Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys, got robbed today. 026,261 462 and my dewalt miter saw. Got the Stihl serial #s already on the Stihl stolen saw list. I don't lock my shop during the day as it is only 75 feet from the house but the boss didn't see anyone and she usually does. **** happens and the saws can be replaced.
I hate a thief. I feel your pain

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Loaded up on the top coals for the last half hour to brown the bird. Looking good enough to eat!
69e4e2bd7d3962c1d0c026f72a69dbca.jpg
460306ebb9a39c1fdce9f4a8ffd87d2d.jpg

Loaded up on the top coals for the last half hour to brown the bird. Looking good enough to eat!
69e4e2bd7d3962c1d0c026f72a69dbca.jpg
460306ebb9a39c1fdce9f4a8ffd87d2d.jpg

I read in a book somewhere, that you dig a hole, place in coals and then the dutch oven with a meal like this in it. More coals? on top and then a light covering with dirt. a couple hours later and it's done. No need for refueling. Anyone hear of something like this. BTW, looks great. Now I'm hungry (fish and fried okra in cast iron tonight).

I read in a book somewhere, that you dig a hole, place in coals and then the dutch oven with a meal like this in it. More coals? on top and then a light covering with dirt. a couple hours later and it's done. No need for refueling. Anyone hear of something like this. BTW, looks great. Now I'm hungry (fish and fried okra in cast iron tonight).
Yep, that's the method for pit BBQ. Never done it myself, but back when I butchered hogs I often thought about doing such a thing.

Dig the pit, layer it with huge bunch of coals (this for half a hog), more coals on top, then shovel dirt on top. I think the idea was if you left the hide on the hog, as was our practice, that even a little dirt could be scraped off. I'm dealing with decades of memory here. But you've got me motivated to put something in the dutch oven at camp--where I'll be a week from now until late Oct., can't wait.

Well guys, got robbed today. 026,261 462 and my dewalt miter saw. Got the Stihl serial #s already on the Stihl stolen saw list. I don't lock my shop during the day as it is only 75 feet from the house but the boss didn't see anyone and she usually does. **** happens and the saws can be replaced.
That sucks . I’ll be on the lookout for them on FB and Craigslist

Yep, that's the method for pit BBQ. Never done it myself, but back when I butchered hogs I often thought about doing such a thing.

Dig the pit, layer it with huge bunch of coals (this for half a hog), more coals on top, then shovel dirt on top. I think the idea was if you left the hide on the hog, as was our practice, that even a little dirt could be scraped off. I'm dealing with decades of memory here. But you've got me motivated to put something in the dutch oven at camp--where I'll be a week from now until late Oct., can't wait.
Yes, I think it was more for roast, but the chicken got me thinking. Surround the bird with potatoes, carrots and green beans and pop it in the ground.
Years ago, I built a sand pit for cooking above the ground. Two cut off barrels, one smaller than the other, nested together with sand in between. It worked, but the weight made it impractical for camping.
A month long camp in CO? Elk? I envy you.

My wife has a whole cookbook full of Dutch oven recipes. Very specific on how many coals top and bottom for certain oven temps. Supposed to rotate the lid a quarter turn every 15 minutes. We've made everything from roasts and chicken to chili and cobbler etc. It's time consuming and labor intensive but a fun thing to do on those days you are just planning to sit around.

Sorry for your loss Steve, that sucks!!! Hope they either catch the guy, or you are covered by some insurance.

I have often thought that our dog Lucy has always kept our house safe. Even though she is very friendly, whenever anyone comes near she barks like she wants to rip them apart, then our bigger guy Linus takes a look, (he doesn't bark) but looks "pit" enough to scare anyone who does not know him.

Now Lucy is 14, and often UPS and Fedex deliver to the door, and Lucy does not make a sound!

Gotta tell you, it makes me nervous. Guess I just have to make sure I keep things locked up!

Sorry for your loss Steve, that sucks!!! Hope they either catch the guy, or you are covered by some insurance.

I have often thought that our dog Lucy has always kept our house safe. Even though she is very friendly, whenever anyone comes near she barks like she wants to rip them apart, then our bigger guy Linus takes a look, (he doesn't bark) but looks "pit" enough to scare anyone who does not know him.

Now Lucy is 14, and often UPS and Fedex deliver to the door, and Lucy does not make a sound!

Gotta tell you, it makes me nervous. Guess I just have to make sure I keep things locked up!
I've had the same line of thinking with my Shepard. She's a big baby and just want to be petted. Most the regulars know to pet the dog and drop the package by the door. Sad we live in a time where you get robbed, worse it was when he was home.

