Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning all, and bearing replacers. :drinkingcoffee:
Morning Sir.

When I looked at the post above last night with the parts on it, I realized I forgot to order the part I needed the most, the bearings
:dumb:
. Sure glad I posted that picture, or I would have been upset with myself for sure when "everything" came. I was able to call it in earlier this morning and they added it to the order, it's already in the shipping system now
:happy:

There are grease fittings on the top of the shaft, the grease drops in just below the top bearing though, so noting hits the bearing :rolleyes:.

That's how this one is set up, the grease comes in just below the top bearing and you would have to fill a huge pocket in order to get grease on it :rare2:. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I don't like the design. It would be nice if there was a grease fitting that shot it straight onto the top bearing.

Yes sir.
Think about it like this... once it's full of grease it only takes a few pumps to keep after it. The amount of grease the cavity holds shouldn't bother you too much, just means it's getting slung around in there and the bearings shouldn't run dry.
I've never understood the idea of grease fittings on spindles. If you fill the cavity with enough grease to reach the top bearing I believe it would cause excessive heat and rob power. Plus over time it's easy to loose track of how much grease is actually in there. I have heard of sealed bearings installed in greasable spindles. Perhaps the manufactures are rethinking this?
Why would it cause excessive heat and rob power? If your rebuilding it you should be using bearings that are sealed on one side only, and as grease heats up it becomes thinner. The "sealed" bearing in greasable spindles are typically actually shielded bearing. They will accept grease, there are also "sealed" bearings that have small holes in the race so grease can be pumped into them. You can't go nuts with the grease, but they are made to be greased.
This was a big argument years ago when cub cadet went to "sealed" bearing" hubs for the C series of mower decks, they still had grease zerks. They were shielded bearings, a pump of grease or two every other mowing kept them in good repair, anymore and you would blow out one of the "seals" if you didn't grease them at all they didn't last more then a few years. I've been greasing the "sealed" units in my 44C since I got it 14 years ago, and just developed a noisy bearing in it recently. Sad part is they are not serviceable and I'll most likely have to buy a new hub, but the new hubs have tapered roller bearings. So it will be all good after that.

👍

got a blip in on my Hot Rod forum... this one included an extensive on Gottlib's '65 396/375 Chevrolet doled out to him for all of his engine engineering expertise. under 70,000 miles. the red one... slick bit of chevy history... ez to see how the '66 trimmed in out of the 65. i remember the 327 65's... but did not know any had BB's. i ran a 396/375 in my 36 Ford 3-window, DIY install... etc. then amped it a bit with a crate L-88!

and that was a thumper!!!

Think about it like this... once it's full of grease it only takes a few pumps to keep after it. The amount of grease the cavity holds shouldn't bother you too much, just means it's getting slung around in there and the bearings shouldn't run dry.
Sure, but that's a lot of grease, and it's a poor design. If not, why did the top bearing go out, and not the bottom, it was full of grease. I may just fill it up as much as possible with grease out of a tub, then before I replace the top grease seal and install the pulley, to top it off with a grease gun. It's just such a waste of grease, less than a 100th of this amount of grease would be enough to make the bearings last a very long time.
It's funny how little grease on a sealed Timken bearing will give a couple hundred thousand miles of use, but many others won't last half that, and many of the Chinesium ones you may be lucky to get 200 miles out of.
When you pull a bearing apart there I such a minute amount of grease actually on them, even on one that is still in good condition.
I actually like the sealed hubs on a semi, always have oil on them(unless they are sitting, which can be a problem if sitting too long).

