Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone bought any Filson tin pants or a tin coat lately? I saw a few new tin coats on e-bay fir $600.00!!! 😡 Used ones were going fir $300.00 to $350.00!!! What a bunch of BS!!! A lot of Filson tin clothing is back ordered! This whole supply and demand thing going on across the country is getting rediculass! 👎

Has anyone bought any Filson tin pants or a tin coat lately? I saw a few new tin coats on e-bay fir $600.00!!! 😡 Used ones were going fir $300.00 to $350.00!!! What a bunch of BS!!! A lot of Filson tin clothing is back ordered! This whole supply and demand thing going on across the country is getting rediculass! 👎
Yea , everything is gone way up, even used like ya said isn’t cheap ,always wanted a pair of the pants . Filson is great stuff have a wool shirt jacket and a couple wool vest are top notch .

A-Square got SAAMI approval for a 338-06 in 1998, but no one chambers guns for it.

It just seems like it would be a VG combo to me ... if a 308 is about ideal for 30 cal, than an 06 case should be about ideal for a 338.

No belted case means smoother operation and more magazine capacity, and it would have less recoil (and gun weight) than a 338 Win Mag, yet enough power to harvest about anything at a reasonable range. I'm sure for all practical purposes, my 30-06 will do just as well.

I also used to be enamored with the 264 ballistics, but ended up with a 270 WSM instead, and I also have a 220 swift. A major drawback of the Swift is the semi rimmed case, which requires careful attention when loading your gun (or the rounds will not feed properly).

what's the diameter of those logs? Looks about only 12"? Not a lot of BF if so.
The smallest log averages about 12" if counting for the taper. The others on this load don't really have much taper and are in the 14-18" range. For reference, that's actually a 16' car trailer...looks like a little Home depot utility trailer in the pic lol.

I have some bigger logs still at the job site, but I split one and another broke on impact, so there isn't as much useable wood as I hoped...those average out at probably 20". There's some more logs about the size of these ones, a bunch that are smaller, but still straight...the final piece was the butt of the tree. That's going to have to get chainsaw milled...39" across at the butt.

Morning guys. Burned a brush pile last night after dark. End up getting a call from 911 wondering if the fire was under control because a neighbor had called 911. Luckily the dispatcher saw that I had an active burning permit and called me rather than sending the fire department immediately.

Honestly, kind of stupid that somebody would just call 911 and waste valuable emergency resources rather than verifying that it was not a structure fire.

Morning guys. Burned a brush pile last night after dark. End up getting a call from 911 wondering if the fire was under control because a neighbor had called 911. Luckily the dispatcher saw that I had an active burning permit and called me rather than sending the fire department immediately.

Honestly, kind of stupid that somebody would just call 911 and waste valuable emergency resources rather than verifying that it was not a structure fire.
You'd be surprised what people call about. I've gotten called out to "fires" that ended up being dust from equipment, fog, clouds, etc. I got called to a structure fire once, because the lady saw the reflection of the fire in her wood stove, on her glossy ceiling, and thought her attic was on fire. People will call about anything and everything, so it's up to the 911 call-taker to screen the information coming in.

Good on yours for actually verifying the possibility of an emergency before tying up resources on a false alarm. Ours aren't always that good...another likely scenario is they don't want the liability of dismissing a call as erroneous. Every once in a while, a call sounds like fake news, but ends up being legit...usually the dispatcher/call taker get lampooned for it.

You'd be surprised what people call about. I've gotten called out to "fires" that ended up being dust from equipment, fog, clouds, etc. I got called to a structure fire once, because the lady saw the reflection of the fire in her wood stove, on her glossy ceiling, and thought her attic was on fire. People will call about anything and everything, so it's up to the 911 call-taker to screen the information coming in.

Good on yours for actually verifying the possibility of an emergency before tying up resources on a false alarm. Ours aren't always that good...another likely scenario is they don't want the liability of dismissing a call as erroneous. Every once in a while, a call sounds like fake news, but ends up being legit...usually the dispatcher/call taker get lampooned for it.
There's someone with a camera in a public place taking pictures, we'll be right there Karen, our officers have nothing better to do :nofunny:.

