Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No with this weird 1 to 9 shift I'm working, and working a lot of weekends I don't have a ton of time. But I'm not in a real hurry either. Neat project though.

I keep one of my old cubs around to mow with, I have a deck for the B but it's always in the way for loader work, and too wide really. 44 inch deck is needed to mow around half my yard. Could get by with a 50 but it would be tight. I'd love to get a another zero turn, but the last one didn't do hills very well. Just a cheap homeowners grade. I did borrow a friend's exmark and it did really well, but came with a $12k new price tag...
That is an odd shift.
I may be back in the J O B saddle in a bit here, will know more soon. I may just skiff on out of here too :laugh:.
Since my buddy was working on restoring his neighbors car I couldn't do much work in the barn, so it got put off. Now that they are almost finished I want to do as much as possible so as soon as it's out I can pull it in and get welding on it. Hopefully the deck will be ready to weld next week and I can start prepping the frame for primer and paint, getting closer, but still a long ways to go.
As you were saying before, it should be pretty light for its size. I'm looking forward to having semi sized rub-rails/securement points, I hate them on most trailers.

I'd really like another exmark, I buy them used so I don't have the same sticker shock as many do. It was a bummer I sold mine, but I'm sure it won't be long until I have another, just need to be patient. My exmark's have done great on hills, but if the grass is wet, you may want to wait if you could slide into anything unwanted :surprised3:. I can't stand removing or installing the deck on the kubota, it takes as long as it would take me to mow, at least with a 60" exmark lol.

If you are concerned about chain prices, and come across a good deal in a different gauge (or DL count), consider buying a second bar to match. Guide bars are a consumable: you’ll need a new one eventually, anyways.

A good chain deal might cover the cost of a new bar. Just keep the different chains sorted out.

Philbert
I wouldn't say I'm concerned, more frugal/prepared ;). I buy ahead and have new 050 chains(and bars, lot's of both) for everything except my pole saw, I should have a couple of those, but I don't think about them often. And if I run out of new 050 stuff I have lots of 058 and 063 chains and bars, many brand new.
I've gotten many chain deals that would have covered a new bar, but I got the bar cheaper too :clap:. I don't know if I've ever paid retail for a bar, chain, or even a saw. Now the sorting out part :innocent:. Hoping when the "saw shop" portion of the barn is finished that can happen, the basement looks like one of the houses/barns the guys visit on American Pickers :ices_rofl:.
I'm thinking maybe you meant to post that to someone else?

Back from my cabin. Barely made it. Normally a 2.5 hour trip turned into a 6.5 hour trip. Took 3 hours to change the fuel filter when it should have been a 5 min job. Had to get help. Don't know how it got so tight. It seemed to run fine for almost 5 miles. Then no power and 45 mph max again. Next spot to pull over I disconnected the LPR to set the ECU to a default. That helped enough to do 50 mph most of the way home. Need to pull the codes this afternoon. I'll be pissed it it ends up being the Cam Position Sensor. They are $150 and the one that's in there can't be a year old.

I wouldn't say I'm concerned, more frugal/prepared ;). I buy ahead and have new 050 chains(and bars, lot's of both) for everything except my pole saw, I should have a couple of those, but I don't think about them often. And if I run out of new 050 stuff I have lots of 058 and 063 chains and bars, many brand new.
I've gotten many chain deals that would have covered a new bar, but I got the bar cheaper too :clap:. I don't know if I've ever paid retail for a bar, chain, or even a saw. Now the sorting out part :innocent:. Hoping when the "saw shop" portion of the barn is finished that can happen, the basement looks like one of the houses/barns the guys visit on American Pickers :ices_rofl:.
I'm thinking maybe you meant to post that to someone else?
I tried to keep only .050 stocked but after acquiring the Zogger stuff and a bunch of other lots of chain I gave up trying and just run whatever gauge I can grab. In the rare instance I part with a saw these days it’ll definitely leave with whatever oddball bars and chains I have.

Twice I’ve cataloged all of the bars and chains I have….certainly a lifetime worth for the amount of cutting I do now

I tried to keep only .050 stocked but after acquiring the Zogger stuff and a bunch of other lots of chain I gave up trying and just run whatever gauge I can grab. In the rare instance I part with a saw these days it’ll definitely leave with whatever oddball bars and chains I have.

Twice I’ve cataloged all of the bars and chains I have….certainly a lifetime worth for the amount of cutting I do now
That's how I do it, keep as much in 050 as possible, but...
I think I helped you clean out at least one 3/8X050X60dl in square(bar and chain), sure there were others too) I'm not sure if you ever ran it, but I haven't yet lol. Glad they don't spoil 😅.

That's how I do it, keep as much in 050 as possible, but...
I think I helped you clean out at least one 3/8X050X60dl in square(bar and chain), sure there were others too) I'm not sure if you ever ran it, but I haven't yet lol. Glad they don't spoil 😅.
Right! And I think I still have we you a 72 DL square if it ever shows itself-it hasn’t yet.

