Sealed bearing in crankcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerchad

Reaction score
Building a clone 660, can you use high quality sealed bearings in crankcase with oil seals also? Thanks for any help

Building a clone 660, can you use high quality sealed bearings in crankcase with oil seals also? Thanks for any help
I have wondered that as well. I would be more inclined to remove the inner seal so the bearing could get some oil and leave the outer bearing seal and the crank seal in place.

One bearing model I've seen is the same bearing used on Delco Alternators for years. Some were sealed on both sides and some had a cover that held grease. In both cases, the bearings never received any lube during use - for thousands of miles. RPMs would be close to some chainsaw speeds.

My biggest worry was the heat. Sealed bearings can withstand 250 degrees but I’m not sure how hot it actually gets inside case I wouldn’t think it would be that hot though. Thanks for all the in put first saw I’ve built from ground up will take any advice I can get.

One bearing model I've seen is the same bearing used on Delco Alternators for years. Some were sealed on both sides and some had a cover that held grease. In both cases, the bearings never received any lube during use - for thousands of miles. RPMs would be close to some chainsaw speeds.

I do maintenance in a textile plant. There are sealed bearings in some of them that have been running for years, 24 hours a day, mostly skf. Although most are not running at chainsaw speeds.

I don't think the bearing seals are designed to handle vacuum/pressure pulses. But they might prevent adequate lubrication from reaching the seal that is designed for that purpose.

Back