Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine they went far with it like that šŸ˜†
Just follow him and pick up the pieces haha. I would be scared to snap all the lug nuts off the hub or brake the leaf springs and or bracket with that much..I mean one cord is over 2k lbs I believe depending on water content and type of wood so that's more than that, more like 2 cords maybe.

Do you charge more for that?
This pastyear I have been doing $250 a cord free delivery within 45 min in the valley area and free stacking. This next season I'm going up to $275 with free stacking. Takes me about 45 min to an hour to offload and stack it for someone. I'm also going to offer for people to come to the farm to pick up their cords for a discount.

I'm also going to offer for people to come to the farm to pick up their cords for a discount.

We only had one taker on that, and he thought he was gonna stand there while we loaded it. Specify how you want that to go. When I say ā€œweā€ Iā€™m talking about our club fundraiser. The guys said heā€™s saving money by picking up, then wants us to do part of the delivery (loading).

We only had one taker on that, and he thought he was gonna stand there while we loaded it. Specify how you want that to go. When I say ā€œweā€ Iā€™m talking about our club fundraiser. The guys said heā€™s saving money by picking up, then wants us to do part of the delivery (loading).
Agreed. That's funny how ignorant people can be . Maybe more frustrating that funny. Yea, they get the discount for me not loading, delivering and stacking. I'm not sure how much to take off yet though. I had a couple ask for pickup but I'm more interested in meeting people and delivering as I'm new to this Saguache area and don't know anybody really except over in La Garita I know a couple people.

Agreed. That's funny how ignorant people can be . Maybe more frustrating that funny. Yea, they get the discount for me not loading, delivering and stacking. I'm not sure how much to take off yet though. I had a couple ask for pickup but I'm more interested in meeting people and delivering as I'm new to this Saguache area and don't know anybody really except over in La Garita I know a couple people.
I only deliver to 2 longtime elderly customers anymore. All the wood I sell is picked up here at the farm. I help load. I'm probably on the high end of pricing compared to marketplace and CL and have a hard time keeping up.

I only deliver to 2 longtime elderly customers anymore. All the wood I sell is picked up here at the farm. I help load. I'm probably on the high end of pricing compared to marketplace and CL and have a hard time keeping up.
When I started I checked the market and there were quite a few people charging $300 a cord. I tried that but couldn't move any so I lowered it and got slammed with business. First sale was 2 cords so that was a nice one day paycheck.

Where's the big bill come from?
That's why I went with an indoor stove, 3.5 or so a yr. I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do for heat in the barn/house in the short term future(10yrs). I had a 10yr plan for burning wood here and I'm still doing the indoor wood stove so my savings just keep going up, and I have wood already in the woodshed for next yr and plenty more for the yrs beyond that needs processing :happy: .
Our new place has electric baseboards and we didn't actually start burning until January 2, so the big bill was December. Although the current months usage says we're approaching last months usage already.

I ordered a new Blaze King Princess catalytic insert today for the empty fireplace in the main living room. I was told May if I ordered one today, but they do have one arriving any day now. I to them consider it sold.

Anywho, our new house has 2 fireplaces. One has a small Buck Stove insert and the other is where the Blaze King will go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Our new place has electric baseboards and we didn't actually start burning until January 2, so the big bill was December. Although the current months usage says we're approaching last months usage already.

I ordered a new Blaze King Princess catalytic insert today for the empty fireplace in the main living room. I was told May if I ordered one today, but they do have one arriving any day now. I to them consider it sold.

Anywho, our new house has 2 fireplaces. One has a small Buck Stove insert and the other is where the Blaze King will go.

Well, anything to get that bill down, I figured if I could keep it under 200(even in the summer with the AC going) in the future after getting the electric water heater in I'd be pleased, now we are at 100-130. Now the only problem is that the 100-130 is before the barn was being built.

He might be racing sunset like I am so many times. I do a lot of my cutting after work and I only have an hour or two part of the year. The goal at that point is small enough I can get it on the truck and get out.

That is how I work, bust em down to loadable size, haaul home, dump, split/pile when convenient. As pointed out it also saves one session of picking up and stacking splits.

I had some helpers that didnā€™t understand this, and would split all the way down. Then run out of energy and want to leave before we had a full load.
Scrounging firewood isn't for the weak, lazy or faint of heart. I have seen some people cut on the road and not even clean up the tops and throw trash down including beer bottles and cans. I had an encounter last summer and ran that Jack a** out of the forest. Now those a holes are lazy and put a bad name out for all of us hard working blue collars.

Todayā€™s load white oak first then more ash on top. Found a 20ā€ hickory under that massive white oak top. Been held off the ground about 8ā€ by other logs. Guess where Iā€™ll be going next!! Still at least one or two more rics to gather from the white oak as well. It was just huge.

Attachments

• 39AD901B-AE5E-400E-B136-82F9159DEAC6.jpeg
    39AD901B-AE5E-400E-B136-82F9159DEAC6.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 2978A820-454D-4D9F-A769-5AF8F0C77B47.jpeg
    2978A820-454D-4D9F-A769-5AF8F0C77B47.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
I planned to scrounge some more widowmakers.

Strap up and pull down.
c33f7a45fab096a99318ddbc5a0415da.jpg

But watch out for the other logs already skidded! I knew better but was in a hurry to get a load before dark and wasn't paying attention. Well one of the other log ends got tied up in the wheel well and tore the valve stem off. So now instead if being done before dark, I'll be working in the dark to fix it.
f1d018951b904dc1ae964a084fb99e9a.jpg

Never fails!

I have seen some people cut on the road and not even clean up the tops and throw trash down including beer bottles and cans. I had an encounter last summer and ran that Jack a** out of the forest. Now those a holes are lazy and put a bad name out for all of us hard working blue collars.

Iā€˜ve seen woodcutters leave empty bar & chain oil jugs a couple places, but usually woodcutters pick up after themselves. Most litter comes from campers and hunters.Not to say all campers and hunters litter, itā€™s probably somewhere around half.

Strap up and pull down.

But watch out for the other logs already skidded! I knew better but was in a hurry to get a load before dark and wasn't paying attention. Well one of the other log ends got tied up in the wheel well and tore the valve stem off. So now instead if being done before dark, I'll be working in the dark to fix it.

Never fails!

Ouch!

Strap up and pull down.

Never fails!

That hurts! Was there fluid in that tire also?

Back