sharpening teeth on a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papi3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello, I have some old chains that I have sharpened many times. When the teeth become smaller due to many sharpenings. I notice that the filing begins to file into the links that are attached to the cutting tooth. Is this time to throw the chain out or is this normal within reason? Perhaps it is my sharpening method of filing? I have corrected my angle and I am using a bit of upward force now on my file strokes. It seems to help. I have a bunch of chains that have file wear on the links with shorter teeth now. I am not sure If I should throw them out and buy some new chain. I know I would try to avoid this on a new chain.
I am a homeowner but I have cut a lot of wood through the years. Thanks for any information and expert advice.

A little filing on the link is fine as long as it is not over a rivet. Dog-boning of links is common in some race chains.
dropping down a file size is the best way to deal with it. The file should match the tooth, so as the tooth gets smaller, so does the file. I grind most of mine now, but do file on occasion. I know a filed tooth lasts much longer than ground.

I have sharpened my chains back until the teeth start breaking off, then it's time for a new one.

A little filing on the link is fine as long as it is not over a rivet. Dog-boning of links is common in some race chains.
dropping down a file size is the best way to deal with it. The file should match the tooth, so as the tooth gets smaller, so does the file. I grind most of mine now, but do file on occasion. I know a filed tooth lasts much longer than ground.

I have sharpened my chains back until the teeth start breaking off, then it's time for a new

hello, I have some old chains that I have sharpened many times. When the teeth become smaller due to many sharpenings. I notice that the filing begins to file into the links that are attached to the cutting tooth. Is this time to throw the chain out or is this normal within reason? Perhaps it is my sharpening method of filing? I have corrected my angle and I am using a bit of upward force now on my file strokes. It seems to help. I have a bunch of chains that have file wear on the links with shorter teeth now. I am not sure If I should throw them out and buy some new chain. I know I would try to avoid this on a new chain.
I am a homeowner but I have cut a lot of wood through the years. Thanks for any information and expert advi

As long as the teeth are still cutting wider than your rivets you're good. If the chain was dull and you're running a big saw with no bar oil and big grinds deep into the links you might break a chain. The only time I toss a chain before the normal life of the chain is if i throw a chain and it dents a bunch of drive links. Searching for deformed drive links takes time and so does filing them back to .050 or whatever you have. .058 or .063.

Latest posts

Back