Semi-chisel vs full chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, the RS cuts about twice as fast as RM when freshly sharpened, and maybe after 3 tanks of fuel, it slows down to RM speed. Then I spend 5 minutes sharpening it and I am good to go. And yes, I cut dry wood and run into some dirt on it.
My expiereance is the same. And in all honesty RM doesn't stay sharp twice as long.

While not all encompassing, still a good vid albeit a few yrs. old.
I would consider it unbiased info.

....but in the vain of AS tradition,.... what transmission have you found to be the most durable when connected to a 7.3 idi that mostly hauled dirt bikes from the seventies that ran 22.7:1 bean oil?

I used semi chisel (oregon .325 bpx) while bucking up fire wood this winter instead of the lpx I usually run. The wood was muddy because it didnt freeze up long enough to get all the wood out of the woods.
I sharpened it to a 35 degree top plate angle and lowered the depth gauges past the soft wood setting on my gauge and the semi cut chisel fairly fast. It stayed sharper longer while hitting grit/mud than full chisel and if I hit a rock it was way faster/easier to get it sharp again.
If im falling trees I like full chisel better but for bucking im going to stick to the semi chisel for now.

While not all encompassing, still a good vid albeit a few yrs. old.
I would consider it unbiased info.

....but in the vain of AS tradition,.... what transmission have you found to be the most durable when connected to a 7.3 idi that mostly hauled dirt bikes from the seventies that ran 22.7:1 bean oil?

I use Stihl RS chain. I drag logs out of the woods before bucking them. They do get muddy. I try to cut through from the clean side when I can, so the dirt gets flung off instead of making the chain cut through it. I find that the extra speed of the RS more than makes up for the more frequent sharpening required. I sharpen every 2nd or 3rd tank of fuel, using a Pferd 2-in 1 sharpener. It takes me about 5 minutes.

I don't loan out tools of any type these days, however everything around here is for sale except the dogs and grand kids, even the wife. She's the best deal on the property because in a week you'll pay me twice as much to take her back!......LOL....
"loan" is a noun, not a verb, so you cannot "loan" anything. But you can lend it. I am not likely to lend my MS500i to anyone.

I just cut the skirt off of a really dirty root bulb with one of my chisel chains, and I feel like it was plenty durable. Hard for me to tell the difference in durability. But I definitely like the way they cut.

The worst thing about chisel chain it that soon as you hit something the corners get rounded off and you lose 1/3 of the link to get it sharp again . Steve
That’s for sure. Sometimes if you hit a nail or whatever, it’s hardly worth it.

Back