Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a couple things stolen. Now I just lock everything. Locks keep honest folk honest. Lol. If someone really wants in, they'll get in and that's what insurance is for. Perhaps a couple cameras would be a deterrent. I have a few friends with cameras, and they seem to obsess over them all the time. Checking them during dinner out because camera #3 detected motion etc. I don't want to live like that.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

No need to check them, they record I'm a loop. Mine is set for a 7 day period, records over the pervious day. So Monday records over Monday. Depending on your set up and hard drive you can record much longer. Basically never look at mine unless we think something happened. Which fortunately hasn't.

Well guys, got robbed today. 026,261 462 and my dewalt miter saw. Got the Stihl serial #s already on the Stihl stolen saw list. I don't lock my shop during the day as it is only 75 feet from the house but the boss didn't see anyone and she usually does. **** happens and the saws can be replaced.
Very sorry to hear this. Do you still have enough saws to get by? I can send you one of mine if you need one till you get your fleet restored

I have a cellular game camera that I haven’t been able to find since the divorce but it’s new in the box somewhere in my house hopefully. I was going to put that on my driveway so I can see who comes in and out. The strange thing up here is that you got a lot of drive-ins in the fall and the spring. Much less so in the summer and winter.

Very sorry to hear this. Do you still have enough saws to get by? I can send you one of mine if you need one till you get your fleet restored
Thanks Steve but I'm good. Told my dealer when I called him to put 1 or 2 back for me. Going to produce auction tomorrow and he is next door. Haven't talked to ins. co yet to see what they say.

Thanks Steve but I'm good. Told my dealer when I called him to put 1 or 2 back for me. Going to produce auction tomorrow and he is next door. Haven't talked to ins. co yet to see what they say.
Hope they cover them for you.

I had my mini storage broke into last week. I laughed when the lady called to tell me. wasnt anything in the storage worth stealing. When I sold my house, the building was packed, but since moving into the new house, we had pretty much got anything of value out of the storage building. We drove out and took a look, theives had opened a few boxes, but nothing we could tell was missing. It did provide me with a good excuse for cleaning out the building and stop paying rent. I had paid enough rent I could of replaced everything several times over.

I’m pretty much at “camp” all year round nice living in the Catskills . Only a couple of neighbors and the state owns 1700 acres behind me and the City owns a lot too for the water shed . So no building new stuff all the much going on . I own all the way up to the top of the mountain gets a little lonely and desolate in winter. But is so quiet here. 62A0E73C-620B-4424-BFFB-7489C133C685.jpegEF293F58-EC6D-45FE-8C85-7F377A5F1391.jpeg

My Lifan engine wouldn't start last week but it was predictable wear. The hoses were falling apart so I replaced them. I drained out the fuel tank, checked the tank strainer but it was clean and I took apart the carb. I thought the float was the problem but running sea foam often and Starton enzyme the carb was spotless. So I sprayed the jets with carb cleaner but still not starting. I then saw a YouTube for cleaning Honda carbs and did it right and now it runs better than new. Funny that China buys Japanese carbs for there motors. I bought a kit with carb, air cleaner, spark plug and filters for $25 when I was cleaning the carb. That was so cheap I kept it for a back up, not worth sending it back.

I always look at pics from Australia and England, etc and wonder how you drive left hand side.
I'm right-hand dominant so I'd never be able to shift gears with my left.
My wife smacks me when I see it on TV and say, "They're driving on the wrong side of the road"

Well, it's what you get used to. I learned to drive in my grandfather's car (which I stihl have) which had a 'three on the tree' column shift manual transmission which you worked with the left hand. The first time I drove a floor shift was in the USA though so for a period of time I was adept at left hand change for a column shift RHD car and right hand for floor shift LHD car. Then when I first drove a floor shift in Australia I was useless. Promptly put it into 5th and stalled it. :laugh:

Yesterday morning I unloaded Tuesday's scrounge. I had previously moved wood that was stacked outside the shed into the now vacant bay, so there was a little under two rows in there. A bay can hold 20 cubes or 5.5 cord in 9 rows.

22nd Sep 1.jpg

Rounds that fit through the door of the stove comfortably (<11 or 12in) I left unsplit, the rest I split into four or 6. Really easy, one good hit with the X27 even for the biggest rounds.

22nd Sep 3.jpg

The wood was so nice and clean, and I had a bit of time so I thought I'd head back out and pick up the rest of the log. Got there and...

22nd Sep 4.jpg

All gone! Some other scrounger had snagged it in the 18 hours since I was there. You snooze, you lose. There was prolly only half a ute load left anyway but I'm glad I took all the rounds I cut the previous day with me. I went for a bit of a drive but didn't see any other easy pickings so I'll wait until the farm I scrounge at is dry enough to access, shouldn't be long now.

G'day FS, just catching up. Really mad to read of your saws getting pinched. Unfortunately, from what I've seen they normally get away with it. :mad:
Got some promising leads on the jackal. Stihl shop has a photo of a guy that was in last week trying to sell a stolen leaf blower. I showed Mrs FS the pic and she said it was the same guy that had stopped here last week trying to sell some stuff out of his trunk. Keeping my fingers crossed.

And that right there sums up why I don't like strangers on my property.
The guy pulled up when the boss was getting the mail along the road. Kinda hard not to have people here when I'm selling firewood and produce. Everthing is within shotgun range, if I see 'em and they shouldn't be here.

"month-long camp in CO"--actually not. Kinda crazy, but I live in CO, a neighborhood where people from all over come to vacation, but I go to camp in NY, a few miles from Canada, where I lived years ago. Love the country where I live now, but there's too many of us tromping the same acres. At my NY camp, on acreage that backs up to Indian River, it's rare to see another human being--I have to drive to town for that, and the towns nearby are small places. The town I lived in up there lost its post office 40-some yrs ago due to low population. I think the town population is under 800. Woodland, numerous lakes, rivers, the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence River nearby, but total privacy back at my camp. A mile off the blacktop, then 1/3 mile down a 4-wheel drive track that shows on no map. THAT's where I'll be for most of October.

Didn't get a deer last year, but I've done some prep work and have better hopes for this year. Will have fish aplenty, regardless. Friends & family nearby to visit with. No access to news (don't own a smartphone). A woodstove to heat the place. Pretty tough to beat.
Drove through that area a few months back and loved it. Seems like there was more Amish in the area than anything.

Well guys, got robbed today. 026,261 462 and my dewalt miter saw. Got the Stihl serial #s already on the Stihl stolen saw list. I don't lock my shop during the day as it is only 75 feet from the house but the boss didn't see anyone and she usually does. **** happens and the saws can be replaced.
Sorry to hear Steve. Let James Miller know. He is more active on FB and I know he checks marketplace for saws. More local to you and could keep a closer eye.

I hate when bad things happen to good people.

Forums come and go. Hoping AS stays the same but I have my doubts. Same thing happened to a local car forum, Yellowbullet. It was sold, 3rd party came in and inundated it with ads and formatting issues that were so nauseating, I left.

I hope data and all the GOOD tech info and information sharing is not lost in the handover.That to me is invaluable along with the great group of guys in this thread.

Back