Sharpening stones for Dremel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

Pioneer

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried these out the other day, some sharpening stones from Amazon.

Pretty happy with them, I've done an 18 and a 20 inch chain with one bit so far, and it's still cutting fast. I'm using the second lowest speed on my Dremel and a fairly light pressure. The tooth stays cold during sharpening, you can comfortably steady the tooth with a finger as you're sharpening it. Picture of one of the teeth after its first touch up, and the amount of wear on the stone after 2 chains.
The thing I like about these coated bits over stones is you can get a much more precise shape because they don't change their diameter as they wear.
The only criticism I have is that the bit material is soft steel and is easily bent. The first bit I tried had runout, but it was easily straightened so this may not be such a bad thing.

IMG_20220722_104003.jpg IMG_20220722_103502.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know what abrasive material the bits are coated with?

Several years ago, Left Coast Supplies was offering some ABN (similar to CBN) coated bits which worked and held up pretty well. Not sure if anyone else sells them now.

(That thread, describing the bits, may have been deleted).

Philbert

Pioneer

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made from chinesium? Who knows, might be be CBN, they seem to hold up ok. The reviews have some people complaining they don't hold up, I suspect they're overheating them and the adhesive is letting go. I've used a different one before, not this brand, it's useful life was about as good as a regular stone. What was nice about it after it was well worn, it became like an extra fine grit stone and you could really polish the sawtooth to get it razor sharp.

Latest posts