Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burned some pine tonight, nice having some scraps around, but man are they expensive lol.
Now I have a load going of 4 splits of cherry and one locust.
I looked at the temp about an hr ago and it was still 44 so It may get a little warm in here by morning.
This morning I reloaded the stove not realizing how warm it was out(34), it was a bit hot in here, didn't even add anything until I built a fire an hr ago.
View attachment 943879
That your wood “shed” 🤣

I’m burning hard maple right now in the NE. Stuff is hard as nails and creates some great coals with very little ash.
F09A39EA-E577-405A-9F64-E388BED7B86C.jpeg

Anniversary

Holy F-word Batman! Tomorrow is my 15th anniversary with this site! I was just casually looking for some info on grinding chains, made up a ‘throwaway’ name for a single visit, and now look at all the time and money this place, and you jokers, have cost me!!!

Anyway, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, so I probably would miss posting this note of self importance.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!

Philbert
I’m right behind ya bud….but with much less time spent here over the years!

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

OK, wood heat ,,,

The first night opening WE up at the cabin it was 30 when we went to bed and 22 in the am, and the cabin was perfect.

Second night it was 30 when we went to bed, so I loaded the stove again, but it stayed at 30! We had to open the windows upstairs and get out of our sleeping bags!

Those 55 gal drum wood stoves can sure put out some heat!

Cabin is 20 X 24 - 2 stories hight. Uninsulated, the walls are just 5/8" plywood.

We plan to insulate the ceiling, as when it gets to about 10* the stove has trouble keeping it warm. May also insulate the walls upstairs.

Is that required? I haven’t heard of it here.
It isn't required. I just don't shoot very much at all & never want to go out into the woods without knowing where my rounds are going to end up. The Dane Co. sherriff's department has a nice setup for those of us who don't have access to a range.

OK, wood heat ,,,

The first night opening WE up at the cabin it was 30 when we went to bed and 22 in the am, and the cabin was perfect.

Second night it was 30 when we went to bed, so I loaded the stove again, but it stayed at 30! We had to open the windows upstairs and get out of our sleeping bags!

Those 55 gal drum wood stoves can sure put out some heat!

Cabin is 20 X 24 - 2 stories hight. Uninsulated, the walls are just 5/8" plywood.

We plan to insulate the ceiling, as when it gets to about 10* the stove has trouble keeping it warm. May also insulate the walls upstairs.
If you fully insulate, it will be a game changer. You might even need a smaller stove!

When I went from partially insulated to fully, I was able to get rid of my second heater. Now we run the propane heater at one to two clicks above low versus running it on high and needing a second one on cold nights.

If you fully insulate, it will be a game changer. You might even need a smaller stove!

When I went from partially insulated to fully, I was able to get rid of my second heater. Now we run the propane heater at one to two clicks above low versus running it on high and needing a second one on cold nights.
A lot of you fellers are probably doing this by now but if you haven’t tried it, this fire starting idea will forever end your kindling gathering!!
Buy a bag of wood pellets for the pellet stoves. Put a coffee cup full in the stove, squirt on about a table spoon of rubbing alcohol, lamp oil or your favorite combustible on the pellets. Stack firewood around it, light it and forget it. You have a fire! I haven’t “gathered kindling “ since trying it.

A lot of you fellers are probably doing this by now but if you haven’t tried it, this fire starting idea will forever end your kindling gathering!!
Buy a bag of wood pellets for the pellet stoves. Put a coffee cup full in the stove, squirt on about a table spoon of rubbing alcohol, lamp oil or your favorite combustible on the pellets. Stack firewood around it, light it and forget it. You have a fire! I haven’t “gathered kindling “ since trying it.
Great tip Bob.
That's how I lite my pellet stove, it does work well.
You can also use a sealable container and put the pellets in that and add a couple teaspoons of rubbing alcohol then pour them out as needed. Although some brands of pellets work better than others, some will fall apart within a few days.
Do you have all your wood for the yr, next?

Great tip Bob.
That's how I lite my pellet stove, it does work well.
You can also use a sealable container and put the pellets in that and add a couple teaspoons of rubbing alcohol then pour them out as needed. Although some brands of pellets work better than others, some will fall apart within a few days.
Do you have all your wood for the yr, next?
Yes sir. Still need to stack / cover next years but it in the barn lot waiting.

I buy a bag of pine wood chips at TSC. Place a handfull on top of a paper towel, stack dry wood on top and light. One bale of chips lasted me a couple of years.Works awful well to restart a fire from a bed of almost burnt out coals

That your wood “shed” 🤣

I’m burning hard maple right now in the NE. Stuff is hard as nails and creates some great coals with very little ash.
View attachment 943880
I see what you did there lol.
This is my woodshed, the wood missing from the left side is what we've burned this season. You can see the chickens are getting their pumpkin for Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving guys.
20211125_084706.jpg

Latest posts

Back