Serious termite problem in Sycamore tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matthew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a homeowner and recently had two sycamore trees trimmed (no comment on trimming job) and discovered a pretty serious termite problem. I noticed the bark split open in several areas and especially near a large branch. Then when probing I found many sections of bark were just sitting ("floating") on top of termite damage and dead almost rotting looking wood. It looks like they have been quite busy eating away under the bark, I'm not sure if they are going deep into the tree or just the surface.

The trimmers didn't really have a clue and there appears to be a lack of arborists in the area to help me figure out the course of action. Local termite companies say they don't mess with live trees and other tree service companies say they don't have expertise with this either. The trimmer did at least confirm that when trimming they put full weight on the branch and it seemed solid.

My thoughts on treatment (couldn't find anything online describing how to treat this exact scenario)

1. Continue removing all dead "floating" bark to reveal damage underneath.
2. Remove/scrape/sand/grind dead wood underneath until reaching clean un-molested wood to further assess damage and potential entry holes to tree. (Spraying any living termites and grubs in the process with termiticide).
3. Drill holes near damaged areas and fill with termidor to see if there are internal termite galleries. Plug holes with putty per instructions.
4. Spray termiticide around base of tree and all areas where bark and wood were removed.

Thoughts?

Some other questions:

1. If I remove/grind the damaged/dead wood will new bark form/will it heal? Could I damage the tree further by doing this? Should I use some type of sealant/covering on these areas after removing damaged wood?
2. If the treatment portion is beyond a capable homeowner level then what professional would I use? I've called various termite companies as well as tree service and no one seems to have any expertise here.

Thank you for any responses!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1780.jpeg
    IMG_1780.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1778.jpeg
    IMG_1778.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1767.jpeg
    IMG_1767.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I don't think termites are your problem. The area on the trunk appears to be some kind of fungal canker. Over looking the spike marks from the unprofessional pruning. The larva shown in your pictures don't look like termites, what ever they are I'm guessing they are living in the dead canker tissue. Some cankers are aggressive and can kill a weak tree. Your location may help to narrow down the issue.

Oh interesting, hadn't considered the insects could just be a byproduct. I'm in Southern California, Redlands specifically. So, perhaps it's a canker tissue removal process then spray with a certain fungicide along with insecticide/termiticide?

Sidenote: I suspected the insects are termites based on the last picture where you can see a lone insect on the healthy bark, found a number of those, then the other ones inside the tissue suspected to be the termite grubs. This would all tie together since they focus on dead wood which would be the result of the fungal canker?

Screenshot_20230411-160007_Firefox.jpg
Not to ignore your drywood termite concern. These insects are rarely an issue to healthy live tree tissue. I would treat them to prevent a possible house migration. However the fungal canker is a far more serious problem.

"Treatments and improvements to tree health may be costly and futile."

Ouch. Maybe I could try to DIY treat (inexpensive, just time), then if the work just becomes too time intensive or if I complete and the tree goes downhill I could pay to remove? Would prefer to try and save as it definitely adds some cosmetic appeal with its twin in the front of the house.

I read about some treatment options at these sites:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/disease/phytophthora-bleeding-cankerhttps://ag.umass.edu/landscape/fact-sheets/phytophthora-bleeding-canker

If you where my client, I would advise a return visit to see the tree in full leaf. It appears that your sycamore may have a touch of anthracnose. Once the vigor and health of the tree can be established. Then direct your resources to a course of action.

I would remove the tree and plant something from another genus. Do your homework.

Raintree: I really appreciate the all replies! I'm much more informed now as to what's going on and how to proceed forward.
Uniballer: If it comes to that I will definitely do my homework and consider another genus.

Just an after thought. When dealing with fungal pathogens we as arborists are very mindful about spreading the disease. Disinfecting tools as we work on a infected tree is paramount. It is very likely that your "tree pruners" spiking into and through the infected canker areas spread the fungal pathogen into other parts of your tree.

Oh boy, it just keeps getting better haha .....good heads up. I'll keep that in mind and be on the lookout.

Hi folks,

I'm a homeowner and recently had two sycamore trees trimmed (no comment on trimming job) and discovered a pretty serious termite problem. I noticed the bark split open in several areas and especially near a large branch. Then when probing I found many sections of bark were just sitting ("floating") on top of termite damage and dead almost rotting looking wood. It looks like they have been quite busy eating away under the bark, I'm not sure if they are going deep into the tree or just the surface.

The trimmers didn't really have a clue and there appears to be a lack of arborists in the area to help me figure out the course of action. Local termite companies say they don't mess with live trees and other tree service companies say they don't have expertise with this either. The trimmer did at least confirm that when trimming they put full weight on the branch and it seemed solid.

My thoughts on treatment (couldn't find anything online describing how to treat this exact scenario)

1. Continue removing all dead "floating" bark to reveal damage underneath.
2. Remove/scrape/sand/grind dead wood underneath until reaching clean un-molested wood to further assess damage and potential entry holes to tree. (Spraying any living termites and grubs in the process with termiticide).
3. Drill holes near damaged areas and fill with termidor to see if there are internal termite galleries. Plug holes with putty per instructions.
4. Spray termiticide around base of tree and all areas where bark and wood were removed.

Thoughts?

Some other questions:

1. If I remove/grind the damaged/dead wood will new bark form/will it heal? Could I damage the tree further by doing this? Should I use some type of sealant/covering on these areas after removing damaged wood?
2. If the treatment portion is beyond a capable homeowner level then what professional would I use? I've called various termite companies as well as tree service and no one seems to have any expertise here.

Thank you for any responses!!!
I disolve the borax first in a pot with warm water/PG, but as far as a detailed mixture, there is not one with me...I go with whatever I have available and make sure the powdered Borax is disolved completely so it will not clog any sprayer I may use. Since it is very humid where I live [The Rain Forest] I simply put my borax in a old Parmesan shaker jar and shake away on my green [wet] slabs and let gravity do its thing. The Borax does not stain or harm the wood, but the PG my tint Maple, Poplar, and other light woods due to the pink coloring. As for voids in old Carpenter ant/termite colonies, I mix my boric acid/borax and or insecticide in with regular mortar for masonry and fill the tree with that and the tree should heal itself as long as it is not too far gone. For superficial cambium wounds, I use regular old latex paint [preferably same color as the bark] to seal the wound and my conifers seem to like that. Deciduous trees [sycamore] may be a different story, IDK. Good luck

Adding concrete or mortar to a tree will not prolong the life of a tree, nor add any protection except from chainsaws. It will absolutely add to the expense of the eventual removal of a tree, because concrete and chainsaws don't play well together.

Many tree services will decline to work on a concrete filled tree, and those that are going to work on will assuredly charge more if they discover a concrete fill on any tree.

IDK about that...I do know I filled several West. Hemlock trees at the stump and they grew around the mortar fill. One would have to think the mortar would give the tree extra support at the butt, so it has a chance to start healing itself. I didn't want to insinuate filling the entire tree with concrete/mortar-FCOL. You are right about one thing, chainsaws and concrete dont play well together. đź‘Ť :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back