I have thought about getting back into cant racing. It was fun except for the crybabies.

Right! And I think I still have we you a 72 DL square if it ever shows itself-it hasn’t yet.

I have thought about getting back into cant racing. It was fun except for the crybabies.
That was a long time ago, but I think you may be right lol. I have the grinders now and lots of double beveled files, so now it's easy for me to convert to square and then keep it fresh either on or off the saw. That being said I haven't ran much square lately, when the barn is set up I hope to grind a lot more square chain. I still need to bring home my stand for one of my square grinders, it's currently on a smaller stand that I mounted in my vise. It will be nice to have the vise back. I plan on mounting a stump vise with the little stop onto a lowered table so I can sharpen over top of the saw, I may mount it on a swivel to so it can be rotated if I want to sharpened one side at a time, sometimes I find that better if I've hit something, which happens more often than I'd like.
Well like we were talking about yesterday, there's crybabies wherever you go, lots right now with the last couple Supreme Court decisions :cry:. I'm good though ;).

I know very little about chains. Does X-Cut come in a 20" 72 DL 0.063 gauge 0.375 chain? What tooth?
i know a bit about chains! :rolleyes: at least, one in particular... and it needs to be sharpened! still cutting, mose usually do, one way or another... short of the dull stall! mite do it today, got a mind to go get some campwood just down the road a few houses... before the rains come in

Lots of ways to make charcoal, and we already have the wood :happy: .
Haven't started production yet, but honestly, I was already thinking of it. Why not when I have a great place to make it and it's such a "hot" commodity lol.
I've often wanted to pull the larger coals out of my wood stove on the very cold days when I have an issue with overcoaling, but then I learned other ways to deal with it. maybe I should buy an airtight stove to use outside to make charcoal, that would be relatively small batches though, there's many tutorials on YouTube of how to make larger batches in a 55 gallon container or in a pit dug into the ground. Maybe it's time :p. Now, I need to order some bags, Chippers charcoal, it does have a ring to it :laugh:.
no need to make charcoal here. got plenty. besides... hot oak coals hot enuff for my needs. but, charcoal does burn hotter! the QB got me a new digital temp probe fork! my special one worked ok after swim in kitchen sink... but maybe corrosion. can mange the iffy display, but new one right on, right no! same color....

new was $18.00! A-z... and we had enuff point credits so was free! workx for me! :happybanana:

I've been wanting more wood storage but I had to get on the ball with the large dump from an arborist this April. I originally pulled this 20' "I" beam out of the woods to get some unexpected large rounds off of the ground a few years ago in the middle of the summer. It worked well, but as expected, the "I's" eventually sunk into the ground about half way. The ground slopes slightly toward the fence so the rear sunk faster than the front and the rounds started touching fence.
To make it permanent, I got some solid 4" blocks and leveled them up. The beam width is 8" and my splits are 16", so a 4" overhang front and back. Not certain how stable it would be, I put two 10' 4x4's in the rear to ensure the stack wouldn't fall on the fence. I made sure there were no "rockers" on the bottom row and as a general rule I'm WAY too OCD when stacking and feel that I waste a lot of time. It feels very solid and I think the 4x4's were overkill but I don't know if they are adding to the stability.

The original purpose of the I beam.
View attachment 998214

Good afternoon sun at this location.
View attachment 998215
View attachment 998217
View attachment 998218

Before adding the sides.
View attachment 998222

Tapcons into the blocks.
View attachment 998223
View attachment 998224
View attachment 998235
slick! nice pix!! doubt the beam will flex! lol
:givebeer:

I took a 5gal metal bucket and cut a hole (1 1/2in Iirc) in the lid. I fill the can with chunks of wood I cut off with my chop saw, seal the lid and place over my gas fish cooker. I did this to use for smoking meat inside my little shed. Hang the meat over the bucket and just let it smoke for a few hours. The byproduct of this process is charcoal in the bucket. I use a gas cooker for convience inside the shed. I dont see why placeing the bucket over or in a regular fire wouldnt work. I also have a cowboy grill I can place over an open fire to grill on. Seldom use it anymore, but is great to take on a camping trip or fire pit. Just let the fire burn down to coals and set the grill over them. Best burgers you can cook.
👍
🤠

Not much, to speak of. Everything was dried up by lunch. The worst part of the storm just missed us.
they are saying we will see a lot... over next 3 days! high, low... frontal, pressure.... out of Gulf clashing... = rain

maybe a weather system too :omg:

Don't say things like this... my L128d trimmer... could use replaced and I have dewalt power tools already.....
i am a plug and go kinda guy! but have to admit... do like my B&D cordless drill. all others 110-v deWalt. and my B&D cordless blower is :numberone: too, imo

Back