Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great.
Can you pull the logs out and sell them. Not sure why they called them, or did they cut and run šŸ¤”, but many times logs the mill won't take can be sold to the Amish.
Back about 40 years ago I was talking to a farmer friend and he said he had sold a bunch of large White Oak logs and the logger took one tractor trailer load and cut and run. Told me I could take all I wanted for firewood. I brought my old Hough Pay Loader over and loaded one dump truck load of 12' logs. As I was pulling out a local firewood guy pulled up and started freaking out. I knew him and was surprised how he was acting. Turned out, he bought all the firewood and payed the farmer up front. He told me to keep what I had, but please don't take anymore of his wood. Then he gave me the story on why the logger left all the White Oak logs. He had bought them for whiskey barrel staves. He got the first load to the mill and they said the market bellied up, and didn't even give him enough to cover fuel. The logs I took came to my armpit when I was standing next to them, beautiful veneer timber, cut up for firewood.

Back about 40 years ago I was talking to a farmer friend and he said he had sold a bunch of large White Oak logs and the logger took one tractor trailer load and cut and run. Told me I could take all I wanted for firewood. I brought my old Hough Pay Loader over and loaded one dump truck load of 12' logs. As I was pulling out a local firewood guy pulled up and started freaking out. I knew him and was surprised how he was acting. Turned out, he bought all the firewood and payed the farmer up front. He told me to keep what I had, but please don't take anymore of his wood. Then he gave me the story on why the logger left all the White Oak logs. He had bought them for whiskey barrel staves. He got the first load to the mill and they said the market bellied up, and didn't even give him enough to cover fuel. The logs I took came to my armpit when I was standing next to them, beautiful veneer timber, cut up for firewood.
What a crazy deal :dizzy:. Also, what was up with the farmer giving it away after he sold it :nofunny:.
That's amazing he didn't even try to sell them to someone else, can't imagine what even that one load would have gone for.

Between everything else going on, I'm still trying to get the two loads of logs milled, here's a pretty nice pine log going on the BSM,

Resized-20220809-114648-S.jpg

I'm milling these into 2x4's, 6's, 8's, 10's, and 12's, whatever the log will produce,

Resized-20220809-115841-S.jpg

The load of pine is now done,

Resized-20220809-155702-S.jpg

SO, it's now time to get started on the second load of logs,

Resized-20220809-155551-S.jpg

SR
Getrdun Rob.
Maybe I should bring some logs by to "help you get caught up" :laugh:.
Beautiful day for working outside today.
I've got the door open on my buddies barn so I can work on the back of the trailer. Glad he got the temporary paint booth taken down, I just pushed the firebird forward a bit.
I've got the supports for the middle of the fenders fabed up, ready to start on the mounting for the dovetail.
20220811_135735.jpg
I have to fix my miscalculation on the frame mounts before fabing the connector between the main portion of the deck and the dovetail, it's off because I added the 1.25" of white oak onto the frame after I welded the mounts to the frame :dumb:. It opened the gap between the two, I'll get it straightened away, its only time lol. Maybe I'll be pulling it home tomorrow afternoon as I probably won't finish this today.
Got any nice white oak 2x's for the tail :).
20220811_135910.jpg

Getrdun Rob.
Maybe I should bring some logs by to "help you get caught up" :laugh:.
Beautiful day for working outside today.
I've got the door open on my buddies barn so I can work on the back of the trailer. Glad he got the temporary paint booth taken down, I just pushed the firebird forward a bit.
I've got the supports for the middle of the fenders fabed up, ready to start on the mounting for the dovetail.
View attachment 1009336
I have to fix my miscalculation on the frame mounts before fabing the connector between the main portion of the deck and the dovetail, it's off because I added the 1.25" of white oak onto the frame after I welded the mounts to the frame :dumb:. It opened the gap between the two, I'll get it straightened away, its only time lol. Maybe I'll be pulling it home tomorrow afternoon as I probably won't finish this today.
Got any nice white oak 2x's for the tail :).
View attachment 1009337
Looks like that Firebird has some heavy duty fenders!

