sharpening wheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been using a diamond coated sharpening wheel I buy from New River equipment. They have been out of stock for a while. Anyone have another supplier? I think it is a 4.5 arbor wheel for an angle grinder. They are pretty expensive, but better than replacing a worn tooth.

I mostly sharpen by hand but have quite a bit of background in machine grinding. Philbert is the one to contact for machine supplies. This has been brought up numerous times here. Do you cool or try to cool your wheel when I did this professionally I rigged up a cooling system. I came up with all kinds of cocktails that seemed to make wheels last many times longer than with out. A big big plus was how much faster the process went once set up. Thanks

Jim I live over in southeastern Ma.,right on the RI line ,i've bought a wheel from Big Dog Tools in Bristol RI, seems to work ok,$110.47 don't know if that's crazy money. Tell # 1 800 252 1330, baddogtools.com

I mostly sharpen by hand but have quite a bit of background in machine grinding. Philbert is the one to contact for machine supplies. This has been brought up numerous times here. Do you cool or try to cool your wheel when I did this professionally I rigged up a cooling system. I came up with all kinds of cocktails that seemed to make wheels last many times longer than with out. A big big plus was how much faster the process went once set up. Thanks
Hi Ted, I use an angle grinder with the teeth still on the wheel. Not sure I could set up anything to cool doing it that way without taking the teeth off and grinding them in some sort of setup. if there is a way you couild show me, i would appreciate it. thank you,

Jim I live over in southeastern Ma.,right on the RI line ,i've bought a wheel from Big Dog Tools in Bristol RI, seems to work ok,$110.47 don't know if that's crazy money. Tell # 1 800 252 1330, baddogtools.com
thanks stumpgrinder 52., I'll give them a shot. $110.00 is cheaper than I have been paying, I think I pay around $120.00.
Pics of the wheel and grinder would help. Most companies recommend CBN for steel chainsaw cutters and diamond only for carbide teeth.

Philbert
Hey Philbert, the teeth have carbide tips and the wheel I have been using to sharpen them is recommended for both steel and carbide. The machine I use now, a carlton sp5014, seems to dull the teeth much quicker than all the other machines I have had. Don't know if it is a design of the cutting wheel or the way I grind, but I like to grind with sharp teetg si I sharpen them almost every day before I work.

Hi Ted, I use an angle grinder with the teeth still on the wheel. Not sure I could set up anything to cool doing it that way without taking the teeth off and grinding them in some sort of setup. if there is a way you couild show me, i would appreciate it. thank you,
I am not sure how you are using angle grinder in your set up. Many years ago the machine that I am most familiar with was a unit furnished by Stihl actually we had two. I rigged up a tank that I filled with lubricant and a small valve that was a little adjustable. I had it hanging from a stand using gravity as the pump. I had a little section of metal tubing attached to an area near where the wheel makes contact with the tooth. I used sawdust on a space out side to absorb the lubricant. Yes it was a little messy. I tried all kinds of oils mixed with water to get it just right but overall it did help if you had many chains to sharpen. Thanks

Jimma,

You are clearly doing something out of the ordinary, but if that works for you that’s fine. Normally, we only see that kind of sharpening, in Third World countries in these threads. A dedicated saw chain grinder will produce much more consistent and accurate angles on the teeth.

People who put a diamond wheel in those, typically expect the wheel to last for years.

Again, you may be working under different circumstances.

Philbert

The teeth have a 1/2 " flat surface on the outside that when ground flat, forms a cutting edge from the angle it grinds the wood. Nothing fancy. You grind off the edge that gets a bit rounded when it dulls. Takes less than a minute per tooth. Been doing it this way for years. It extends the life of the teeth extensively which makes replacing the diamond grinder often, more economical and it only takes 15 to 20 minutes to sharpen the 32 teeth while still on the machine. I'd prefer new or re-tipped teeth, but with each tooth costing $13 or $14 and an enormous amount of time and work to remove and replace them, it wouldn't make much sense. And the new teeth will only hold a sharp edge for 2 or 3 days. The only more efficient thing I could think of would be to get some sort of band sander with a diamond coated surface that would grind in a perfectly straight angle across the tooth.

Latest posts

Back