Yes, I think it was more for roast, but the chicken got me thinking. Surround the bird with potatoes, carrots and green beans and pop it in the ground.
Years ago, I built a sand pit for cooking above the ground. Two cut off barrels, one smaller than the other, nested together with sand in between. It worked, but the weight made it impractical for camping.
A month long camp in CO? Elk? I envy you.
"month-long camp in CO"--actually not. Kinda crazy, but I live in CO, a neighborhood where people from all over come to vacation, but I go to camp in NY, a few miles from Canada, where I lived years ago. Love the country where I live now, but there's too many of us tromping the same acres. At my NY camp, on acreage that backs up to Indian River, it's rare to see another human being--I have to drive to town for that, and the towns nearby are small places. The town I lived in up there lost its post office 40-some yrs ago due to low population. I think the town population is under 800. Woodland, numerous lakes, rivers, the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence River nearby, but total privacy back at my camp. A mile off the blacktop, then 1/3 mile down a 4-wheel drive track that shows on no map. THAT's where I'll be for most of October.

Didn't get a deer last year, but I've done some prep work and have better hopes for this year. Will have fish aplenty, regardless. Friends & family nearby to visit with. No access to news (don't own a smartphone). A woodstove to heat the place. Pretty tough to beat.

I hate thieves. Hope they find the culprit. I'm seriously considering putting up wifi cameras. Sad that I even have to consider it.

"month-long camp in CO"--actually not. Kinda crazy, but I live in CO, a neighborhood where people from all over come to vacation, but I go to camp in NY, a few miles from Canada, where I lived years ago. Love the country where I live now, but there's too many of us tromping the same acres. At my NY camp, on acreage that backs up to Indian River, it's rare to see another human being--I have to drive to town for that, and the towns nearby are small places. The town I lived in up there lost its post office 40-some yrs ago due to low population. I think the town population is under 800. Woodland, numerous lakes, rivers, the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence River nearby, but total privacy back at my camp. A mile off the blacktop, then 1/3 mile down a 4-wheel drive track that shows on no map. THAT's where I'll be for most of October.

Didn't get a deer last year, but I've done some prep work and have better hopes for this year. Will have fish aplenty, regardless. Friends & family nearby to visit with. No access to news (don't own a smartphone). A woodstove to heat the place. Pretty tough to beat.
I envy you even more! :laugh:

View attachment 930737Here's camp from Oct five years back. I improved it since. Added an outhouse. And built a handrail for the steps. And added onto the little woodshed for more storage. Otherwise, it's pretty hard to improve on that place.
I started out with 7 1/4 acres in the mountains in vt. The first year we slept in the truck we Added a 21” trailer and custom outhouse, I was in heaven.

I hate thieves. Hope they find the culprit. I'm seriously considering putting up wifi cameras. Sad that I even have to consider it.
Wife and I discussed that last evening. Gonna research options later. If any of you guys have/use camera's do you have any recommendations?

I had Limby and the 241 today and continued on with the 241 until it ran out of fuel.

View attachment 930598

I wasn't about to leave cut rounds lying about so they went in wherever they'd fit.

View attachment 930599

Just like old times!

View attachment 930600

(Here's the old subaru getting some scrounge action back in Nov 2016

View attachment 930601

Haven't done that in a while)

:)
I always look at pics from Australia and England, etc and wonder how you drive left hand side.
I'm right-hand dominant so I'd never be able to shift gears with my left.
My wife smacks me when I see it on TV and say, "They're driving on the wrong side of the road"

Sorry to hear that Steve.
People are very brazen sometimes. I hate thieves.
We all work so hard for our things and it sucks to have these a-holes around.
I bet someone that knew or saw the place.
I always lock up my place and sheds, even when popping out for a coffee or working out back.
I'm in the process of planning a front entry gate so no one can drive in to the driveway without calling first.
In design we call it a control point.
Hope it all works out for you and don't be too discouraged, there are some of us good guys still around. Cheers.

Wife and I discussed that last evening. Gonna research options later. If any of you guys have/use camera's do you have any recommendations?
I have a cheap wired system off Amazon. Think it's a zosi (?) Works good enough, has 8 channels. Picture is decent covers most of the house and one shot off to the shed. We've recently been thinking about upgrading to a wireless system and getting a few more cameras. I'm hesitant to rely in battery power in the cameras but having a few in different spots that couldn't be wired up would be nice.

Back