Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a 52" on a 1956 Homelite 7-29. Keep feeding and watering your 36" and it will grow.
jO9637p.jpg
Love the suicide handle

Does anyone have a Sears saw? When I was a teenager, my Dad put a fireplace in the house. He got a Sears saw because it was recommended by my Uncle. And no Stihl dealers around at the time. All I remember is it was light blue and white with, I think, a 20" B&C. Both my Dad and Uncle's were hard to start and my Uncle told my Dad yo had to turn the saw upside down, for a minute and then it would start. And it would start. Heavy, but it was a cutter. When I bought him the Stihl 038, which I now have, he sold it to some a friend for like $50. They guy worked on it, replaced a defective part, and it started normal after that. Man I wish I had that saw back. Probably would have handled a 28" B&C.

Was it one of these. I have one actually 2 I have a green one too they are currently apart the blue one is my best chance to get one running. H58G gear drive they made a couple direct drives too they look almost the same AH58 Tecumseh is it 100cc

I take all of it. The trailer has a ramp, so the big stuff rolls in there. The truck is too high, and perfect for smaller lighter logs.
You are spot on there. At times I take my 16’ landscape trailer and it’s way easy to load. Some places I scrounge won’t allow a trailer.
a 4x4 truck is risky enough! Creeks, mt Everest etc.
whatever works at the time I guess

Does anyone have a Sears saw? When I was a teenager, my Dad put a fireplace in the house. He got a Sears saw because it was recommended by my Uncle. And no Stihl dealers around at the time. All I remember is it was light blue and white with, I think, a 20" B&C. Both my Dad and Uncle's were hard to start and my Uncle told my Dad yo had to turn the saw upside down, for a minute and then it would start. And it would start. Heavy, but it was a cutter. When I bought him the Stihl 038, which I now have, he sold it to some a friend for like $50. They guy worked on it, replaced a defective part, and it started normal after that. Man I wish I had that saw back. Probably would have handled a 28" B&C.
I think mine is real close to this.
if you can’t find exactly what you are looking for but this would be a feel good saw for you, I’m not attached for any reason. Just another saw to me. I’m sure we could figure something out.

Attachments

• 90E1E30F-8E66-4EB0-B1CC-F03B4B4C6AF4.png
    90E1E30F-8E66-4EB0-B1CC-F03B4B4C6AF4.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
I think mine is real close to this.
if you can’t find exactly what you are looking for but this would be a feel good saw for you, I’m not attached for any reason. Just another saw to me. I’m sure we could figure something out.

At a glance it looks like it’s just a different color.

Lol my dust is 1/4” square at least. We grow big dust here in Morgan co.
lol

i think some of the guys here prefer 1/4 x 3/8ths... lol, but plenty of us still get excited at seeing :surprised3: quarter by quarter! :cool:

I fired up my lil Echo and walked across the street for this afternoon's firewood scrounge. oak. bit more than campwood! to me, sorta like free :envy:. if it's within hand reach... why not??

Yeh, I'm quite jealous of him too.
I try to avoid that, walking in another mans shoes isn't a good idea lol.
I'll let you have what I cut today, and the repairs on my saw ;).
For sure needs a new handlebar and the brake flag is damaged, it still running and cutting fine though.
I went to pick up the cherry log that's over by the tractor and it rolled off the back side, then I "saw the saw" :dumb:. The log looks small in the picture, it's at least 10' x 18", the log to the left of the saw is about 5'x 15"
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.44.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.44.52 AM.png

I have so many saws that need ran. 290,034,011,cub I got going last week, a pioneer holiday 10-10 lightweight & two pro 10-10’s. Still need to run roadkill ( super 10-10) a little more too. Not quite where I want it yet. Wish I was closer!!! We’d make some serious sawdust!!!
Better get here quick, I'm tearing the piles up, and my saws
:laugh:
Ok brufab ..... here you go. Kinda small chips. Chain must need attention! Lol
I see what you did there lol.
Funny how small the chips are cutting locust.