👍

got a blip in on my Hot Rod forum... this one included an extensive on Gottlib's '65 396/375 Chevrolet doled out to him for all of his engine engineering expertise. under 70,000 miles. the red one... slick bit of chevy history... ez to see how the '66 trimmed in out of the 65. i remember the 327 65's... but did not know any had BB's. i ran a 396/375 in my 36 Ford 3-window, DIY install... etc. then amped it a bit with a crate L-88!

and that was a thumper!!!
In 65 you could get the 396 . You could also get an SS with a 250 6 banger . SS at that time was just a trim option

What does one do when it's 13°C (that's 55°F for those who don't habla metric) with a stiff breeze? Why one fills another "wheelbarrow" load of firewood. Son number one helped me stack the last facecord and a half after work. Felt so good after a coffee and some meatloaf that I went and filled the trailer again.
IMG_20220627_203512.jpg

Sure, but that's a lot of grease, and it's a poor design. If not, why did the top bearing go out, and not the bottom, it was full of grease. I may just fill it up as much as possible with grease out of a tub, then before I replace the top grease seal and install the pulley, to top it off with a grease gun. It's just such a waste of grease, less than a 100th of this amount of grease would be enough to make the bearings last a very long time.
It's funny how little grease on a sealed Timken bearing will give a couple hundred thousand miles of use, but many others won't last half that, and many of the Chinesium ones you may be lucky to get 200 miles out of.
When you pull a bearing apart there I such a minute amount of grease actually on them, even on one that is still in good condition.
I actually like the sealed hubs on a semi, always have oil on them(unless they are sitting, which can be a problem if sitting too long).
Yep, I agree it is a waste of grease. Wonder if you could make up a gap filler out of uhmwp or something. Light, easy to machine but doesn't have to be critical dimension or support anything, just so you wouldn't have to pump it so full of grease.

Yep, I agree it is a waste of grease. Wonder if you could make up a gap filler out of uhmwp or something. Light, easy to machine but doesn't have to be critical dimension or support anything, just so you wouldn't have to pump it so full of grease.
I thought about something like that, but then how would I grease them both.

Got a bit done today on the trailer project. I was really hoping to get the stake pockets cut off and the rub rail cut from the stake pocket so I could cut the back half of the trailer off, and I had hopped to then get the rest of the wood cut at the 20' mark(plus the extra for the angle of the dovetail). Well it was one of those days where I was able to do more than I had hoped. Got all that done and then set the bed on the frame :happy: . Then I got that all centered up(except the 1/2" it needs to go forward because of the jack, next time ;)), then I removed the short boards from the dovetail section and set that on the frame :clap:. Then since the day was still young I cut the angle on the dovetail section of the deck, lined it all up, and then cleaned up the cuts so the meet up with less than 1/32 gap(that will get removed when I move the bed forward as that will change the angle slightly).

It was a great day, mockup is when you finally get to see how well everything is working, or if it isn't, and I was very pleased with how it's all coming together :rock:.

20220627_190755.jpg20220627_190820.jpg20220627_190836.jpg

What does one do when it's 13°C (that's 55°F for those who don't habla metric) with a stiff breeze? Why one fills another "wheelbarrow" load of firewood. Son number one helped me stack the last facecord and a half after work. Felt so good after a coffee and some meatloaf that I went and filled the trailer again.
View attachment 999126
It's been a week or so since I've seen temps in the 50's...and that was the low at night lol. It's been in the upper 80s/lower 90s at my place and that's up in the mountains...so I've been saying "screw this" and have spent my free time further up in the mountains. Today's mtb ride barely just hit 80...although I had to go to 9k' elevation to get there...and I even got a little swim in ice melt runoff after the ride.

ATM, I'm not running a saw or doing anything tree/wood related unless someone's paying me.

God's country, only a short drive away:
20220627_125629.jpg
20220627_134802.jpg

Man, you guys are all more motivated than I am! I didn't cut today (again), instead I worked on moving some stuff from my shop to my barn, organizing my shop, drank a few beers, and flew the drone for a bit. I really need to get busy with the firewood though, or else it will be November and I won't have enough! It's just so hard for me to cut when it's 62ish degrees and beautiful out, but the misquotes are still so damn bad! I'd selfishly love for it to hit 30 degrees twice a week in the evenings to kill all of those little bastards, but that would also kill the wife's garden, so that doesn't work. Anyway, a few still shots that I took when flying the drone today and having a few beers in the shop.