One time my ex-brother-in-law and his buddies were out doing burnouts on a secondary road with their cars. Someone called in and said people were “burning tires on the highway” so the fire department showed up expecting a pile of tires on fire.

Hey guys, hope all has been well with everyone. Been pretty busy here lately. Got a 4 day "weekend" feels like I have it easier at work lol. Help my brother put a pool up Saturday. Sunday got the escape inspected and ended up helping change a bunch of 11r22.5 tires for my uncle. Got the shed rearranged so the kubota could be parked in it. Mowed the grass foe the first time in 2 weeks and weed wacked for the first time in about a month. Stupid weedwacker is flooding at idle for some reason. Made for interesting times. Mowed about half the garden down. Foe some reason the squash, watermelon, and cucumber plants all went belly up in the past month. Turned yellow and died.
We got 20 chick's so I had to make a run for them and need to get amove on and finish up the coop for them. Figure I got another 2 weeks till they are too big for the run in the house.
Finally got plates for the escape. Pretty happy with it. Took the dmv a month and a day to get the title and plates to me. That was pretty aggravating.
Picked up axles for the crew cab. Was told the rear was 4.10 limited slip. But it turns out it has a mechanical locker in it. Was stoked when I realized that. Got the new cab bushings in this weekend too. Just need to make a trip out to my uncles storage shed to pick up the front clip. Think this should be a pretty quick project if I don't get too fussy with it.

It was FIREWOOD day, and my friend and me, went to the woods to "scrounge" up some firewood. I knew where I had some wood stockpiled, so we got started, with me bringing the wood to my friend and him cutting it over my wagon,

Resized-20220815-113438-S.jpg

I kept bringing them, and he kept cutting, it sure takes a LOT of work out of firewood to cut over a wagon or trailer!

Resized-20220815-113601-S.jpg

This oak has been down for a year or so, so it's already started to dry,

Resized-20220815-120547-S.jpg

The last load we cut for me, so this load was for my friend,

Resized-20220815-122012-S.jpg

So, I pulled it home and got set up, and we then split the whole load,

Resized-20220815-132328-S.jpg

and my friend ended up with a nice load of splits!

Resized-20220815-135837-S.jpg

We have more out there to cut/split and even to skid, but that's for another day!

SR

W/O going into all the details, when I was a teenager, we decided a neighbor needed to be taught a lesson. As 4 of us sat in a vacant lot, at night a block away watching, we had lured her out of the house while we had a firecracker in a cigarette time fuse on her lawn.

She was almost standing on it, shinning her flashlight looking for us when it went off. She dropped the flashlight and went running into the house screaming like a banshee!

We were cracking up laughing, but the next thing you know sirens were blaring and the neighborhood was littered with NYS Trooper cars. Turns out that after she ran into her house screaming, she called the police to report that her house had been dynamited! This was long before 911, so she likely called the operator (O) to get the police. Some of our innocent friends ended up being searched and thoroughly questioned but we were never caught.

There was a lot more to the story, but this is the abbreviated version.

Looks great. What did you use to prep it.
I pulled all the steel parts off the deck of the trailer today and then used the pressure washer and a media blaster kit to blast them(reminds me of the Martian on bugs bunny Marvin). Anyway lol, I managed to get them all done, hope to prime them tomorrow, while their drying maybe I can pressure wash the aluminum and the decking, we'll see.
This is one of the eight parts I did. I also have a couple small parts on the frame in the back I'll do tomorrow and prime/paint them right after as ill just dry them with a torch :blob2:.
20220815_153514.jpg20220815_153524.jpg20220815_160905.jpg20220815_160941.jpg

Hey guys. Why do Husky 346/350 start leaking oil through the bar pad? Oil pump going bad?
Some Husqvarna models leaked at oil hose connections. The fix was to disassemble, clean the surfaces with solvent, and reassemble with Permatex.

Pretty simple: even I could do it.

Philbert

Hey guys. Why do Husky 346/350 start leaking oil through the bar pad? Oil pump going bad?
Shouldn't be the pump going bad, but many times the connections at the pump will leak.
I like to pull the pump and clean the hose ends real well, then reassemble using super glue on the ends. If that doesn't work you'll need to replace the one to the bar, but while your ordering it you may as well get the pickup tube also.

Back