Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad was getting after it with the MS241C I bought him for his birthday.View attachment 989825
He loves it. It's a huge leap forward from the 011 he was using before. Thanks @chipper1 for getting me in touch with @Scandy14 to buy the saw from.
That's awesome, glad I could help.
Did he do all that?
Hey what's the scoop on the mini-split?
Great saw. Cuts waaay above its pay grade.
For sure they do.
I was just noticing today that the ms251 has 3 hp and weighs 11 lbs, the 241 is 3.1 hp and weighs 9.9lbs. The 241 runs the picco(not that you couldn't run it on the 251, I've run it on the 261), which really performs well on saws under 4hp, after 4 hp I'd rather run standard 3/8.
Wish I could find one.
Like you're ready to buy one, or you just wish you could have one?

I was hoping to mow the lawn before i dropped the cherry, but it wouldn't start yesterday. Didn't have time today, so I'll look at it tomorrow. Always something.
I had some mower issues myself today. Bought a cub cadet to resell and had planned on mowing with it today and at least the next mow after this rain lets up, then I have to replace the head gasket. So I got a little done out by the rd around my spruce trees(yes I have spruce trees, I planted them, Norway spruce), then the deck belt came off. No problem, I put it back on, but the spring didn't have much tension as the belt was pretty stretched out. Got a little more done and the belt cam off again :rare2:.No problem though, he gave me a spare new deck belt:dancing:. So I put it on and the belt had no tension on it, it was 2" too long, good feeling gone😣. Made a bunch of calls and no-one had it in stock. Called our local equipment repair shop and no-one would pick up the phone. Buddy drops off the trailer he borrowed and said he'd see me in church tomorrow🤔, you mean in two days, his kids were like tomorrow :laugh:. Okay, so I'm a day off and a belt short, or a belt long LOL.
Then I had an issue with the front attachment point on the kubota deck, not sure what's wrong, it must have a slight burr on it that was keeping the pin that holds it together from clicking in. Everything was 100% hooked up and ready to go, and that thing took me an extra 15 min, yep, 1st world problems :yes:.

You will probably be able to snap those limbs off it without dropping it it's so punky :baba:

That's awesome, glad I could help.
Did he do all that?
Hey what's the scoop on the mini-split?
Thanks again! No, a tree service dropped the tree. They left the wood for us. Next weekend I will head up and cut up the bigger pieces. I will finally be able to give the 660 and the 400 good runs. It's a large oak(36" DBH) that was starting to tip over due to the shallow soil in Door County. If it tipped the roots would've torn up my parents cottage and the tree would have crushed the neighbor's cottage.
I believe the mini-split is a Klimeaire. They used to have baseboard heaters and a window air conditioner in the cottage. My parents remodeled the cottage about 3 years ago and added the mini-split. It's a heat pump also so it does all the heating and cooling. For an off brand unit it works really well. It's quiet and efficient compared to a window unit.

I had some mower issues myself today. Bought a cub cadet to resell and had planned on mowing with it today and at least the next mow after this rain lets up, then I have to replace the head gasket. So I got a little done out by the rd around my spruce trees(yes I have spruce trees, I planted them, Norway spruce), then the deck belt came off. No problem, I put it back on, but the spring didn't have much tension as the belt was pretty stretched out. Got a little more done and the belt cam off again :rare2:.No problem though, he gave me a spare new deck belt:dancing:. So I put it on and the belt had no tension on it, it was 2" too long, good feeling gone😣. Made a bunch of calls and no-one had it in stock. Called our local equipment repair shop and no-one would pick up the phone. Buddy drops off the trailer he borrowed and said he'd see me in church tomorrow🤔, you mean in two days, his kids were like tomorrow :laugh:. Okay, so I'm a day off and a belt short, or a belt long LOL.
Then I had an issue with the front attachment point on the kubota deck, not sure what's wrong, it must have a slight burr on it that was keeping the pin that holds it together from clicking in. Everything was 100% hooked up and ready to go, and that thing took me an extra 15 min, yep, 1st world problems :yes:.

You will probably be able to snap those limbs off it without dropping it it's so punky :baba:
Always something with equipment!:angry:The things that are supposed to make our lives easier can truly be a pita sometimes! Dead batteries, broken belts, ruptured hoses, the list goes on and on. Like you said though, first world problems!

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
Screenshot_20220519-100356.png
This is a small section of one of three different snag patches Ive been working for a few years, but I'll never tell where! 😂 PREMIUM FIRE WOOD GALORE!!! And I have a total of about 20 acer's of this standing dead all to myself! 😂😂😉

View attachment 989931
This is a small section of one of three different snag patches Ive been working for a few years, but I'll never tell where! 😂 PREMIUM FIRE WOOD GALORE!!! And I have a total of about 20 acer's of this standing dead all to myself! 😂😂😉
Nice dry wood. Looks ready to burn. Be careful though, it looks like spruce. You'll burn your house down.:crazy2:

Thanks again! No, a tree service dropped the tree. They left the wood for us. Next weekend I will head up and cut up the bigger pieces. I will finally be able to give the 660 and the 400 good runs. It's a large oak(36" DBH) that was starting to tip over due to the shallow soil in Door County. If it tipped the roots would've torn up my parents cottage and the tree would have crushed the neighbor's cottage.
I believe the mini-split is a Klimeaire. They used to have baseboard heaters and a window air conditioner in the cottage. My parents remodeled the cottage about 3 years ago and added the mini-split. It's a heat pump also so it does all the heating and cooling. For an off brand unit it works really well. It's quiet and efficient compared to a window unit.
Sounds like a good time. I need to get a little saw time myself, been a while, other than cutting a couple 4x4's off a sign at the church building and cutting a couple 2x4 off the trailer yesterday :laugh:.
Thanks for the info, I'll look them up. Hope to have the 12x24 section of my barn sealed up this winter to work in. I probably won't be able to afford a unit like that until a later date, just trying to put the info together now to make a decision in case there is something I need to prep before siding it and the concrete.
Always something with equipment!:angry:The things that are supposed to make our lives easier can truly be a pita sometimes! Dead batteries, broken belts, ruptured hoses, the list goes on and on. Like you said though, first world problems!
I bought it knowing it had a bad head gasket, but I wasn't expecting the belt issue, oh well. I'll get it purchased tomorrow and can start on the head gasket this week since the mower decking now on my kubota and I won't need to use it. I guess it's a good thing it needs the belt, because it forces me to work on the main issue which is where the money is on this machine.
Yep, first world problems that we are blessed to have, although it doesn't always feel that way when you are in the middle of them.
I like how a buddy like to describe car issues when you ask him if they are hard, he says "no, it just takes longer", great way to look at it :).

Back to third world problems... or methods anyway. Wheelbarrow! LOL. A little warm-up with honey locust. It's every bit as heavy as oak and some btu charts rate it better. No matter really since it all goes to the stacks.
20220522_092732.jpg
And a few straight grained red oak loads mostly from a nice 20" trunk section. Actually it had a slight twist to it, but just a few degrees so splitting and stacking were still easy.
20220522_095808.jpg20220522_094755.jpg20220522_093757.jpg
And a mix of chunky junk.
20220522_100831.jpg
20220522_101934.jpg

Sounds like a good time. I need to get a little saw time myself, been a while, other than cutting a couple 4x4's off a sign at the church building and cutting a couple 2x4 off the trailer yesterday :laugh:.
Thanks for the info, I'll look them up. Hope to have the 12x24 section of my barn sealed up this winter to work in. I probably won't be able to afford a unit like that until a later date, just trying to put the info together now to make a decision in case there is something I need to prep before siding it and the concrete.

I bought it knowing it had a bad head gasket, but I wasn't expecting the belt issue, oh well. I'll get it purchased tomorrow and can start on the head gasket this week since the mower decking now on my kubota and I won't need to use it. I guess it's a good thing it needs the belt, because it forces me to work on the main issue which is where the money is on this machine.
Yep, first world problems that we are blessed to have, although it doesn't always feel that way when you are in the middle of them.
I like how a buddy like to describe car issues when you ask him if they are hard, he says "no, it just takes longer", great way to look at it :).
What make of engine is on that Cub? Few years back I was in the market for a mower and it came down to Cub, Simplicity and Deere. In the end, I went with the Deere, with the Kawasaki powerhead being a big factor ( Biggest factor, admittedly, who doesn't love J.D green?). Simplicity had a Vanguard, but I can't remember what the Cub had.

What make of engine is on that Cub? Few years back I was in the market for a mower and it came down to Cub, Simplicity and Deere. In the end, I went with the Deere, with the Kawasaki powerhead being a big factor ( Biggest factor, admittedly, who doesn't love J.D green?). Simplicity had a Vanguard, but I can't remember what the Cub had.
It has a Kohler, 27hp iirc.
The earlier engines(early 2000) were known to have head gasket problems. You get them in a kit that has new bolts and updated gaskets. I've done a few of them. Not bad to do, but I'd rather not get dirty if I don't have to, you guys hiring :).
If any of you guys have a liquid cooled motor be sure to blow the radiator out as that's a big problem causing head gaskets to go bad. Plugged cooling fins on the cylinder/ heads on air cooled is an issue too, but with way more hrs usually.

It has a Kohler, 27hp iirc.
The earlier engines(early 2000) were known to have head gasket problems. You get them in a kit that has new bolts and updated gaskets. I've done a few of them. Not bad to do, but I'd rather not get dirty if I don't have to, you guys hiring :).
If any of you guys have a liquid cooled motor be sure to blow the radiator out as that's a big problem causing head gaskets to go bad. Plugged cooling fins on the cylinder/ heads on air cooled is an issue too, but with way more hrs usually.
Last I knew, they were BEGGING for mechanics at our Clare shop and OTR drivers, but full on local guys. When the licensing rules changed a couple months back, they decided to start an in-house, company paid, Class-A training program. I don't know the in and outs of the commitment after completion of the course, but I still think it's an excellent opportunity for a young man (or woman) who doesn't have the grades for college or the desire to enlist in the armed forces.

I'm not sure I understand the significance of the theme, but hey, sometimes you just run with it! Happy birthday Clint. 🎂
View attachment 989715
my lil tiger :chainsaw: has been begging for a snapshot since it cut up all that big oak scrounge other day. i got a wb full as we speak, and mite could find the other stand in, too! 'film at 11' ~

Nice highway tires :p.
Looks like some nice wood :clap:.

I was contacted today by a guy I haven't talked to in 4 yrs. I don't think he's ever seen me do any cutting/tree work, but he seems to think I could cut cut down his buddies tree about the same size as that one, I'm not as convinced. I mean, I know I could cut it down, but without damaging anything might be a different story. It's right next to and overhanging the house with large branches, and it's a smaller city lot, so it can't be dropped whole. I'll probably be passing on this one, unless I get someone else involved to climb/rig. It's just a bit over my head lol.
hi chipper - haha!

even stock, it's rated 'off road use only!!'

but i modded it up some... new wheels n tires.... and ez now on any local streets.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

if a pix is seeing!!.... run it at low speeds to save on gasoline and fuel costs these days
P1010007.JPG

reminds me of mowing other day. Murphy was helping. not fun to be on rim on side of the road... and more 'park it' probs, too! but managed to not let it all get in my way...

i needed that grass! to mulch up my corn patch

P1010013.JPG
P1010007.JPG

Latest posts

Back