I always have to school people on how to cook with mesquite. Most don't understand that you can't just toss in raw mesquite. It's a grilling wood but must be burned down to coals before you start cooking on it.
Where is Echoville? and do you sell mesquite? I'm looking for a closer source. I know it gets cheaper the farther west and south west you go.

hi sb - i can remember my first introductioin to mesquite. we were drilling for oil is S Texas down bit W of Del Rio... and one afternoon, some cooking over mesquite was planned. and i was advised. hot! was quite amazed at how hot it burned and burned down to. E'ville is a bit S of the Pan Handle, not too far from Waco... ;). well, so says my GPS. :rolleyes: Brufab knows where it is. :) no, have not sold any. i just let the big acerage grow on its own. drop the pods. and the few other spots, pick up drop. and for a lot of the place... i'ts a pita and maintenance is on-going. our fav bbq joint smokes with it as an accent. usually uses pecan or hickory. had some melt-in-mouth brisket other day, and today for lunch a day old sliced brisket sam. their meats, pickles and sauce. my onions, and bun. bit on the real tasty side!!! :yes:

very good gennie Texas BBQ ~
P1010010.JPG

I got that looooong dust🤪 could that be because of the type of cutter? Looks like I'm noodling while bucking :laughing:. The old guy who sharpens said he hasn't seen cutters like this since the late 80's. I have no clue on saw chain unless marked on the box, guessing the chain is from late 60's or early 70's
know what you mean Bf ~ me, too! lol

but when they say, 'batteries not included.'... i catch on fast! lol

Old popple was the wood cut. Probly only 12-18 months left before it would be bonfire wood.
You mean like this :blob2:.
This was this morning, and then I added a few more sticks during the day.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.58.10 AM.png

Tonight I was about to settle in at 10, then I got an idea to run out and add more wood to the fire and get three wheelbarrow loads of wood for the house lol.
I don't know how many logs I put on, but I know the pile is at least 10' wide, 5' deep and 5' high.
Heard of face cords, federal cords, half cords and full cords, this is a bonfire cord:laughing:.
I came back in the house at 12am 😯. Oh well, I got a lot done today, and the temps are dropping from here on out. It's actually 39 here right now, that fire really warmed things up:happy:.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.59.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 1.00.09 AM.png

I believe that is sort of the word Pres Roosevelt used to describe the attack on Pearl Harbor. (A day that shall live in infamy!)
yes! yes, indeed!! infamy was a good choice of words for his speech that day. 'well known for some bad quality or deed'

'an evil act' is one of its definitions.

as a bit of history to share... in 1941 my Mom lived in HI... and saw some of the events of that day from where her family lived. family had sailed over from San Diego, sold the 2-master and then set up houshold... just below area where Diamond Head is.

to fast forward a few years... I was born in Hawaii... and for the family that was a glorious day! lol, not a day to live in infamy... :)

FS, thanks for the information. Two of my 3 wheelbarrows are True Temper.

This one was re-claimed from the dead and has my Chainsawed Shag Bark Hickory handles! The pic is a distortion, they are level.
I was wrong about mine. the brace comment is correct, but the co logo 'True Temper USA' is molded into the bucket in read and has several large decals... used it this afternoon to pick of a drop-in walk it in wood scrounge from across the street. 10 cu in. bucket is a composite, not metal
P1010011.JPGP1010012.JPGP1010013.JPG
decal on both sides of bucket

I was wrong about mine. the brace comment is correct, but the co logo 'True Temper USA' is molded into the bucket in read and has several large decals... used it this afternoon to pick of a drop-in walk it in wood scrounge from across the street. 10 cu in. bucket is a composite, not metal
View attachment 957446View attachment 957447View attachment 957448
decal on both sides of bucket
5 min scrounge! ez cut up! lol. with less seasoned oak mixes well for a nice warm evening fireplace. mixing the two will easily get me 4 maybe 5 fires inside. we count the quality of our firewood scrounges by how many fires it will produce or refuel... even some kindling in there... mostly just campwood, but desirable none the less. so couldn't pass it up. so scrounged it up...

our mission: don't run out of :givebeer: and don't run out of :chop:
P1010014.JPGP1010015.JPGP1010016.JPGP1010017.JPGP1010018.JPG

Latest posts

Back