Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I‘ve seen woodcutters leave empty bar & chain oil jugs a couple places, but usually woodcutters pick up after themselves. Most litter comes from campers and hunters.Not to say all campers and hunters litter, it’s probably somewhere around half.
I got my first felling wedge while grouse hunting... A habitat management feller lost it in the tangled clear cut in which I was hunting. It was a few years later that I took Game of Logging training, bought some chainsaws, and got to use the wedge! A couple months ago I found a tow strap that was apparently lost by someone on a 4 wheeler. That got added to my hazard-tree clean-up gear. I don't mind litter I can use... ;)

I planned to scrounge some more widowmakers.

Strap up and pull down.
c33f7a45fab096a99318ddbc5a0415da.jpg

But watch out for the other logs already skidded! I knew better but was in a hurry to get a load before dark and wasn't paying attention. Well one of the other log ends got tied up in the wheel well and tore the valve stem off. So now instead if being done before dark, I'll be working in the dark to fix it.
f1d018951b904dc1ae964a084fb99e9a.jpg

Never fails!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Makes those welded on valve guards look really attractive!

Strap up and pull down.

But watch out for the other logs already skidded! I knew better but was in a hurry to get a load before dark and wasn't paying attention. Well one of the other log ends got tied up in the wheel well and tore the valve stem off. So now instead if being done before dark, I'll be working in the dark to fix it.

Never fails!

Man you got a lot of ash in there.
There's a reason skidder tires have protection plates around the valve stems. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow. [emoji23]

My kubota has them more in the center of the wheel on the back side(the way my wheels are mounted).
Replacing the tube was, at this time, a last resort.

Got the generator running and threw everything on the quad and broke the bead down. For what it's worth, any generator that weighs 250lbs or more needs to be mounted on a dang trailer, not on those chincy plastic blow molded wheels they come on. :mad:
9c08ab33d1bdf444adf8748fcd22d142.jpg

Threaded valve stem going in the hole.
114f81f9ed8f3ecf008c13867a2056b9.jpg

72d77d8f8630358d3c1aef2d7ad5c91f.jpg

She took air and now I'm back at it. 31f and starting to rain so it was a miserable slippery mess.

Glad you were able to get it out yet tonight.
This is what I have in mind for mine. Gotta find a piece of pipe or tubing.

bobcat-valve-stem-6-032612.jpg
Will you be painting yours that color too lol.

Well at least the barn will be nice and warm tomorrow with that new insulation :happy:

Thank you, I am doing pretty well. My lungs were already fubar from whatever crap I had in December so I cannot necessarily blame them on this bout of stuff. Either way, it will start warming up in a few weeks and I can start walking the dogs every day to build back shape.
Having asthma it doesn't take much for mine to get screwed up.
One blessing for me is I haven't gotten my sense of smell back 100% yet. My senses are very heightened, so much so that when I'm outside I can smell "neighbors" doing their laundry/their fabric softeners, we use nothing with any fragrance to it. The bummer is I can't enjoy the K-2 maxima I burn in my two smoke equipment :(.

Thank you! Hot coffee was definitely needed. I've got the quad and the rest of the tools all tucked away for the night with 6 or 8 logs (don't remember exactly) waiting for me out in the pasture tomorrow.

I've settled down quite a bit over the last few years since we began having kids. I was always rammy when things went bad, which of course makes things go from bad to worse. Got that honestly from my grandpa through my dad. :lol:

Now when things like this happen, it's just one of those laugh it off and get it fixed so you can get back at it kinda things. Getting all upset takes time to cool down from and you don't think straight.

Enjoy your night guys!
I do that all too often myself. I went out first thing yesterday to check on my battery hooked to solar and I tripped over a bush bottom and fell and not only ripped my long underwear open on the knee I got a puncture wound and some skin peeled off. Now if you think I just shrugged my shoulders and came in and moved on I surely didn't..lmao I got bent out of shape and took a bit to cool off from that.

This is what I have in mind for mine. Gotta find a piece of pipe or tubing.

bobcat-valve-stem-6-032612.jpg
I think that's a great idea - similar is on my loader. If you do this yourself, please dismount the tire before you weld. Many stories about explosions of tire assemblies being welded killing guys, including the dad of a guy I went to school with.