I saw those about five years ago, behind the VA hospital. They have 4-5 vans with that lug pattern. It was a what the hell! moment.
At the time Ford said they did it to get better quality/tolerances in their wheels!

I figured they just wanted to make people have to buy THEIR wheels!

SR

What does that even mean? Obsolete?
Well, technically I guess they are obsolete, but fans of them may not think so. Refers to Old Body Style, usually affectionately to 90's Ford trucks and apparently also to Chevy of the same era. Not sure what people will use as body styles continue to evolve/change.

Things are getting serious here. We've had no rain for 6 or more weeks, and although it cooled from our record breaking 40C it's been mid to high 20s without fail which is a hot summer day and above average. We've warmed up again this week, still warming, we might hit 38C for the weekend. We might get the second hottest day on record a fortnight after the hottest. The fabled long hot summer of '76 is nothing compared to this.

Between everything else going on, I'm still trying to get the two loads of logs milled, here's a pretty nice pine log going on the BSM,

Resized-20220809-114648-S.jpg

I'm milling these into 2x4's, 6's, 8's, 10's, and 12's, whatever the log will produce,

Resized-20220809-115841-S.jpg

The load of pine is now done,

Resized-20220809-155702-S.jpg

SO, it's now time to get started on the second load of logs,

Resized-20220809-155551-S.jpg

SR
How many pony's is that tractor SR?

It's an Igland skidding winch....3501. have it on the back of a tractor. It has roughly 160' on the spool, we have a 100' extension when it's down in the holler so to speak. At least they're easy to work on. Everything of importance is attached to the plate that comes out. I'll add some pics.View attachment 1009252View attachment 1009253

If I had the parts it would be an easy fix I believe. I'll pull the guard and fix the cable, replace the clutch arm return spring and then put a new chain on. I've got way too much wood, and this tool is necessary for that addiction.

Shea
Back lashes are a bummer no doubt! If at all possible? Maybe you could replace the wire rope with some Amsteel blue or Amsteel grey spectra when it comes time to switch it out. I've seen nightmare backlashes that had to be taken off the drum with oxy acetylene! šŸ‘Ž Spectra is much easier to deal with and you can fit more spectra of the same breaking strength as cable on the drum!šŸ‘

Just my two cents in case you didn't already know.

Used to drive a school bus (Chevy?) in the 70ā€™s that had 5-sided lug nuts. If we didnā€™t have the right wrench with us we were S.O.L.

Philbert
I knew of a kid in high school that would steal anything. He used to joke because he was under 18 he could get away with it. He turned 18, changed his ways, and became the most upstanding guy you ever met. Anyway, one of their favorite things to steal were school bus tires. The county busses were kept on a big gravel lot. The bays were so defined the busses would get in the groves made by the tires and just follow them back. Him and his cohorts would scoop a pile of gravel from the outside tire rut into the track of the inside. When the buss backed in the two outside tires were just off the ground enough they could pull them off. To my knowledge they never figured how they did it.

Looks like that Firebird has some heavy duty fenders!
Yes, they are šŸ˜‚.
Red yes, white no... Your trailer is coming along nicely!

SR
Thanks.
I ended up finishing everything I wanted to before bringing it home, so I did.
It was a little tighter once I cut the old mounts off the dovetail and then I even cleaned up the cut a little more. Once I cleaned it up it was tight all the way to the top, only the bottom was open a little, should be easy to weld up if that's what I decide to do. For now the brackets will hold it just fine, but I may weld it or have it welded to make it look a bit nicer, I'll also get some stainless fasteners. Now that it's home I'll tear all the steel parts off, hope to do that tomorrow.
When I was making the brackets I was thinking of you Canadians, even though it looks like I was thinking about "nada" LOL.
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.03.49 PM.png
That's better!
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 10.03.29 PM.png

Back