Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a wake up call yessterday. I'm working on the split/pile of around 6 cord so willow - my years harvest other than about 2 cord B Locust I cut off the 'small locust' find. First day out I hauled, split and piled 2 good size loads on a large garden trailer (4'x4'). cam back in the house dog tired. I've cut it down to H/S/P 2 loads and S/P one of them, Next day is pile the prior day's last load and then H/S/P another load. Takes about 2 hours. Then I realized it wasn't very many years ago I was jsut getting warmed up after 2 hours, now I',m quitting after two.

Sure does cut down on production!!
If you can do 2 hours at 86, I call that a win! Hope the rest of us can live up to that.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I seem to remember there was a 351 SL in the mix. Don't know if they can prove which guns did them in.
I believe I read it in an older edition of “Cartridges of the World”. Haven’t seen the 351 listed anywhere on the internet nor was it featured in the Costner flick “The Highwaymen” which btw is a great movie.

Well lay the wood to er and get over it, can she even run a saw or feed the fire?
Like I said. They are a funny species.

For those of you who have one that is beautiful, not bitchy or controlling, and has work ethic….count your blessings.

Its easy to find one that has one of the three. Beyond that not so much.

Because of the problem with mice, we are just planning to put up 2" hard insulation like we used under the concrete floor. Spaced 2" from the top for a vent, there will still be room in the 2 X 10 rafters.

Just needs to be enough to make a difference, it is not often that the stove has trouble keeping up, but on those cold and windy days it does (when it gets near 10*).
I had a problem with mice, then after I made my outdoor cooker the only thing that changes was I had charcoal in the cabin. Three years later still none, and everything gets left out now. Still gotta deal will coons and bears but no mice. This past deer hunt I had a barred owl show up so Im trying to make him a new home to move into.

Every article seems to have it different, some say two Model 8s in 35 rem, etc.

The most detailed I see says Hamer had a 30 Cal Mdl 8, another guy had a 35 rem Mdl 8, another a 25 cal Mdl 8, a Model 94, a BAR, and some shot guns.

While 351s were used by law enforcement, maybe not here!

It also says Hamer was wounded 17 times and may have killed 70 people!

Every article seems to have it different, some say two Model 8s in 35 rem, etc.

The most detailed I see says Hamer had a 30 Cal Mdl 8, another guy had a 35 rem Mdl 8, another a 25 cal Mdl 8, a Model 94, a BAR, and some shot guns.

While 351s were used by law enforcement, maybe not here!

It also says Hamer was wounded 17 times and may have killed 70 people!
Definitely an interesting character. Would have been great to pull up a chair and listen to him speak.

Actually, the 351 Winchesters had an "optional" law enforcement modification that allowed them to use 20 round clips.

This option was not available to the general public.

My Uncle had a collection of Winchesters and had all 4 of the early semi auto chamberings (I believe it was 32, 350, 351 and 401). The 351 was by far the longest of the 4 cartridges, and had power not too far off from a 35 Remington. It was considered (at the time) good for deer at close range in heavy brush. Power was midway between a 357 and 35 Rem.

Actually, the 351 Winchesters had an "optional" law enforcement modification that allowed them to use 20 round clips.

This option was not available to the general public.

My Uncle had a collection of Winchesters and had all 4 of the early semi auto chamberings (I believe it was 32, 350, 351 and 401). The 351 was by far the longest of the 4 cartridges, and had power not too far off from a 35 Remington. It was considered (at the time) good for deer at close range in heavy brush. Power was midway between a 357 and 35 Rem.
Finally got to shoot my original not re issue
870 wingmaster yesterday. My what a classy 12 ga!!!!!
She gave me 3 rounds about an inch apart at 50 yards- open sights. No sand bags or shooters rest. Pretty good for a slug gun.

Attachments

• 8C874B18-A70B-4095-A1DB-B5E547F358BA.jpeg
    8C874B18-A70B-4095-A1DB-B5E547F358BA.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
Before saboted shotgun slugs were common, Turkey Shoots with slug guns (offhand) were quite common. Even the local Rotary sponsored them for fund raising.

I won a lot of turkeys with my 870 at them. No sights, just a 28" modified choke barrel w/o a vent rib. It used to throw those old 1 Oz slugs real well (usually they were Remington). I was often in the 10 ring, which was about the size of a quarter.

Often my competition was using the Ithaca 37 slug barrel guns, but I held my own against them. I think the 28" barrel helped me with a steadier hold that made up for not having sights.

Back