Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m fortunate I guess. I have a 16 & 17 yr old and I’ve not made the metamorphosis yet to from smartest guy ever to total idiot. I’m sure it’s just a temporary delay tho!
Did have our first foster child send us a letter a while back basically saying it finally hit him about everything we had done for him. He’s 35!! There is hope!!!
We don't actually have it as bad as I make it sound, I was just playing on the old, "Teenagers, move out now while you still know everything!" poster. Last night it just happened that she tried to sneak a bunch of sweets into her room in her hoodie pocket and I busted her. So i posted that she must think I'm stupid. LOL

I do have hopes that someday they will come to appreciate the things maybe they don't like now, similar to your foster child!

Light dusting of snow overnight. The weather was great for working on firewood yesterday morning. The wind kicked up in the afternoon and my ears got a bit cold. I did buck more late in the day to give me some to split and stack before the chainsaw hour today.

We don't actually have it as bad as I make it sound, I was just playing on the old, "Teenagers, move out now while you still know everything!" poster. Last night it just happened that she tried to sneak a bunch of sweets into her room in her hoodie pocket and I busted her. So i posted that she must think I'm stupid. LOL

I do have hopes that someday they will come to appreciate the things maybe they don't like now, similar to your foster child!

Light dusting of snow overnight. The weather was great for working on firewood yesterday morning. The wind kicked up in the afternoon and my ears got a bit cold. I did buck more late in the day to give me some to split and stack before the chainsaw hour today.
My wife and I can't have anymore children because of her health. She has mentioned wanting to either foster or adopt in the future if they can get her health issues to calm down some so far it hasn't happened but we hope. I have 1 son my struggle right now is trying to get him off of the video games and out to do things. It's so different than when I grew up I wanted to go toy with motors and split wood that's all the entertainment I had. If I can talk to this tree guy and get access to wood he's going to be put to work stacking and learning whether he likes it or not lol.

Kids are a hoot aren’t they!! Lol

My wife and I can't have anymore children because of her health. She has mentioned wanting to either foster or adopt in the future if they can get her health issues to calm down some so far it hasn't happened but we hope. I have 1 son my struggle right now is trying to get him off of the video games and out to do things. It's so different than when I grew up I wanted to go toy with motors and split wood that's all the entertainment I had. If I can talk to this tree guy and get access to wood he's going to be put to work stacking and learning whether he likes it or not lol.
Ya it’s hard to express how addictive and destructive devices are. Kids can’t and won’t regulate it on their own. As parents we must.

The need is great for foster parents. It’s not easy but still rewarding.

Well... I guess it's a bit more than a dusting and still coming down. Had to dig to get a couple of loads uncovered this morning. OWB coals were just right up toss a few splits on to keep it right up to temperature.
20220123_084855.jpg20220123_083430.jpg

Ya it’s hard to express how addictive and destructive devices are. Kids can’t and won’t regulate it on their own. As parents we must.
I grew up playing video games with my dad and we were always limited.

Now we have parents who can't regulate their own selves and that adds a whole other level of complication to the issue. I work with guys who spend more time gaming than their kids do.

It's a big money market. Microsoft just purchased Activision, a huge game developer, for $68.7 BILLION. The attention of another human being is being treated as a commodity and being sold to the highest bidder.

Microsoft just purchased Activision, a huge game developer, for $68.7 BILLION
Saw that. Money has no meaning when you read that in the paper (remember newspapers?), or some sports star getting $100 million. And people are confused why workers are leaving their $10/hour, no benefits jobs?

Philbert

And I'm in no way interested in being a bold pilot. Too many stories of pilots getting behind their aircraft & entering that dreaded stall/spin on base-to-final.
with good basic airwork and good basic weather... one only has to fly the pattern and fly the numbers... and the rest is a piece a cake! you are right, an approach turn stall is a sure way to 'buy the farm!!'....
1642959445374.png

Saw that. Money has no meaning when you read that in the paper (remember newspapers?), or some sports star getting $100 million. And people are confused why workers are leaving their $10/hour, no benefits jobs?

Philbert
If people would stop watching professional sports, there would be no market for them. Scholastic sports (up to High school) need the support. Just my opinion.

If people would stop watching professional sports, there would be no market for them. Scholastic sports (up to High school) need the support. Just my opinion.
I will respectfully disagree as I enjoy watching athletes perform at the highest level....most professional sports are still the highest level although things like NBA with load management BS as well as refusal to play defense that are certainly watered down.

My business sponsored the game ball for our local boys basketball team last week and I personally donated to them for their new warmups. I do try to support them whenever I can.

That should change...she could be the one or it would be heckuva story. :cheers:

Not sleeping with her is probably the professional thing to do...just saying.
Yes.....self fulfilling prophesy. She would be a lot of fun to hang with but not really wife material. She has some serious...assets.

There were others that I was accused of being with while married and I will swear on my fathers grave, I wasn't with any of them. Did some fulfilling once I was divorced though ;)

My ex followed the old nazi propaganda trick of "accuse others of what you were guilty of"....

If people would stop watching professional sports, there would be no market for them.
Agreed! When baseball players were threatening a strike in the second labor dispute in the 90's I swore that I would never watch one more minute of baseball if they did. And I have lived up to it. The only time I'm interested is if there's a bench clearing brawl and then I cheer for both teams. I have now basically given up all pro sports and most college - it's all about the greed now and I don't support it. Clearly they are not missing my money that badly, but I do wish others would join me to bring them down a few notches. They are all a bunch of spoiled crybabies that don't deserve admiration, respect, or especially my money.

Hot button topic and I held back how I really feel. :blob2: :laughing:

Yes.....self fulfilling prophesy. She would be a lot of fun to hang with but not really wife material. She has some serious...assets.

There were others that I was accused of being with while married and I will swear on my fathers grave, I wasn't with any of them. Did some fulfilling once I was divorced though ;)

My ex followed the old nazi propaganda trick of "accuse others of what you were guilty of"....
Ha - sounds like a page out of my own life story.
Shakespeare: "beware jealousy - 'tis the green-eyed monster that doth mock the meat it feeds on". For 8 years I couldn't play guitar, talk to any female, go for a run, basically do anything for fear of causing hysterics. Had to keep my eyes on the ground pretty much, but still got accused! But more than made up for it since she cleared out, really got a life. :sweet:

Word to the wise from a seasoned class 1a firefighter..... if your stove gets away from you, damper down slowly. He saw many times where someone dampered down all at once in a panic and the pipe imploded and split leaving the roaring flue with all the air it needed to burn the house down! I will add that most of us burn properly so there is not much in our flue to burn. I brush mine but never get much more than a coffee cup of stuff that was totally burned already anyway. Some are still learning tho and don’t understand the dangers of constantly running at low temps.
i run my off-set smokers at low temps! hope i don't have to worry about a chimney fire! lol

[j/k-couldnt resist]

i run my off-set smokers at low temps! hope i don't have to worry about a chimney fire! lol

[j/k-couldnt resist]
Lol well if you do it won’t be low temp very long!! I guess a 1/4” of actual creasote withenough air flow can burn hot enough to melt a metal flue. 😬😬😬

Back