Sharpening chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The knock off 2-in1 sharpeners are junk. Cheap files. Parts break. Etc. Several reviews on this, and other forums document that.

Buy what you want. But if you want the good versions, buy the STIHL or Pferd models. The Pferd are not ‘copies’, they make them for / license them to STIHL.

Philbert

I really like the 2 in 1 file by stihl/pferd. don't own a grinder but sharpening the cutter and raker is simple. Haven't sent a chain in to be sharpened for 6 yrs.
I us stroke on t chain or so each time I refill...I also use a bench vise makes the job easier. It's monsoon seasson finally in the PNW . WE had conifers burned last summer with the 114 degree heat. My friend has purchased 30 gallons green paint to spot spray the christmas trees!

NOTHING ON AMAZON SAYS THEY ARE GENUINE STIHL vs knockoff counterfeit Chinese that (color scheme) "looks like Stihl"; sadly, there is no regard for PATENTS by Chinese knockoffs, and .gov appears to no longer care to enforce patents any more than they do the borders? I do not mind a knockoff sometimes, on an EXPIRED patent, if I BUY it KNOWING is an inferior knockoff (maybe only plan to use once/ twice?)

NOTHING ON AMAZON SAYS THEY ARE GENUINE STIHL vs knockoff counterfeit Chinese that (color scheme) "looks like Stihl"; sadly, there is no regard for PATENTS by Chinese knockoffs, and .gov appears to no longer care to enforce patents any more than they do the borders? I do not mind a knockoff sometimes, on an EXPIRED patent, if I BUY it KNOWING is an inferior knockoff (maybe only plan to use once/ twice?)
There is at least one sharpener on Amazon that says it is Stihl, is "Amazon's Choice", and has a photo of a Stihl sharpener. I bought it and It was not Stihl but a Chinese copy. The seller said all I had to do to get a refund was to ship the saw back to China at my expense. The sharpener they sent me was not the one in the photo because the one in the photo has the Stihl logo. The one they sent me was not even the right size for my saw, so I never tried it. If you want a Stihl sharpener, buy it from the dealer. Read the one-star reviews on the Amazon site and you will find that other people also noticed that it wasn't Stihl.

There is at least one sharpener on Amazon that says it is Stihl, is "Amazon's Choice", and has a photo of a Stihl sharpener. I bought it and It was not Stihl but a Chinese copy. The seller said all I had to do to get a refund was to ship the saw back to China at my expense. The sharpener they sent me was not the one in the photo because the one in the photo has the Stihl logo.
This is plain and simple fraud. Not sure how Amazon handles this sort of thing, but it would be simple on ebay. No need even to deal with the seller. Just file a return and choose item does not match pictures or description. Even if listing says absolutely no returns, you will automatically receive a link for a return label at seller's expense. Seller is obligated to refund original price and shipping when item is received. If disputed, just say no problem, ebay will decide. You will get a refund. I know that this process is abused by subhuman primate parts swappers, (and ebay doesn't care) but in cases like this one, don't even hesitate. I'll bet Amazon would handle it similarly. This was a bait-and-switch scam, inexcusable.

This is plain and simple fraud. Not sure how Amazon handles this sort of thing, but it would be simple on ebay. No need even to deal with the seller. Just file a return and choose item does not match pictures or description. Even if listing says absolutely no returns, you will automatically receive a link for a return label at seller's expense. Seller is obligated to refund original price and shipping when item is received. If disputed, just say no problem, ebay will decide. You will get a refund. I know that this process is abused by subhuman primate parts swappers, (and ebay doesn't care) but in cases like this one, don't even hesitate. I'll bet Amazon would handle it similarly. This was a bait-and-switch scam, inexcusable.
I went back and forth with the seller, and he eventually told me to keep it and he gave me a full refund. Since it was the wrong size for my saw, I donated it to the local railroad museum to use for sharpening their tree trimmer.

I went back and forth with the seller, and he eventually told me to keep it and he gave me a full refund. Since it was the wrong size for my saw, I donated it to the local railroad museum to use for sharpening their tree trimmer.
Glad to hear that it was finally resolved in your favor. And good for you for the donation. I like to see that Midas alchemy: doodoo ----> gold.

Back