Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7018 is a low hydrogen electrode. It's the dissolved hydrogen that bubbles in the weld pool that start cracks. This is a direct result of moisture. Rods need to be baked at 250°f and kept warm and dry. So don't keep em on your shelf in an unheated garage. Get a sealed container to keep them in and bake them for a while before using them.
Yea I did not open the box of rods and it's sealed in plastic. Not going to grind until I'm ready to weld. Thanks for the no heat tip.

The jred 2252 is ready to do a bit of cutting either today or tomorrow out back, then I have a couple bigger box elder to drop at a friends that is getting bucked up for bonfire wood(tomorrow on those).
EVERYONE who runs my Jonsered 2260 just plain loves it,

Resized-20220924-154548.jpg

Including me! lol

SR

Ran down to Paul b Zimmermanns after work with my boy. Decided to go stainless steel from the furnace to the new chimney. It's single walled 304, and man is it way thick! Much thicker then black pipe. I had a heck of a time drilling it to put the holding screws in. Hopefully it last longer then 2 years like the black pipe. Cost $168.00 for the pipe, 90* and 15* elbow. Only needed 14 1/2" of the straight section. But it's done.
While I was there I picked up a polly brush for cleaning the chimney. The directions were very specific not to use a steel brush. Only thing I'm really worried about in the whole system is the stupid adapter that goes into the wall thimble. It was supplied with the starter kit and it's stainless, but it's pretty cheapy. I'm sure I'm over thinking things.

Attachments

• 20221003_184607.jpg
    20221003_184607.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Just the opposite here in Michigan. Our T
Got a green dump site not in my township, but next to my friends farm. Few of the local tree guys dump chips and wood off there. I had my friend inquire about us going up there and taking the rounds/logs. Basically was told absolutely not, once there they are township property. They bring a big tub grinder in and turn it into compost, which they turn around and sell to township residents. Can't say anymore without getting political.
Just the opposite here. Our yard is open to the public, and when the compost / mulch piles are ready, material vanishes in a month.

The wood is another matter given the safety required.

Yea I did not open the box of rods and it's sealed in plastic. Not going to grind until I'm ready to weld. Thanks for the no heat tip.
Just a couple of suggestions. I like to put the rods I am going to use on top of my wood stove. Top of stove gets to around 5-600 degreesf. If I have a big project, I will lay the whole box on the stove. For storing rods, You can take a vacuum sealer and place the rods in a bag and use the vacuum sealer to suck the air out. Put just a handfull of rods in each bag, that way you just open a bag with a few rods instead of a bunch of rods. If you make the bags a little long, you can open at the melted seam, get the rods out you need and then reseal the bag.

Ran down to Paul b Zimmermanns after work with my boy. Decided to go stainless steel from the furnace to the new chimney. It's single walled 304, and man is it way thick! Much thicker then black pipe. I had a heck of a time drilling it to put the holding screws in. Hopefully it last longer then 2 years like the black pipe. Cost $168.00 for the pipe, 90* and 15* elbow. Only needed 14 1/2" of the straight section. But it's done.
While I was there I picked up a polly brush for cleaning the chimney. The directions were very specific not to use a steel brush. Only thing I'm really worried about in the whole system is the stupid adapter that goes into the wall thimble. It was supplied with the starter kit and it's stainless, but it's pretty cheapy. I'm sure I'm over thinking things.
Stainless the only way to go Sean. Had mine for about 5 years now and no sign of breaking down. It is a pita to drill.

Just the opposite here in Michigan. Our T

Just the opposite here. Our yard is open to the public, and when the compost / mulch piles are ready, material vanishes in a month.

The wood is another matter given the safety required.
I wish it was like that around here.

I'd love to find a tree like this when Im "on the scrounge!" I bet it yields at least seven cord!👍View attachment 1021650
I've been working off property setting up for a Christmas drive through light show, in the woods. They had a tree company come in and clean up around the road. They just dropped trees and left them. I was nearly in tears the first day. Asked everyone I could and no one is allowed to remove any of the wood. There's at least 3 oaks that go in the 36" dbh range, many hickory and Beach that are in the 18-20" range. They are just gonna lay there and rot. The oak would and hickory would make some beautiful lumber. Nice straight sticks.

I've been working off property setting up for a Christmas drive through light show, in the woods. They had a tree company come in and clean up around the road. They just dropped trees and left them. I was nearly in tears the first day. Asked everyone I could and no one is allowed to remove any of the wood. There's at least 3 oaks that go in the 36" dbh range, many hickory and Beach that are in the 18-20" range. They are just gonna lay there and rot. The oak would and hickory would make some beautiful lumber. Nice straight sticks.
Man! What a bummer Sean D! Also, what a waste!👎 Sorry to hear that bud.☹️

Man! What a bummer Sean D! Also, what a waste!👎 Sorry to hear that bud.☹️
I'll grab a few pics if the rain let's off long enough, it's a crying shame. Around here it's a big enough pain just to source wood with heating costs rising, let alone seeing prime wood going to shite...

I'll grab a few pics if the rain let's off long enough, it's a crying shame. Around here it's a big enough pain just to source wood with heating costs rising, let alone seeing prime wood going to shite...
Is everyone you asked going to grab them for themselves?

Got on working on a little on the scrounged Pine last night. Got my P41 out last night which is the only full wrap saw I have but it is well worth it. I've always loved these saws and have to pull them out every now and then. My friend Chris in Ottawa the P40-P50 saws was his grandfathers favorite saws. So In memory of him I pull one out every so often and cut some blocks with them.

NY is just as bad (if not worse) than PA, I see lots of stuff down on State or NYC land (they own all the reservoirs around here) and you can't touch it!

Good thing I have lots of Tax Clients. One (who also has his FFL which I used to get the Gunbroker gun) has several dead Ash trees he wants dropped and removed, and he lives close to my daughter (who heats with wood), so it will work out nicely.

With about 300 clients, every year someone want something dropped or cut up and removed. (I actually go to many of their houses).

Now I just have to get over there and do it!

Got on working on a little on the scrounged Pine last night. Got my P41 out last night which is the only full wrap saw I have but it is well worth it. I've always loved these saws and have to pull them out every now and then. My friend Chris in Ottawa the P40-P50 saws was his grandfathers favorite saws. So In memory of him I pull one out every so often and cut some blocks with them.

One of these days I'm going to have to get my 700D running. Since I sold the 075, I think the 700 is my biggest saw at 107CC's.

Back