Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I didn't know that. We had an Ames in town back when I used to hustle pallets. I had a contract to haul all of there's away. When they shut the doors I thought they were gone, gone. Glad to hear they are still in business. I think my Plumb Ax display is an Ames, will check.

Steve, is this Arbor1 the real deal? Got a PM for being such an upright member of the "Scroungers Club"
Me too .

Depends on the firewood, but my 28" and 24" bars also see occasional action, and I first purchased a 36" B+C when I had to drop a 40" Red Oak that was not too far from a house. Now I use my 36" bars (2) mostly for milling or stumping.

The 24" bar is nice, even if not needed for the bucking, as it will stay sharp longer (it has more teeth), and is still pretty nimble. I like the NLA E bars, as they are a lot lighter than the ES bars.
I use my MS461 with a 25" bar for felling and bucking 14"-38" trees/logs. For anything smaller I use the MS261 with an 18" bar. I've only used the 36" bar for milling with rip chain. The Stihl Rapid Super chain I bought for it has never been out of the box...

I think I lean toward 20” and under because I can usually pick them up whole and set them in the bed of my dump trk. The bed is about 4’ high. Easier for me to wrestle on the splitter too.
Funny how we all have different preferences. All good tho!! You take the whoppers and I’ll take the 20” and under!!
I had a big oak that a friend gave me. I calculated that a firewood length bolt from the trunk was about 400-450 lbs. I had to quarter each bolt to get them to and into the truck. I split it all with a wedge and sledge. It made nice firewood but it was a lot of work!

Meanwhile back at the 36" bar ranch. I just like all aspects of saws and firewood. The sounds the smells the comradery between all involved. Being in the woods, working hard and having fun. Having stuff to talk about as my life is very simple nowadays. Seeing guys cutting big wood, chips flying was always fascinating to me. 24" and 65cc was as big as me and my dad had. He sold his super 754 along time ago and I started looking for one recently now that he is retired and wanting to have fun with him before he's gone. Now I have 2 754s and a few more old remingtons. Making videos, cutting wood, felling trees, and all the thought and work that goes into safe felling is an adventure to say the least. Even if we only use it once the memory will last a lifetime. When the guys we know are gone that we enjoyed hanging out with we will be scrounging the memories we had with them.

I'm turning 34 next month and I'm just about to the point where I'm going to take my 5.5 year old son back to the wood to load the trailer. He and my middle son who's 3 fight over who gets to bring the wood in from the porch and stack it next to the stove. I can only hope they hold onto and cherish the memories.

My grandpa who is now passed, burned wood when my dad was a kid. Dad always says he hated cutting firewood so we never did growing up. Hearing the stories I don't blame him!

I re-powered the old splitter they built when dad was a kid and still use it. He burns now in his shop but gets all the free oak pallets he could ever burn.

Ahh the memories.

Does anyone have a Sears saw? When I was a teenager, my Dad put a fireplace in the house. He got a Sears saw because it was recommended by my Uncle. And no Stihl dealers around at the time. All I remember is it was light blue and white with, I think, a 20" B&C. Both my Dad and Uncle's were hard to start and my Uncle told my Dad yo had to turn the saw upside down, for a minute and then it would start. And it would start. Heavy, but it was a cutter. When I bought him the Stihl 038, which I now have, he sold it to some a friend for like $50. They guy worked on it, replaced a defective part, and it started normal after that. Man I wish I had that saw back. Probably would have handled a 28" B&C.

Does anyone have a Sears saw? When I was a teenager, my Dad put a fireplace in the house. He got a Sears saw because it was recommended by my Uncle. And no Stihl dealers around at the time. All I remember is it was light blue and white with, I think, a 20" B&C. Both my Dad and Uncle's were hard to start and my Uncle told my Dad yo had to turn the saw upside down, for a minute and then it would start. And it would start. Heavy, but it was a cutter. When I bought him the Stihl 038, which I now have, he sold it to some a friend for like $50. They guy worked on it, replaced a defective part, and it started normal after that. Man I wish I had that saw back. Probably would have handled a 28" B&C.
I have a Sears but not blue I think orange or tan/ with white. Will send a pic next time I’m out there.

Latest posts

Back