Selfless: Trees redistribute 95% of the water they absorb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradevans132

Reaction score
When it rains, they absorb stormwater into their roots and leaves, reducing erosion and flooding. Later, their leaves release it back into the air through transpiration, producing a powerful cooling effect that affects local microclimates.
Trees are awesome

Attachments

• forest-in-the-rain-1634665541988.jpg
    forest-in-the-rain-1634665541988.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 0
When it rains, they absorb stormwater into their roots and leaves, reducing erosion and flooding. Later, their leaves release it back into the air through transpiration, producing a powerful cooling effect that affects local microclimates.
Trees are awesome
One hell of a photo. It is what dreams are made of.

Trees are awesome

I grew up surrounded by forests and worked with trees as an arborist. Over those 60 years, I find that to be true assuming you mean separately at different times. For example, I don't see trees absorb water fast during heavy rain to where that would reduce flooding at the moment. But it's evident rain sticks by adhesion and some rain actually evaporates before hitting the ground so that less water reaches the ground immediately.

The shading aspect is something we put to use right away at out new home, planting a dozen trees to block summer sun.

Back