Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to third world problems... or methods anyway. Wheelbarrow! LOL. A little warm-up with honey locust. It's every bit as heavy as oak and some btu charts rate it better. No matter really since it all goes to the stacks.
View attachment 990003
And a few straight grained red oak loads mostly from a nice 20" trunk section. Actually it had a slight twist to it, but just a few degrees so splitting and stacking were still easy.
View attachment 990000View attachment 990001View attachment 990002
And a mix of chunky junk.
View attachment 989999
View attachment 989998
I can't wait to have some wheelbarrow loads like those feeding this barrel burner my dad built for his pole barn. Resized_20210813_101933.jpeg

Always something with equipment!:angry:The things that are supposed to make our lives easier can truly be a pita sometimes! Dead batteries, broken belts, ruptured hoses, the list goes on and on. Like you said though, first world problems!
life on the farm:

"always something... batteries and tires!!!'

1653247665541.png

View attachment 989931
This is a small section of one of three different snag patches Ive been working for a few years, but I'll never tell where! 😂 PREMIUM FIRE WOOD GALORE!!! And I have a total of about 20 acer's of this standing dead all to myself! 😂😂😉
yo KK!~ think u r on the right track! you prob got it better than me, that stuff looks like a lot of work. cut, drag, split... well,u know the drill! lol down here where i live, in town... it rains firewood scrounge! just couple days ago... boss man said, sure-take all u want! take it al, if u want!!!'
P1010002.JPG
it is constant!!

I bought it knowing it had a bad head gasket, but I wasn't expecting the belt issue, oh well. I'll get it purchased tomorrow and can start on the head gasket this week since the mower decking now on my kubota and I won't need to use it. I guess it's a good thing it needs the belt, because it forces me to work on the main issue which is where the money is on this machine.
Yep, first world problems that we are blessed to have, although it doesn't always feel that way when you are in the middle of them.
I like how a buddy like to describe car issues when you ask him if they are hard, he says "no, it just takes longer", great way to look at it :).
i know u will have it apart and back together ez. maybe u can hoelp Brufab with his lil offroader!? u seem to be able to fix small engine issues faster than i can create them!!!

LOL :numberone:

reminds me of mowing other day. Murphy was helping. not fun to be on rim on side of the road... and more 'park it' probs, too! but managed to not let it all get in my way...

i needed that grass! to mulch up my corn patch

View attachment 990095
View attachment 990096
I have never seen a tire come off like that BL Maybe baked in the Texas sun? all I have ran over the past 30 years have been snapper.

Back to third world problems... or methods anyway. Wheelbarrow! LOL. A little warm-up with honey locust. It's every bit as heavy as oak and some btu charts rate it better. No matter really since it all goes to the stacks.
View attachment 990003
And a few straight grained red oak loads mostly from a nice 20" trunk section. Actually it had a slight twist to it, but just a few degrees so splitting and stacking were still easy.
View attachment 990000View attachment 990001View attachment 990002
And a mix of chunky junk.
View attachment 989999
View attachment 989998
swell pix, there H-R!! is that another mini-doc??

btu's aside, don't matter to me... it's always oak! i pass on 99% of it there is so much! if i added in any other wood... it would be 100%! ;)

:givebeer:

I have never seen a tire come off like that BL Maybe baked in the Texas sun? all I have ran over the past 30 years have been snapper.
really was a bit of a slap in the face... :dumb: as in a true :wtf: when something hit my shoe... and i had just posted up this pix with comment:

sweet, nice lil snapper
P1010028.JPG

little did i know... and low and behold... there is the culprit wheel/tire... acting innocent as day is long!! :rolleyes:

i plan on a few $$ hun in parts for it soon. all drive/belt stuff. mite amp up the :envy: and get some new wheels. can just imagine cost of steelies! ha. in meantime... plan to wire it all back together :yes:

well, u get the idea

1653248784467.png

really was a bit of a slap in the face... :dumb: as in a true :wtf: when something hit my shoe... and i had just posted up this pix with comment:

sweet, nice lil snapper
View attachment 990102

little did i know... and low and behold... there is the culprit wheel/tire... acting innocent as day is long!! :rolleyes:

i plan on a few $$ hun in parts for it soon. all drive/belt stuff. mite amp up the :envy: and get some new wheels. can just imagine cost of steelies! ha. in meantime... plan to wire it all back together :yes:

well, u get the idea

View attachment 990104
That's a nice mower, luckily snapper has a good following and parts are available since the design basically never changed when it comes to the drive train and deck.

