second career

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m planning to retire next year. I’m a fit 55 year old and have a dream to work with trees. Is it ridiculous for me to work as a groundsman? Will I be passed over as too old? I see lots of job postings where I live in Connecticut. Maybe the job market is favorable right now for an older newbie?

I’m planning to retire next year. I’m a fit 55 year old and have a dream to work with trees. Is it ridiculous for me to work as a groundsman? Will I be passed over as too old? I see lots of job postings where I live in Connecticut. Maybe the job market is favorable right now for an older newbie?

Being exceptionally skilled with a chainsaw may save you from doing a lot of grunt work that is better done by a younger man.

Being exceptionally skilled running ropes for a professional climber would be a valuable skill set for an older ground worker.

Having a CDL is always a big plus.

The absolute best person I work with out of a pool of seven different people was born in 1950. None of the other six are slouches by any means but Robert is the most skilled, experienced, driven, focussed and reliable. Maybe not quite as strong or ‘fast’ but he makes up for that with smart working

Being exceptionally skilled with a chainsaw may save you from doing a lot of grunt work that is better done by a younger man.

Being exceptionally skilled running ropes for a professional climber would be a valuable skill set for an older ground worker.

Having a CDL is always a big plus.
Thank you very much. This helps a lot. John

Latest posts

Back