Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all!

I’m still alive but doing my time with the Kung flu. Luckily my case has been very mild so far… Felt like one day of food poisoning although I didn’t actually get sick and then after that my taste is messed up. I can still taste and smell but everything tastes overly salty which is weird because normally on my food does not taste salty enough. The good news is I’m able to work from home and I have plenty of projects at home to keep me busy so I’ll just be hanging out here until the end of the weekend.
Hang in there!!

Dandy Big Sky Day! Great time of year murican and the rest of the worlds thermometers get closer. -38c/ -36 murican.
Not much scrouging done, breaking in some trails. No excuses to miss the school bus now! Found a nice dead red oak up the swamp, hopefully on tomorrow to do list.
Beers real cold, no bugs, no mud.....living the dream.
533A26CB-CBAC-4DB8-8EA7-CE83E55A2893.jpeg1D69A3AC-CB2B-4DD7-AA87-26D7F41F0BF2.jpeg

Well, the wife and I got through the difficult business of saying our goodbyes to our dog Linus this morning, so it is time to move on.

I told her we have to remember we had a good 8 years with him ... we rescued him when he was about 2 and he was about 10 now.

We are still in a bit of shock that he went from appearing perfectly normal to not being able to walk or do his functions in less than a week. The cancer was very aggressive.

Good thing we brought him in when we did cause the first thing they did was install a catheter, because he was full.

I did neglect to post one of my favorite pics of him. I think he resembles a Sphinx in this one.

We thought we would still have Linus when Lucy (on the right, and 14) passed. Guess things don't always go as planned.
Very sorry to hear Mike. They truly are family members.

Oh man! @dancan goes into semi-retirement with the van. I think I finally pass @Logger nate and the Ford. @Cowboy254, the ute, and the trailer take a month long sabbatical. So it looks like me and my wheelbarrow finally have a shot at the coveted AS "scrounger of the year" with the 23 dump trailer loads of logs and here comes the new kid @Woodsman_26 passing me like I'm standing still!
:laughing:

Don't jump the gun, we have no way of knowing if he’ll follow through. You still might get that trophy.

Here is a typical load for me. Takes about 2 hrs to fell, buck and load a cord then drive back to low elevation property to cut up logs and split which takes about 1.5-2 hrs per cord to split. I will sometimes drop a big "25-32" tree but it's a bit much for loading by hand lol. So now I make logs 10-12ft long so I can haul a cord plus some I this old truck.View attachment 959641
Why not split right on site where you get the logs and load split firewood right into the back of the truck?

Oh man! @dancan goes into semi-retirement with the van. I think I finally pass @Logger nate and the Ford. @Cowboy254, the ute, and the trailer take a month long sabbatical. So it looks like me and my wheelbarrow finally have a shot at the coveted AS "scrounger of the year" with the 23 dump trailer loads of logs and here comes the new kid @Woodsman_26 passing me like I'm standing still!
I have some catching up to do, lol.2C163FA1-20A4-4D76-B0E3-2A8D80DA2B5F.jpegC079D037-A505-49E8-ABE6-F4F81167D194.jpeg5B923E11-C8CA-49C2-B8FB-D2A903EE3408.jpeg83472DD5-1ADC-406F-B038-84969A90D663.pngYou guys are still way ahead of me.

Attachments

• 4C054392-6D1B-48A2-9A70-5697908902D0.jpeg
    4C054392-6D1B-48A2-9A70-5697908902D0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
Well, the wife and I got through the difficult business of saying our goodbyes to our dog Linus this morning, so it is time to move on.

I told her we have to remember we had a good 8 years with him ... we rescued him when he was about 2 and he was about 10 now.

We are still in a bit of shock that he went from appearing perfectly normal to not being able to walk or do his functions in less than a week. The cancer was very aggressive.

Good thing we brought him in when we did cause the first thing they did was install a catheter, because he was full.

I did neglect to post one of my favorite pics of him. I think he resembles a Sphinx in this one.

We thought we would still have Linus when Lucy (on the right, and 14) passed. Guess things don't always go as planned.
Sorry to hear Mike.

Why not split right on site where you get the logs and load split firewood right into the back of the truck?
A couple reasons...I like to minimize the time in the forest and woods for one. I just bought raw40 acres with only bushes and sand so the sawdust is nice to add to certain areas to mix in with the dirt and add to the soil. I cut different lengths for people and myself. I have a splitter at the house for this purpose and I like the starter strips I get when splitting. So I log out to the house and unload in 10 min. Whereas if I had split on site I would have to stack/load and unstack and restack at the house. I pile the logs up and cut cords out of them at whatever size I'm cutting for that cord. Average is 16" but I had someone want 14" and I'm cutting even smaller for myself until I get my cabin built I'm hoping to start mid summer where I can have a normal size stove with normal sized wood.

I‘ll tell you why I don’t. More time and energy is expended on site, I get more home if I concentrate on loading truck and trailer. Plus more fits in the load if it isn’t split, except what’s needed to fill nooks and crannies.

I‘ll tell you why I don’t. More time and energy is expended on site, I get more home if I concentrate on loading truck and trailer. Plus more fits in the load if it isn’t split, except what’s needed to fill nooks and crannies.
ok, makes sense. I guess I just don't have a ton of space to unload and handle the large log lengths, also the mess of splitting at my property.

Wow... bummer. You have my condolences. It's tough to watch...

My wife has this on the wall in our dining room.

If I had to make one up it would be "If there is a Heaven, our dogs will be there". Hope that does not offend anyone.
Our native son Will Rogers said.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”​

A couple reasons...I like to minimize the time in the forest and woods for one. I just bought raw40 acres with only bushes and sand so the sawdust is nice to add to certain areas to mix in with the dirt and add to the soil. I cut different lengths for people and myself. I have a splitter at the house for this purpose and I like the starter strips I get when splitting. So I log out to the house and unload in 10 min. Whereas if I had split on site I would have to stack/load and unstack and restack at the house. I pile the logs up and cut cords out of them at whatever size I'm cutting for that cord. Average is 16" but I had someone want 14" and I'm cutting even smaller for myself until I get my cabin built I'm hoping to start mid summer where I can have a normal size stove with n
I have some catching up to do, lol.View attachment 959785View attachment 959787View attachment 959788View attachment 959790You guys are still way ahead of me.
Nice operation you have going

Mike, I hope looking at the old pics and the thoughts of past friends have brought a smile to your face on this difficult day.
It has helped, thanks. My wife is taking it harder than I am, she took him to the bike path almost every day, letting him ride shotgun (which he loved to do).

I keep reminding her to remember all the good years we had with him, and our other dogs, and how we should appreciate all those times.

That said, it still hurts. They are all unique, they are all different, and they are all irreplaceable.

Several staff at the ER that spent time with him (he was there all-day Tue and overnight till Wed morn) came out and told us they could not believe how good he was with them, even when he was in pain. That is how he was, he never lost control.

Dandy Big Sky Day! Great time of year murican and the rest of the worlds thermometers get closer. -38c/ -36 murican.
Not much scrouging done, breaking in some trails. No excuses to miss the school bus now! Found a nice dead red oak up the swamp, hopefully on tomorrow to do list.
Beers real cold, no bugs, no mud.....living the dream.
View attachment 959768View attachment 959769
Love it!

Latest posts

Back