Sharpening jig question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichMich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Quite a while ago, I came across a pic posted by a guy regarding sharpening. He made a jig using an used bar and kind of a jig using bolts to give some tension to the chain, but can't find it back...

I'm looking to build a similar jig, with a 16" bar, and make the thing adjustable up to 25" (maybe longer, but my longest bar is actually a 24/25" Cannon Superbar). Why make a DIY jig? Since I'm using 3 bar lengths (16, 20 and 24/25"), this would allow me to sharpen all lengths (all 3 are in 3/8"), and I don't want to put my Cannon Superbars in the wise... (all my saws, one MS261 and two MS461s are fitted with Cannon bars)

Maybe the guy who posted his rig will recognise himself!

Cheers

It's called a chain vice. It's like a bar but clamps the chain in place by squeezing the groove down. You can sharpen longer chains on the shorter vice, there's just a longer loop hanging down. I have not seen an adjustable length one.

Forester makes one, part number SCFV-20. It has a deeper groove than regular bars and the clamps are supposed to tighten down to hold the chain in place. But for .050 chain which is what I use the groove is too wide and does not get tight enough with the supplied clamps. I added some bolts and nuts to squeeze the groove down some so the clamps only have rest of the way to go. That helps but it's not as good as it could be.

There was a guy on here making and selling really nice chain vices though they cost a lot more than the Forester. I should have bought one when he was doing it.

OTOH you can use soft jaws in the vice to hold one of your bars without marring it and use hand pressure to hold the tooth in position while filing. Clamp in the solid middle not along the edge where the grove is.

Back