Just back from our cabin in the PA mountains where we heat with firewood when occupied. Bad News - Good News, another of our oaks in front of the cabin died. These oaks on the top here do not grow fast, but they seem to grow extra hard. So, good news, ready supply of oak. I cut this one down after moving the trucks, and lining it to avoid risk of a fall over our power lines.

This was a little over 20" dbh, but over 100 years old:

IMG_0995.jpg

The father/son crew moved the 12' sections around to the back (less likely to get stolen) where I cut to 18" rounds for the splitting and stacking team:

IMG_1001.jpg

Up early the next morning to tackle stove pipe cleaning and noticed one of our neighbors was looking for breakfast too:

IMG_0997.jpg

It was stinking hot, but at least in the mountains, it was not humid, and there was a breeze. Still ended up sweated and covered in saw dust day one, then sweated and covered in soot day two. Still a great time with some buddies at camp.

Like you're ready to buy one, or you just wish you could have one?
@chipper1 , Like I'd really like to have one but probably not ready for the price of a not available saw. I'd also be concerned about future parts as it hasn't been available here for years. If I do anything I'll probable get an Echo CS-4910 to replace my Stihl MS-250.

So we're into this tree row 2 days now. Yesterday was nearly a waste. Backhoe blew 2 hydro lines right out of the gate. Till that got fixed the first time two hours had gone past. All the local places that were open till 12 on a Saturday were closed, so a rigging from tsc got us going till line 2 blew out. At that point I basically chewed my dad out. I had wanted to rent a mini hoe for the weekend. He told me to call the rental place and see what they had. I wanted a 10k lb machine but ended up with a 6k lb machine. Better then the broken back hoe. Towards the end of the day yesterday we noticed the skid loader was leaving a trail of hydro fluid. This really surprised us as the pumps and wheel motors were just all replaced in it. (Long story, hydrostatic pump went belly up. There were rold to replace every hose that had rubber in or on it.) So that left us with the mini and my dad's old kubota to keep going. Picked the mini up around 1 Saturday (thankfully there was a guy that stayed late so we could get it) worked till 8pm. Got out today around 8am, got all the brush and dead trees cleared out and started dropping the bigger trees. Never ever have I been so disappointed in my 562xp. Kept wanting to flood out at idle. Finished the day out with my 390xp. Dang boys I'm out of shape, lol. Dropped a big cherry and mulberry. (Dad was on the mini cleaning up at this point) wasn't paying attention and the old man drug the entire mulberry off to the fire. I was pretty upset about that.
Anyway today ended pretty early. Rain set in hard and fast. Went from bright and sunny to black and pouring in about 30 seconds. Had to load the skid loader in the rain. Only had it borrowed for the weekend. Didn't get the more or less finish pic I wanted. I'll be back out tomorrow and snap a few more.

Attachments

• 20220521_105051.jpg
    20220521_105051.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220521_133750.jpg
    20220521_133750.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Just back from our cabin in the PA mountains where we heat with firewood when occupied. Bad News - Good News, another of our oaks in front of the cabin died. These oaks on the top here do not grow fast, but they seem to grow extra hard. So, good news, ready supply of oak. I cut this one down after moving the trucks, and lining it to avoid risk of a fall over our power lines.

This was a little over 20" dbh, but over 100 years old:

View attachment 990130

The father/son crew moved the 12' sections around to the back (less likely to get stolen) where I cut to 18" rounds for the splitting and stacking team:

View attachment 990131

Up early the next morning to tackle stove pipe cleaning and noticed one of our neighbors was looking for breakfast too:

View attachment 990132

It was stinking hot, but at least in the mountains, it was not humid, and there was a breeze. Still ended up sweated and covered in saw dust day one, then sweated and covered in soot day two. Still a great time with some buddies at camp.
Still have 3 oaks I need to get down that died last year. One week nice and leafy next week. No leaves. None of them ever tried to bud this spring. Sad when you have to cut down a nice tree.

IMG_20220522_160009098_HDR.jpgIMG_20220522_134836490_HDR.jpgIMG_20220522_134433471_HDR.jpg
These two different patches of standing dead are right off an old logging road. Just minutes from home! After cutting timber In remote camps for years. These snag strips make for great weekend wheeler logging fun! Just fall'n and haul'n! 😂👍 Keep your head up though and watch out! A lot of slab bark and rotten tops! 😬

Back