Sharpen a small folding saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobjlw

Reaction score
My Corona 7" folding saw (RS 7040) is become dull. It has a complex tooth which I think they call RazorTOOTH®.

Can this be sharpened? Is there a tool for that angle?

Is your hourly time rate, of a min. $25, equal to simply buying another handsaw? and files to sharpen it once every 10 yrs.? I don't get it....

Yes, he probably should have posted in the homeowners helper forum... but this advice applies to a 200 dollar silky just as well... and what kind of hack are you that climbs for $25 an hour? Must not be much of a climber...

I'm in the camp that, up to a point, gets satisfaction from figuring out ways to reuse something rather than disposing it. Just seems wrong to throw something out if it can be fixed or modified. Often it ends up being a waste of time, but I'm still gonna try. 🤗

Those blades are impulse hardened so filing with a conventional feather file may not be viable… The conventional feather files are generally for Japanese saws that are not impulse hardened… There are however diamond saw files available for these types of impulse hardened blades.

Those blades are impulse hardened so filing with a conventional feather file may not be viable… The conventional feather files are generally for Japanese saws that are not impulse hardened… There are however diamond saw files available for these types of impulse hardened blades.

Two of those files are diamond files.

The blade is a Silky Hayate.

Two of those files are diamond files.

The blade is a Silky Hayate.
I wanted to make sure other readers knew there are different types of blades and files… that could potentially save some grief.

Back in the “old days” about the only hardened teeth to be encountered were the Swedish bow saw blades… now they are seemingly everywhere!

Is your hourly time rate, of a min. $25, equal to simply buying another handsaw? and files to sharpen it once every 10 yrs.? I don't get it....

You wouldn't.

Try pricing a replacement Silky saw, especially for your aluminum pole saw.

Besides, some of us like to do that kind of thing. Imagine just kicking back in the evening, casually touching up your hand saw because you like it to be really sharp. Maybe listening to the radio and having a brew.

Others like rebuilding their saw engines. You know how that works, right?

Yes, he probably should have posted in the homeowners helper forum... but this advice applies to a 200 dollar silky just as well... and what kind of hack are you that climbs for $25 an hour? Must not be much of a climber...

The Captain is a small engine mechanic, as I recall. His specialty isn't in using any handsaws, and has probably never touched a Silky.

Latest posts

Back