Seasoning Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've got a bunch of rounds that have been sitting for a few years (2 or 3 cords worth) and they need to be split. It's mostly Ash and range from 8" to 16".

I'm weighing buying a 25 ton splitter and was wondering if I waited until maybe September, if this stuff would be ready to burn this winter.

I've heard that Ash doesn't actually need to to be seasoned at all - it's just better if you do. Does wood season thoroughly if sitting as rounds?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I've got a bunch of rounds that have been sitting for a few years (2 or 3 cords worth) and they need to be split. It's mostly Ash and range from 8" to 16".

I'm weighing buying a 25 ton splitter and was wondering if I waited until maybe September, if this stuff would be ready to burn this winter.

I've heard that Ash doesn't actually need to to be seasoned at all - it's just better if you do. Does wood season thoroughly if sitting as rounds?

Thanks.
If you want a splitter, get it now..…there won’t be any left. There were none last year and good splitters are almost a year out.

as for seasoning, you Should be fine. The majority of the cellular water is gone and the remaining water is just wet wood that will dry quickly.

I have a 25T splitter from TSC and it does a great job on all the ash I'm splitting. Way faster than doing it by hsnd, And easier on my body too.
If the ash was dead it'll burn nicely pretty much right away and dries up nicely in a few weeks. If it was still alive then a good 3 months is all it needs.

These rounds are waiting to be split just because it's been stupid hot and I've had other things to do. I also was waiting on the firewood bags I ordered to arrive. Normally I'd just split as I go and have time.

Attachments

• 630625F2-D19D-4EAD-8924-17D2553FD56D.jpeg
    630625F2-D19D-4EAD-8924-17D2553FD56D.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Or a single bit axe. Working from the outside is easier than trying to split it in the middle, but again Ash splits real easy.
I like using a maul as I just stand them on the ground and if the maul hits a rock no big deal.

With an axe I stand them on a short spliting round, or leave them on their side and hit them in the middle, like using a golf club. If they don't split/axe gets stuck, I'll flip the axe/round and bring the backside of the axe down on the spliting round.

For 8" to 16" ash, ID get a Fiskars splitting axe. My shoulder is shot. No more swinging a maul, but I can still deal with an ax so long as I pace myself. Even pacing myself, I can out pace 2 people running a hydraulic splitter. I have a 25T splitter, and use it a lot, but I wouldn't bother starting it for ash.

As far as being seasoned, if it's been sitting for 2 years, you're good. Just spit it small enough to burn and you're good to go.

Latest posts

Back