Begging for mercy I bet!!! I’ve switched to a 16’ landscape trailer. Sits low and hold 20 per row. Easy loading. You keep getting me i trouble by the way!!!! The comment the other night when you forgot to turn the filter on and made a crack about a lesbian seagull dance degree has become an issue for me! Lol you and the other fella talked thru that which is awesome but the phrase stuck in me head. Where it becomes an issue is at work. You see I work at a public high school around several twenty somethings that may actually have said degree and I can’t look at one of them with a straight face anymore!!!😁😁😁😁🤪🤪🤪
that particular phrase was born while in the sandbox. one of the other Marines in my company brought a little tiny hard drive and a small tablet screen. we were watching beavis and butthead and the one teacher was prancing about singing a song about lesbian seagulls.... I looked over towards the head shed and made a comment about i thought thats whats wrong with a couple of the 2nd Lt's we had with us... I then made the comment that they must have degrees in lesbian seagull dance interpretation and thats why they were both a couple of walking clusterf**ks, and its been in my lexicon eversince. ;)

Mine are tucked in there a little better, but something small could get in there.

View attachment 959978
Not sure why but my valve stems on on the inside of my rear tires on my NH. PITA when I need to put air in them. I had the tire shop put a special shorter heavy duty stem on my fronts last time I had tires put on.

I think that's a great idea - similar is on my loader. If you do this yourself, please dismount the tire before you weld. Many stories about explosions of tire assemblies being welded killing guys, including the dad of a guy I went to school with.
I'll definitely deflate it first. [emoji106]

Strap up and pull down.

Never fails!

I feel ya on that had same thing happen before we had a spare tire and rim just for that and doing tire change in the field. But taking the pie weights off was no fun. The valve stem was in the way of one pie weight and it would catch brush and sticks. After the valve stem got sheared off we made a cover plate for that spot to protect the valve stem. Was the tire loaded?

I found the post that sucks the tire was loaded what a pain in the.... after having multiple rims rot out around the valve stem from calcium cloride we bought the pie weights. 12 pie pieces per rim at 35# apiece plus the mount plate weighs probly 30#

Have you heard of beet juice? It's being used as a replacement for CC and you don't have to tube it since it's not corrosive. It's not cheap to do. Last time I had it quoted it was $400 per tire.

I forgot about this thread I made on another forum when I re-tubed this tire when I bought the tractor. It's been a few years.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/changing-a-tire-tube-with-ballast.312042/

im aware of the beet juice but it's alot of money running on the ground when you get a flat. We went with the pie weights because they fit a few of our Ford tractor rims and its not to bad switching them over to another tractor. We got the pie weight set for 500$ crv was a bit taxed when I picked them up. I had to spread them throughout the vehicle. 24 x 35# plus the mounting plates and a couple coffee cans of nuts and bolts.

Attachments

• Resized_0915191034_407966043753382.jpeg
    Resized_0915191034_407966043753382.jpeg
    958.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Resized_0915191009_407966537431194.jpeg
    Resized_0915191009_407966537431194.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 9
Having asthma it doesn't take much for mine to get screwed up.
One blessing for me is I haven't gotten my sense of smell back 100% yet. My senses are very heightened, so much so that when I'm outside I can smell "neighbors" doing their laundry/their fabric softeners, we use nothing with any fragrance to it. The bummer is I can't enjoy the K-2 maxima I burn in my two smoke equipment :(.
I know it! Haven’t had asthma problems in years till that damn influenza A.

Today my coffee tastes and smells great. Go figure.

One benefit of all this crud is I haven’t yet put on the 10 to 15 pounds I normally do in the winter. I did put on a little bit last summer and fall when I was in party mode but I have maintained since then. Which will be good when I get into diet phase when the weather starts to warm up.

im aware of the beet juice but it's alot of money running on the ground when you get a flat. We went with the pie weights because they fit a few of our Ford tractor rims and its not to bad switching them over to another tractor. We got the pie weight set for 500$ crv was a bit taxed when I picked them up. I had to spread them throughout the vehicle. 24 x 35# plus the mounting plates and a couple coffee cans of nuts and bolts.
No worse than having my wife and mother-in-law riding in the back seat!

Latest posts

Back