Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh I was going to say it really looks like the guy is going to work. A mountain bike, fishing rods and who knows what else. Who's he trying to kid?
well.... for my imo... you got it!!! 🎯 scary ride to work!... makes running the freeways down here seem like a park walk... even with road rage shootings. :nofunny:

i got scared right off, with the skiff parked along the boat ramp... seeing him out on the lake making waves only made situation worse... fishing and prob sighting for moose along the shores, too... i could write more, but i think any one of his pix worth more than any 1,000 words i could splatter out...

the KK: one tuff, brave Alaskan!!

:cheers:

man!!! a shop with a bar! :cheers: wonder if chipper's new barn's saw shop will have a bar in it, too!?? other than ones that fit the saws.... :lol:
Not even close to a real bar (yet). Right now it's just some bar stools and a beer fridge. But now that you say that, I do have plumbing out there, so I could install some log siding inside, add some 2" or 3" milled slabs for an actual bar top, a urinal, and have at it! A REAL man-cave. Damn, I may have to do that, once I actually catch up on my other projects.

You’re logging on an island? Where do they go with the logs? How do they transport them?
Make a raft in the bay out of several hundred bundles. Once the raft is big enough to accommodate a log ship. The raft is broken down and each individual bundle is loaded on a big ship. Then the wood is shipped to Asia. 👍

i learned it in my splitter's OM... always cylcle my ram 10 times summer, 20 in winter or fall, colder temps. i always do. i also always cycle my bucket up, down load, dump 10 times... always. I never go to work on cold seals, clearances or oil....

but sometimes it does seem a mute point!

View attachment 999757
Now I know why a guy would build his own loader! :cheers:

Yes something like 3 or 4 years ago now. Yep, nuts cold most of January and a bit into February. We burn full time for heating, on average were 8 to 10 cord a year depending on how long it stays cold. That year I was splitting wood before the end of heating season, the wood shed hold a full 10 cord and then some. That sucked.
That's a lot of wood, I don't think I could do that. When the brutal cold hit I was not burning wood due to job and spending the weekends at my property in PA. The only wood I had was old wet oak that I never got around to splitting. When I needed wood I would split a wheelbarrow full with a maul or wedges. I burned all of it during those 2 months which I think was roughly 1 cord or a little more.

P1010003.JPGP2170003.JPG

I'm still on the job mowing fields, around tree's and mowing everywhere else in sight.

Resized-20220628-150135-S.jpg

In fact, this job is going to go on so long, I decided to set up camp so I can take breaks and rest as much as I want, lol

Resized-20220627-155237-S.jpg

There are even fields of ferns to mow,

Resized-20220627-151733-S.jpg

Here's how much fuel I burned in 10.3 hours of mowing heavy grass with some hills,

Resized-20220628-193554-S.jpg

and that was off road nontaxed red fuel!

SR

I'm still on the job mowing fields, around tree's and mowing everywhere else in sight.

In fact, this job is going to go on so long, I decided to set up camp so I can take breaks and rest as much as I want, lol

Here's how much fuel I burned in 10.3 hours of mowing heavy grass with some hills,

SR
I like small camper you have. Would fit right in at the places I camp. as for the gas, Ouch! It would almost pay for itself to get some barb wire, fence it in and run some goats.

SR
Nice work Rob.
Where's that at.
By the time you finish you'll need to start over :laugh: .
That's a thirsty bugger. I use about a gallon an hr working the L3800 hard.
Fuel cost are certainly high and especially on diesel, that's the lowest I've seen it.
I need to refill the little tractor, probably get it next week, won't be that much, thank God!

What the old kubota? More like 22hp lol sure wish it had a cab and ac... here's some before till now pics. The last ones are current.
That looks great.
I like the jack!
I see it's ready for a grapple :rock:.
Got the brackets made up to mount the bed. Also tacked all but the front ones to the frame, then removed the bed. Today I plan on finishing the welds, tacking the jack back on, then hauling it home to blast it. I wanted it home yesterday, but things didn't go as I had hoped, may have set my goals a little high :yes:. Oh well, at least I made progress and didn't go backwards, well not that I know of yet lol.
Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 8.58.48 AM.png

WOW! now that is a Laker of a rock! amazing!!... how did u get it into the bucket? i got some smaller ones i want to move out of front yard garden area up at my ranch... and not sure just how to do it...'cause i don't want to scratch up the paint on the bucket....
:popcorn2:
Cant' remember if I used a tree I plan on removing, or if I was just able to get it in there. I'm honestly shocked the little tractor was able to pick it up.
If you look at the picture you can see the right side of the bucket is already bent :cry:. Good thing they are for work and that I'm not putting them on the kitchen island for pictures :picture::laughing:.
i can see why at a residence, but why at gravel pits? to make gravel out of them?
They just always have a few very large ones laying around that they haven't sold. They move the big ones on a lowboy trailer, 50k isn't abnormal o_O. Many times when I a gravel pit closes they build nice homes around the ponds and there will be some large rocks at the entrance.
I've never seen them crush them, but they might?

No scrounging but a friend came over to saw some boards with his Makita 6100. It’s on its second tank of fuel and needs more run time I think. He also brought an old Homelite SXL with a manual oiler. He asked if I thought he should be using the SXL to mill with. Seems like it would be a good idea even though it’s slow, it has much more torque. No pics of the saws but some of the boards, sorry. 3177FA54-D0CE-4B5C-BCEE-6AA763D67633.jpeg63F8BE90-6D03-4B14-847B-3B8784BBAE50.jpeg

Back