Seedling/tree tubes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings! I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but I will post and if it gets moved, no problem. I have 100 Oak seedlings and I've been shopping for tree tubes and stakes. I didn't realize how expensive they are, especially compared to the seedlings themselves. I think I paid $0.50 per seedling, plus shipping. I have a lot of deer, so I'm probably looking at a 5 foot tube. Any (economical) suggestions would be appreciated!

Here’s what I did. 4 foot high wire 6’ long into circle. Tied to a five foot t post. The ones requiring a tube I used 4” sewer pipe Cut into 3’ sections. I can’t imagine a tree that needs a 5’ tube. I cut our pecan trees (12’) to about 4’. The higher the tree the more stress on the root system. The first two years are root development.
FEA65D59-4F88-4EC6-A055-A8A838F40DE6.jpeg

The picture makes ALL the difference.

You could troll concrete companies and thier job site looking for left over welded wire cut offs they aren't going to use. Otherwise, you have an expensive proposition. GL

Corrigated drain filed pipe. 4". Buy in100 foot rolls at least.
That sounds easy and probably economical but does enough light get in?
Otherwise, you have an expensive proposition. GL
Yeah, I'm looking at anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00 per tube. Another option would be to tag each seedling with florescent orange marker tape and then spray the seedling with that smelly deer repellent every few weeks or so. From what I've read, a 4 foot tube may be marginal in an area with a heavy deer population. I've seen them stand on their hind legs to munch on browse.

Meh. I did the math on the corrugated drain field stuff and I'd be looking at about $5.12 for a 4 foot piece, plus labor to cut and whatnot. Back to the drawing board…

How about a 5 gallon bucket with mesh cover. Drill large hole in bottom, place over top of seedling, fill bucket with some dirt to hold down and then a mesh cover to keep mouths out. Labor intensive for sure. I have seen buckets for sale from $1 to 3 dollars a piece fb

Thanks Kyle---I would probably look at something like that if I only had a few. Some of the seedlings are already "5 gallon bucket high" and it wouldn't solve my deer problem. Once today's monsoons subside, I'll probably start planting but at least for starters I will probably just go with marking each seedling and spraying it with deer repellent and then install the tubes once I figure out what I am doing and where I can buy them cheap. I have 100 seedlings but maybe I will just do 50 tubes.

Back