Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never done an engine flush, least not since the upgraded anti-freeze to not need changing every year or two.

With the modern synthetic oils, is there really any purpose to it?
I can only speak from experience. I’ve never used anything but valvoline 10w30 and have put 300k on multiple chevys with it. Myself I see no need for the overpriced stuff.

Brother and sister charged with cutting down 250 year old, 207 inch circumference, black walnut tree to sell for $2K cash. Tree reported to be at least 7 feet off their property, in an Ohio public park. Wood later sold for $10K.

Property had been in the family for many years, and was up for sale. Accused says he was trying to help cover taxes.

(Washington Post article on Facebook- link will not post here).

Philbert

I always look for that kind of deal so I have back up bar oil for winter. Sometimes finding winter grade bar oil in my area is tough. Great score :numberone:
there are some threads on ths AS site... purporting that for bar lube... used engine oil is the way to go...

wondering then, if old diesel engine oil would be the best? :popcorn2:

Brought a stack up by the door yesterday while it was mild. We are the same Neil, we haven't burned much. 2.5 facecord. Now it's -a bunch Celsius which converts to -not as much Fahrenheit but still just as cold. I imagine that stack will disappear more quickly than the last one. Supposed to -30°C with the wind chill tonight

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
:cold:

high winds here today, tomorrow, too! then there are the gusts. rattling every last leaf and pine needle out of the trees... or trying! 27f CF here tomorrow with the winds. glad i am not in the Marathon to be run tomorrow...

so windy currently can hear the roar outside...

there are some threads on ths AS site... purporting that for bar lube... used engine oil is the way to go...

That waste oil for bar oil thread is something else to say the least! I tend to avoid it as much as running waste oil in my saws. But I would try the hydraulic oil though as it's pretty clean still. One guy drains all his equipment and has 50+ gallons of that liquid gold. Funny how guys spend 1000$ on a saw but won't buy a gal of bar oil for 10$

I ended up getting a coil from my dealer. Installed it last night and it started on the first pull.:dancing: It was flooded from pulling the crap out of the other night so it didn't even need any choke. Now I need to run a tank through it to make sure it's good. I think I'm still going to find him a different saw. A MS241 sounds perfect. He really liked running my 026.
speaking of old timers - i sure like mine! still close to NIB after all these years....

I ruined some bars using old engine oil, so I don't use it anymore.

The bar oil is much tackier and not expensive, so if it keeps my B+Cs going longer, I'm using it! I also only run Stihl chains, which are not cheap, but also last long.

That waste oil thread is like a good old bar brawl lol lots of keyboard punches thrown :laughing:

I can only speak from experience. I’ve never used anything but valvoline 10w30 and have put 300k on multiple chevys with it. Myself I see no need for the overpriced stuff.
me, too... more or less. a 10w30, or a 10w40... its all the same, actually... or so said my neighbor a career Phd Chemist for the Shell Oil Company... just a bit dif in the cracking sequence! imo, not bad oil, but pricey. for those who don't want to change it too often. lol. still lubes full of carbon grit combustion by-products! ;) for our new vehicles i do follow the guidelines.. a 5W30 or a 10w30. for a cheap tune-up... i have always said, 'just change the oil!' the throttle response improvement is noticeable and immediate...

:drinkingcoffee:

That waste oil for bar oil thread is something else to say the least! I tend to avoid it as much as running waste oil in my saws. But I would try the hydraulic oil though as it's pretty clean still. One guy drains all his equipment and has 50+ gallons of that liquid gold. Funny how guys spend 1000$ on a saw but won't buy a gal of bar oil for 10$
Stihl Silver: bar lube

:givebeer:: Miller tins, 16 oz...

but i am ok with a Bud tin, 16 oz, or a Coors or Oly ~

each to their own
:cheers:

That waste oil thread is like a good old bar brawl lol lots of keyboard punches thrown :laughing:

lol,! reminds me of the news blip on the tv yesterday.. guy gets sucker slugged unexpectedly in store! didn't to his eye well at all! :omg:

i may be wrong, but i am thinking some of those threads we modded-moved over to P/R... so the battles could continue...

engine oil vs the good stuff!
1642264074402.png

I ruined some bars using old engine oil, so I don't use it anymore.

The bar oil is much tackier and not expensive, so if it keeps my B+Cs going longer, I'm using it! I also only run Stihl chains, which are not cheap, but also last long.
can be useful, though... :rolleyes: i remember my Dad liked to use or get ahold of it... and put it out on the old hiway road we lived on - rural farm - to keep the dust down as the college kids would speed by...

worked pretty good i can remember

Tex , ifin you won't put it in your Cessina then don't t put in as bar oil ! lol. :laughing:

Back