DJI_0029 (1).JPG DJI_0020 (1).JPGDJI_0022 (1).JPGDJI_0027.JPGDJI_0027.JPG

Man, you guys are all more motivated than I am! I didn't cut today (again), instead I worked on moving some stuff from my shop to my barn, organizing my shop, drank a few beers, and flew the drone for a bit. I really need to get busy with the firewood though, or else it will be November and I won't have enough! It's just so hard for me to cut when it's 62ish degrees and beautiful out, but the misquotes are still so damn bad! I'd selfishly love for it to hit 30 degrees twice a week in the evenings to kill all of those little bastards, but that would also kill the wife's garden, so that doesn't work. Anyway, a few still shots that I took when flying the drone today and having a few beers in the shop.

View attachment 999169 View attachment 999170View attachment 999172View attachment 999173View attachment 999173
Nice place! I've found 2 stroke exhaust is a pretty good mosquito repellent!

Another storage increase. With the current winters here I only burn 1~2 full cords, unlike most of youse guys in colder climates. The most was 5 cords one winter back in the 80's.
With only a small electric splitter, I decided to keep 1 row open for extra room because it was handy to split on the slab with a close 20 amp outlet and easy cleanup. Now that I have a gas splitter I filled that open row which is about 1/2 cord. The other 3 rows are arborist cuts which range from 12 to 16". Anything over 16" I cut into cookies.

P4140007.JPGP5250029.JPGP6270003.JPGP6280008.JPGPA010005.JPG

Another storage increase. With the current winters here I only burn 1~2 full cords, unlike most of youz guys in colder climates. The most was 5 cords one winter back in the 80's.
With only a small electric splitter, I decided to keep 1 row open for extra room because it was handy to split on the slab with a close 20 amp outlet and easy cleanup. Now that I have a gas splitter I filled that open row which is about 1/2 cord. The other 3 rows are arborist cuts which range from 12 to 16". Anything over 16" I cut into cookies.

View attachment 999259View attachment 999261View attachment 999262View attachment 999263View attachment 999264
That looks great 👍.
Always nice to be prepared, and it appears you are.

That looks great 👍.
Always nice to be prepared, and it appears you are.
Thanks!
Well, that big pile of oak logs is far from gone. I was going to fill up all of the empty pallets along the fence with rounds but I don't think all of it will fit. I decided to split it instead but I still think there is too much to fit. It bugs me having all of that nice wood sitting on the wet ground. It's also blocking a grass driveway that I use occasionally.

Thanks!
Well, that big pile of oak logs is far from gone. I was going to fill up all of the empty pallets along the fence with rounds but I don't think all of it will fit. I decided to split it instead but I still think there is too much to fit. It bugs me having all of that nice wood sitting on the wet ground. It's also blocking a grass driveway that I use occasionally.
It's a never ending battle lol.
I still have the load of red oak sitting on my trailer, sure I'll get it off there soon, I want to sell that trailer lol.

I thought about something like that, but then how would I grease them both.

Got a bit done today on the trailer project. I was really hoping to get the stake pockets cut off and the rub rail cut from the stake pocket so I could cut the back half of the trailer off, and I had hopped to then get the rest of the wood cut at the 20' mark(plus the extra for the angle of the dovetail). Well it was one of those days where I was able to do more than I had hoped. Got all that done and then set the bed on the frame :happy: . Then I got that all centered up(except the 1/2" it needs to go forward because of the jack, next time ;)), then I removed the short boards from the dovetail section and set that on the frame :clap:. Then since the day was still young I cut the angle on the dovetail section of the deck, lined it all up, and then cleaned up the cuts so the meet up with less than 1/32 gap(that will get removed when I move the bed forward as that will change the angle slightly).

It was a great day, mockup is when you finally get to see how well everything is working, or if it isn't, and I was very pleased with how it's all coming together :rock:.

View attachment 999152View attachment 999154View attachment 999155
I haven't had mine apart yet, but the spacer wouldn't have to take up all the room, just enough thay grease can still get to the top and bottom without having to fill a larger cavity.
Stop working on that trailer I'm practically green with envy lol. Looks darn good.

Back