Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome score.
Did it come with the adapter that runs directly to the tank for the 5200 :laugh: .
Hey, don't you have trusses to set?? White stuff was falling in The Soo this morning when I was loading my truck, and it was moving south, you better get the lid on that barn!!

Hey, don't you have trusses to set?? White stuff was falling in The Soo this morning when I was loading my truck, and it was moving south, you better get the lid on that barn!!
It made it down to 38 this morning.
2 more weeks until my trusses are scheduled to be here.
I'm just about ready for them, weather dependent by the end of next week I'll start looking for the truss truck. When I get done with the building portion next week I have plenty of grading, both inside and out to do.
If you see a good price on 4x8x1/2 osb let me know, I need 92 pieces as soon as the trusses are set.
The current situation.
20211021_185129.jpg20211021_185113.jpg20211021_185208.jpg

Hey all.

Doing some hunting tomorrow morning through mid day then heading to the “adult prom” event that the local watering hole is putting on. I asked one of my Facebook friends to join me and she accepted. I’ve not met her in person but she’s thin, cute, and blonde so I certainly could have done worse. Wish me luck!
Good luck @svk ! Cut a load for us :surprised3: :laugh:

I climbed back up to Base Camp to have another crack at the big peppermint log. There were the first signs of softness in there and a glance up the butt of the log showed that it is hollow in the bottom few metres. However, there was stihl enough good wood to justify another scrounge.

23rd Oct 5.jpg

I took off 4.5 rounds for the session.

23rd Oct 6.jpg

Ended up at this point where it was becoming debatable whether it was worthwhile.

23rd Oct 1.jpg

Going back to where I started and having taken I think more than 8 cubes out of it.

23rd Oct 4.jpg

Here's today's results

23rd Oct 2.jpg

23rd Oct 3.jpg

Good news! Mitch says he has a tree down just inside the gate at the farm. I'll have a crack at that tomorrow.

:)

My new ATV trailer arrived from Amazon yesterday. A Polar HDM 1400, can hold 1,400 lbs, is 92" X 51" X 36", has a real heavy duty axel and wide tires, and dumps!

Should be perfect for transporting fire wood and gravel/stone around on the old logging trails up at my property.

Slowly but surely I build up my equipment inventory ... hopefully technology helps to make up for my aging!

The logical answer is all three. 20" bar on the 400, 24 on the 462, and a 28 on the 500. I'd only need 3 saws then.

That's the last thing I should be reading. I "need" something between the 261 and 661, I tell myself it'll primarily run a 20" bar that they 661 will wear the 28" or bigger if need be. I also want to upgrade the 261 to a newer style but probably shouldn't be spending that much on saws.

That's the last thing I should be reading. I "need" something between the 261 and 661, I tell myself it'll primarily run a 20" bar that they 661 will wear the 28" or bigger if need be. I also want to upgrade the 261 to a newer style but probably shouldn't be spending that much on saws.

An MS362/20" is a fine bucking saw. MS441 is a bit faster. My main saw is a 362 with MS193T for limbinng. Ms441 for bigger bucking (24" to28" bar) and noodling. 441/20" with a bar cover without the chain catcher is a noodling king!!!

You need yourself a 36” bar there Cowboy, the 661 will run up to a 42” bar if required.
One of these would be nice.
https://www.carbydoctor.com.au/cannon-duralite-superbar-36-chainsaw-bar-for-stihl
Morning Jeff, I have thought about getting a long bar for it for several years, although even with the 36in bar, I'd stihl be cutting from both side on this log (it was roughly 54in, measured with size 10 boots. I suppose I don't come across really big logs very often so it wouldn't see much use. Also I had one incident with this other log ...

