Semi-chisel vs full chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubster

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I argue with my friends a lot on this subject.I have a Husqvarna 545 Mark 2 running .325 and it seems to cut best with the semi chisel.I notice it most cutting smaller limbs.The limb isnt jerking around and the saw seems to self feed through hard wood with no leaning on it.The 028 Super I used to own seemed to really shine with the semi chisel.I think the 50cc class and smaller benefit from less bite of the cutter and more from actual chain speed.Any thoughts on that?

As the semi-chisel doesn’t dull as quickly as chisel when in contact with dirt or sand particles, the semi may feel like it cuts faster. A grit dulled chisel will cut slower than a semi-chisel with the same contact with grit. At least that’s been my experience.
JQ
I would say that a fair assessment. But both chains sharpened property, the full chisel will wipe the floor with the semi chisel in clean wood. The semi chisel is better for dirty wood though since it doesn’t dull as fast.

In order to make it worth the effort to discuss we need to know the make and model of the two chains to be compared. There is Nk, champher chisel that has a small corner radius and general semi chisel that has a larger corner radius, then the actual size of the chain The 55 cc max or the 62cc max choices.

Chisel square ground
Chisel round ground
Semi-chisel round ground
Chipper round ground

Top of the list to bottom of the list for best cutting performance. Bottom to top for durability of the cutting edge. Round ground can easily be sharpened in the field. Most of my chains are chisel round ground.

I think what has turned many off to semi-chisel is they associate it with the little lo-kick chains that came on their 45-50cc saw.I run Stihl RM .I have hit nails with my saws and one tooth will cut the nail and the other cutters not be affected.Also many folks new to saws or filing will find the RM a bit more forgiving.

Chisel square ground
Chisel round ground
Semi-chisel round ground
Chipper round ground

Top of the list to bottom of the list for best cutting performance. Bottom to top for durability of the cutting edge. Round ground can easily be sharpened in the field. Most of my chains are chisel round ground.
^^^ that

Don't put cutters in dirt azzwipe!

I have several loops of semi-chisel that I use regularly (non-safety chain). I have no complaints. It's difficult to make an objective comparison between the 2 as one can't "A" vs "B" very well without some hassle-factor swapping out chain loops in the middle of cutting. Here in the west, I mostly cut conifers, many with thick bark. It's fairly common to see bark contaminated with dirt/grit up to 3 feet above ground level -- particularly around areas with water. That's when I reach for a semi-chisel loop.

JQ

I still prefer full chisel even if the woods a little dirty. I’ll just make a pass or two with a file after every tank of gas.
If I’m not spitting out chips the size of dimes I’m not gonna be happy with a chain.

In .325" the difference is not that great, but keep in mind my 50-55cc saws are strong runners, not "turds" so I can "push" them pretty hard with either type of chain.

When I first started running chainsaws back in the mid-1970's I had the attitude that you were a sissy if you didn't run full chisel chain and whack the rakers down some. In recent years I've grown fond of semi-chisel and outfitting more of my saws with it. Since a lot of the wood we cut here is left over from logging operations and can be dirty at times you'll just go further before it's time to toss the saw aside and grab another one if you are using semi-chisel......

So, is this the video showing what a successful person is? How many others have all new and shiny bars on there saws? Or an excavator to assist lifting logs? I wish the man well but it makes me feel bad knowing that I am unable to afford the equipment that he possesses.

So, is this the video showing what a successful person is? How many others have all new and shiny bars on there saws? Or an excavator to assist lifting logs? I wish the man well but it makes me feel bad knowing that I am unable to afford the equipment that he possesses.
I know the feeling.I felt bad for dropping $75 on an X27 Fiskars .But as age catches up with me,that fancy stuff sure would help.

In South Africa, Stihl RM (semi-chisel) chain is almost unheard of. Most dealers look at you with blank stares when you order RM, and ask for a part number. I too was guilty of using only RS (full chisel) chain, because it "cut the fastest". In over 20 years of cutting, I've never had the stopwatch running whilst felling a tree. Some 3 years ago I ran into an elderly chap on YouTube who said that nobody needs "all them sharp edges" of the RS chain cut cut yourself on. He only used RM. I ignored this advice until recently, when I started doing some research on RM chain, and discovered it cuts 93% as fast as RS, but lasts almost 3x as long.

Doing a little sum, I calculated that running for an hour on RS, and changing the chain for a fresh one every 20 minutes (allowing for 3 minutes per "pit stop"), I ended up exactly even running an RM chain. Considering that we cut many hardwood trees with tough, abrasive bark (such as the Eucalyptus), the RM chains just make sense, and I'm gradually phasing out the RS.

My 2c.

His stuff is so shiny you KNOW he hasn't much experience. Typical youtuber. A blind leading the blind thing. Most of the folks with real knowledge gained through experience are not youtubers. Although some are...

oh, and I have never seen a semi chisel chain on anyone's saw. However, they might be worth a try. I'm not sure if they are even available around here. One day I will find out.

I still prefer full chisel even if the woods a little dirty. I’ll just make a pass or two with a file after every tank of gas.
If I’m not spitting out chips the size of dimes I’m not gonna be happy with a chain.
Yep. The faster she cuts the faster you can put 'er down. Now that I finally have a way of getting almost perfect RS chains in just a few minutes I don't care, I just swap chains when it starts cutting slower at all.

I'm not sure but I think the RS takes less power to cut too.

I run full chisel on all my saws, and I actually take more off the rakers then most people.
The semi may feel smoother, but I promise it doesn’t cut as fast. A good chisel chain and the saw should pretty much cut by itself.

Unless falling decent sized trees, technical/dangerous falling, bucking rounds, milling or racing, speed doesnt matter in this scenario.

I think what has turned many off to semi-chisel is they associate it with the little lo-kick chains that came on their 45-50cc saw.I run Stihl RM .I have hit nails with my saws and one tooth will cut the nail and the other cutters not be affected.Also many folks new to saws or filing will find the RM a bit more forgiving.
I was in this category. In fact for the longest time I thought all semi chisels were safety chains until some guys here told me you could get a semi chisel with the single raker.
So I tried a yellow Stihl semi chisel chain but still like the full chisel better because it just plain cuts better and faster. Bottom line

but I’ll admit I’m pretty religious about touching up the teeth with my file and not letting the chisel get dull or let the depth gauge get too high.
I guess if you don’t do a lot of saw maintenance and don’t learn how to file, the semi chisel has its place. In any conditions, I’ve never known a faller to run anything but a full chisel. But who knows what folks are doing these days. Arborists may have a different take on things rather than an old school logger.
I guess best reply is...whatever makes you feel confident about the job you have in front of you

Back