Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be looking into the hernia fix soon. I keep putting it off, and it keeps getting worse. I've had it 10 years or better. It's above and to the right of my belly button. It started a little piece of intestine would pop out and I could take 1 finger and push it back in. Now if I sneeze it pops and it's almost the size of my fist and hurts like heck. I have to take my whole palm and gently push it back in. I tried a big rubber band, like a coreset, to hold it in when I'm doing heavy stuff. It works well, but I just have to get it fixed. Good luck with yours.

My doctor warned me that a hernia will always keep getting bigger.

Finally got the date for he hernia operation. Sept 12 "they'll call with the time". Gosh, now where have I heard that before? Probably an overnight stay and 3 weeks very limited activity.

I wonder what shape I will be in after that. My stamina level seems to be deceasing as it is. Usually on 3 hours/day on the saws and take every second day off. Even worse my starting arm is getting weaker. For the first time ever I had to use the decomp button on both the MS362 and Ms441 cold start day before yesterday.

Not doing too badly on the harves. I have some 6 cord in the 'to be split/piled stack. oops, I forgot the 2 cord of maple and horse chestnut to add into that.
You definitely need to take care of yourself and not over do it afterwards. And 3 hours on a saw is no small thing. I think maybe the key thing as we age is to eat well and stay active. There is definitely a difference between staying active and slugging your guts out! Hope all goes well

I'm going to be looking into the hernia fix soon. I keep putting it off, and it keeps getting worse. I've had it 10 years or better. It's above and to the right of my belly button. It started a little piece of intestine would pop out and I could take 1 finger and push it back in. Now if I sneeze it pops and it's almost the size of my fist and hurts like heck. I have to take my whole palm and gently push it back in. I tried a big rubber band, like a coreset, to hold it in when I'm doing heavy stuff. It works well, but I just have to get it fixed. Good luck with yours.
Yeah I'd be looking into that sooner rather than later. When you need a rubber band so your guts don't pop out..... Hope you get it looked after.

Taught my oldest grandson (15) how to reload yesterday, so today I took him to the range with some of the reloads he made.

I was very pleased the 223 bolt gun was shooting 3/4" at 100 yds. That is easily good enough to waste a chuck at 200 yds, and it does not need to do more than that.

I got a Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 when they first came out. At the time, they asked purchasers for suggestions. I suggested they also chamber it in 223. They replied that they did not intend to do that, but I guess others made the same suggestion because sure enough, they soon chambered it in 223. Mine is the light weight standard model, which is no longer offered in 223 (only the heavier barrel "predator" models are, which are tack drivers) but weight 1/2 lb more.

My load is fairly stout, a 52 grin Hornady BTHP over 26.5 grains of H-335. The 223 is very pleasant to shoot, you barely feel any recoil.

The important thing is, we BOTH had a good time!
Sounds awesome MustangM! Range time, is a good time! Especially with family! 👍

Bummer Nate! It has been very hot and dry here also, luckily since most of our woods are hardwoods, we don't get many forest fires.

We did have some along the Hudson a few decades ago, and the wife and I would hike up a mountain on the opposite side and watch the helicopters take water out of the Hudson and drop it on the fires. One fire was near Bear Mtn and one was opposite Cold Spring (just North of West Point). Only time in my life I saw that happen.

However, we did have some other problems that you likely don't have. The fires were near Cold Spring (where they used to build cannons) and West Point, and they discovered that from the Revolutionary war to WWII some of the remote locations were used for target practice, and not everything exploded. As a result, firefighters had to be very cautious, and many State hiking trails remained closed for several years afterwards as the "checked them out"!

I love reloading, ususlly try to do that as a winter time project. I spent a lot of money retooling here in the last year because I hadn’t reloaded in about 15 years. Now I’ve got everything except for .35 whelen improved dies and 348 and 358 bullets.

With my son shooting a lot more we go through a lot of ammo if I let him. And I try to let him as much as we can because I want him to get as much practice as he can. I also bought a Savage axis in .223 so we can practice with cheaper ammo in a gun that’s very similar to what we deer hunt with.

Did another state forest trip on the weekend, this time solo. Only used the 7900 with the 20” bar and 8 pin rim. I ended up filling the trailer 3 pieces high, the other week was only two high.

The forestry people had started burning some of the piles which surprised me as it was pretty green wood and there’s been a lot of rain lately, but I guess they know what they’re doing.
View attachment 1010921
View attachment 1010922
View attachment 1010923
hi Jk - a pix 3 high would have been nice! :) but alas, guess i can just use the one that KK posted up... what was it? 4 high!!! ?

:drinkingcoffee:

It didn't yet, but then again I haven't done it lol.
Got everything pressure washed and the last few little spots touched up with the blaster. Paint after a couple left over hamburgers :sweet:.
Here's before and after a couple "rows" done, looks great now and it will look even better when it's dry.
Even got a wheelbarrow in there for @H-Ranch :p.
View attachment 1010817View attachment 1010818
sure fire way to beat the runs....

oops! sorry about that!! ~ prob will be read the wrong way! :rolleyes:

2 burgers would put me down for the count. expecially if Chicago burgers... mayo only, and lots of that!

i got some nice scrounged big boards treated i was thinking of power washing for when i redo mr Brutus' home. but then, maybe not... no one will see the underside. old non-treated drag-it-in pallet i made up as given up the ghost front side; bow. sorta like Disasters At Sea show on the cable... 'SOS!... SOS!... Help!!! .... listing hard a-bow... and port side, too! "

wet and clean reminds me of a local co's old gray fence redo services... old n gray, then looking like fresh varnish and stain...

quite the trailer fab-up project there chipper! bit on awesome! hope the bumper pull works good for you. i thot of you day before... first i saw it turn in front of me as i was taking main drag in RH turn... a big trailer like ur's loaded with Harley Hogs... then we went shopping. and low and b... close to home, and i saw it again... heading to the freeway. 3 hogs looking ready to ride... and one seeminly in needs of bit more than just an extra kick start!! 5th wheel set up...

your trailer project, well... imo.... makes ur barn project seem more so just about like little more than a walk in the park!!!

:laughing: (ps: not lfg for that, but no spray, no runs...)

the wrap: 2 things i hate about rattle cans!!: when no paint comes out and... runs!

carry on! 👌

My doctor warned me that a hernia will always keep getting bigger.
My dad has had 3 or 4, nothing to mess with, doctor said if you feel sick or anything go to er could possibly die, another buddy did almost die from not getting hernia taken care of. Something like strangulation then sepsis. He barely survived and had some intestine removed.

Well, a truck came for the construction lumber I milled out, so I loaded it up for him and I was glad to see it go!

Resized-20220817-163215-S.jpg

Then I loaded an old oak log on the mill and made some 4x4's for me,

Resized-20220819-115649-S.jpg

I cut a couple of them off with the Husky 550xp, because I needed them a bit shorter, for a little project I'm working on,

Resized-20220819-134607-S.jpg

Now I have a way to easily carry looong poles when I want to haul them! (or my canoe)

SR

My dad doing same thing, do you know how heavy it is? Wondering if 3 pt hitch will pick it up
I have a NX4510HST and the rear lift is 3,177. The loader is here in the photo. With the proper ballast I have no problem lifting the totes in the picture I posted. That wood is all dried hardwood. Screenshot_20220819-202823_Google.jpg

Back