'd stop in and introduce myself. I'm Cowboy254 and I'm a scrounger. :laugh:

I went out and undertook an armed recon mission of the local designated firewood collection area this arvo. I was hoping for a good peppermint that wasn't too far from the road. I didn't take the trailer as it has been wet and this track gets steep but in the event, my keen scrounging eye fell upon a nice fallen peppermint only about 50m up the road.

21st Sep 6.jpg

It was about 20in at the base.

21st Sep 5.jpg

Surprisingly it was all solid apart from the sapwood being a bit soft in the bottom three rounds.

21st Sep 4.jpg

And then my phone died as usual so there were no more progress pics...

I had Limby and the 241 today and continued on with the 241 until it ran out of fuel.

21st Sep 3.jpg

I wasn't about to leave cut rounds lying about so they went in wherever they'd fit.

21st Sep 2.jpg

Just like old times!

21st Sep 1.jpg

(Here's the old subaru getting some scrounge action back in Nov 2016

Safety first 9th Nov 16.jpg

Haven't done that in a while)

:)

This is for the cast iron forum. Cooking a chicken in the Dutch oven on our campsite. 8 coals under the bottom and 16 on top make for 350°. Yes I know there are 17 on top. Have to change coals out every half hour.
cef27e01689fa49226240c98be7d5b67.jpg
be629b2d51d525b928c056f2a6a72188.jpg
bb856585e5e34bb75acb4451ff0ac92e.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Well guys, got robbed today. 026,261 462 and my dewalt miter saw. Got the Stihl serial #s already on the Stihl stolen saw list. I don't lock my shop during the day as it is only 75 feet from the house but the boss didn't see anyone and she usually does. **** happens and the saws can be replaced.

Latest posts

Back