29th Nov 3.jpg

Where I cut a whole round (from both sides) and once through, it rolled a couple of inches towards me and pinned my left hand on the handle of the saw. I was stuck and the round was too heavy to move with the position I was in. After a little bit I was eventually about to weasel out of the glove, was a bit bruised but no serious damage but I could have been caught there until someone found me. So the 'cut to the depth of the bar then noodle off' approach is one I like as the half round falls off sideways and in any case I'd probably end up noodling the round any way so may as well do it at a comfortable height. I don't bother with the full on criss-cross noodling like I did above, that was a bit of an experiment.

I assembled the ATV trailer today, and I'm impressed with the quality of it. Will try to get some pics tomorrow. I added a bed and a strap handle (they should come with one).

Also, ordered the glass for sliding glass doors for my gun cabinet yesterday, so today I added some trim around the brackets I installed for the glass. Wanted to make sure I could get the size glass I needed before I finished things up. The glass was not cheap, but should be here in 2-3 weeks. I was glad the 2nd glass place I called was helpful, as the first place never even got back to me.

Mechanic Matt took his girls up to my cabin last night, so they could site in some guns today. He found some real nice buck sign 30 yards from my stand! Fingers Crossed! No one got the 8 pointer we were after last year. He ripped up my property real well then, and likely will again this year! I'll be going up with my Daughter on Monday/Tuesday to hunt turkey and grouse.

I still get a lot done, but the older you get, the faster the days go by. I need to figure out a way to slow the clock!

As Rondeau (the Adirondack Hermit) put it "Father Time keeps picking my pocket, and I can't seem to get him to stop".

I assembled the ATV trailer today, and I'm impressed with the quality of it. Will try to get some pics tomorrow. I added a bed and a strap handle (they should come with one).

Also, ordered the glass for sliding glass doors for my gun cabinet yesterday, so today I added some trim around the brackets I installed for the glass. Wanted to make sure I could get the size glass I needed before I finished things up. The glass was not cheap, but should be here in 2-3 weeks. I was glad the 2nd glass place I called was helpful, as the first place never even got back to me.

Mechanic Matt took his girls up to my cabin last night, so they could site in some guns today. He found some real nice buck sign 30 yards from my stand! Fingers Crossed! No one got the 8 pointer we were after last year. He ripped up my property real well then, and likely will again this year! I'll be going up with my Daughter on Monday/Tuesday to hunt turkey and grouse.

I still get a lot done, but the older you get, the faster the days go by. I need to figure out a way to slow the clock!

As Rondeau (the Adirondack Hermit) put it "Father Time keeps picking my pocket, and I can't seem to get him to stop".
Looking forward to trailer pictures. I'm thinking I should get one and this one looks interesting. Curious to see what you're adding,

Hope ya can get that buck Mike. I hear you on the time flying. I'm a month behind on cutting wood and rut is starting here. Decisions,decisions.

Middle bay in the shed is looking better now. After taking this photo I think I worked out how to make the pics true. This one makes it look like there is about 3 feet of space in front of the bottom row where there is only room for one more row in front of it. So, a little over 16 cubes in there now, almost all peppermint with a few sticks of spotted gum. Bay holds 20 cubes or 5.5 cord.

24th Oct 3.jpg

Then I went out to Mitch's farm. The tree he mentioned looks like it has a fair bit of rot in it but I'll have a go at it and see. Looking further up the track to my turnaround spot I saw that another tree had fallen across so I went up to clear it and take what scroungable wood was in it. The trunk was inaccessible suspended across the creek to the left.

24th Oct 1.jpg

Unfortunately, this tree also had been hit hard by termites. I kept the rounds whole and will stihl fit in the stove, and the termite junk inside will burn with the rest.

24th Oct 2.jpg

Stihl, a wise man once said that it'll burn better than snowballs. I'll have a go at the other tree another day.

:)

Do you burn a bay a winter cowboy? That is a fair bit.

I'm behind on most jobs but ahead on wood. 2.5 cube at mum's and she's complaining there's to much until she's burnt some (that's after my brother built the second little wood shed too). My place is full too, about 28 cube here. I got a message from my old faithful tree guy though on Friday so helped him out by collecting a little more, third of a cube maybe, cherry.

Latest posts

Back