set chain with punch instead of spinner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a spinner / breaker set as a ‘want’ more than a ‘need’. I have learned so much about chains by using it. I have also salvaged many dozens of chain loops, which have paid for the set many times over.

It does not make financial sense for one loop, but if you buy a good set, it will likely keep at least half its value if you resell it later on.

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/baileys-chain-breaker-and-spinner.144859/
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/spinning-chain-fess-up.170216/
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/presets-for-spinning-and-breaking-chain.345609/

When I was in freshman high school shop class many years ago one of our projects was a small sheet metal tool box. We were given a sheet of metal big enough to construct it from. We laid it out, used a manual shear and a box pan brake. The attachment was mixed between spot weld, pop rivets and hand set rivets. The point was not production it was about teaching the different processes. I went on to become the shop teacher in that district and was unable to teach the skills because of the high cost of sheet metal. It is a learning process and by nature kids (and adults) make mistakes. The district was unwilling to understand that. They preferred blowing money on elaborate non-educational items that did not teach skills. It is sad the climate had changed so much in so few years that I was unable to teach kids a basic trade. Yes I could have had them practice on small pieces but kids need to build something that they can take home and be proud of even if the quality is a bit lacking. It was still built by them.

Sorry for the somewhat off topic rant. Yes you can peen rivets by hand successfully.

I made a sheet metal tool box in junior high shop class. Really liked it. Always had my eye out for a quality box brake, shear, roller, etc. at estate sales and auctions, but never found any deals.

Mostly use POP rivets these days: posted a photo of a saw chain someone joined with one in my ‘Challenge Chain’ thread!

Philbert

If you want to gain experience with blind rivets, build a sports aircraft out of ally :). Plenty of rivets in those creatures :).

I started out just breaking chain with the punches I had available at the time, worked well, then got a granberg break n mend, it worked well, gave a very neat finish on the rivet head, but was very hard on the wrists and carpel tunnel, if you have used one you will understand.
Then came across a spinner/ breaker cheap, and never looked back.
Like everything, knowing how to do it in different ways is a handy skill to have.

Chain1.jpgChainjoin2.jpg

for those with a keen eye, there were a few cutters damaged when the chain broke, I didnt have spare chain to re make the loop, so just ground down the damaged cutters, and the chain has since put plenty of firewood in the trailer, I think its been relegated to stump duty now, but got my moneys worth out of that loop.

I use a pocket breaker set and have gotten the hang of it to a point where I can reuse some links.
First I center punch with an old nail set then I use the punch that comes with it to shear/drive the rivet out
When putting it together I use a ball peen hammer to mushroom it over.

Just a quick tip when using a punch to set the rivet... place a small piece of paper (with a hole punched in it) between the rivet and the tie strap. Once you've peened the rivet, you can either remove the paper by spraying some Q20 or WD40 on it, or simply leaving it to work its way out. By adding this paper shim, you can prevent the link from seizing up and becoming stiff. This is normally not a problem when using a spinner to set the rivet, because you can control the "tighness" of the rivet more reliably.

Hope this helps!

Just a quick tip when using a punch to set the rivet... place a small piece of paper (with a hole punched in it) between the rivet and the tie strap. Once you've peened the rivet, you can either remove the paper by spraying some Q20 or WD40 on it, or simply leaving it to work its way out. By adding this paper shim, you can prevent the link from seizing up and becoming stiff. This is normally not a problem when using a spinner to set the rivet, because you can control the "tighness" of the rivet more reliably.

Hope this helps!
That’s pretty nifty, I’ll remember that trick!

Back