Shelves getting bare at saw shop.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I walked into the saw shop this morning with my year old 500i. I was going to trade it in. I learned they basically don’t have anything. Low on bar oil, etc.

I got every tune up part I could for the 500, but they can’t get me a piston. Should I look around or is there just nothing available?

I order bar oil online if I purchase enough it’s free shipping to my door.

Try ebay for other parts?

I've visited a Stihl-dealing Ace & my local dealer recently. Ace was thin on saws & hard accessories like files & stuff. Local dealer didn't have room for a ton of saws, but what they had out filled the shelves, including surprisingly a 500i. Didn't pay attention to lubes, but their hard accessories were very well stocked.

Inability to get a piston for the 500i aside, sounds like either they're lazy on ordering or stocking shelves (since like everywhere is also understaffed) or my local shop is just super duper lucky... cuz they're a busy place, and everything I looked at not only had every peg stocked, most of those pegs were stacked deep too.

Ace hardware in Delafield WI has a good amount of saws. 400/261c waiting for a new home. Lots of premix and oils.

Nothing special about bar oil. 30 weight any brand and your good.

Trade the 500i in for what?
30wt may as well be water when it’s 90 still in Texas. I’ll use rotella diesel oil if I run out on accident.
Just want to trade for another 500, possibly best saw I have ever owned.

You have a year-old saw and want to trade it in? Just curious as to why.
Heavy commercial use. I put a lot of cords on it in 100+ degree heat. Saws don’t run that many cords when it’s that hot when your using them. I have an 8 pin rim on it and sharpen chains on 20* so it’s loaded all the time. Hardwood only. Does work super fast, but it’s basically on a mill! I can usually put 2 pistons in one before the rest is pretty bad, but I’m a little hesitant to keep it around forever since it’s not carbureted. If I don’t beat a saw up, I can get good money for it trade in. I was hoping they may give me $800 for my power head if I let them move the bar and chain from the new one onto it.

Heavy commercial use. I put a lot of cords on it in 100+ degree heat. Saws don’t run that many cords when it’s that hot when your using them. I have an 8 pin rim on it and sharpen chains on 20* so it’s loaded all the time. Hardwood only. Does work super fast, but it’s basically on a mill! I can usually put 2 pistons in one before the rest is pretty bad, but I’m a little hesitant to keep it around forever since it’s not carbureted. If I don’t beat a saw up, I can get good money for it trade in. I was hoping they may give me $800 for my power head if I let them move the bar and chain from the new one onto it.

I have a neighbor that sells saws often. Can't quite remember if it was every year or every other year. A good deal for those buying, and he gets a fresh saw regularly.

You can buy alot! Of Craftsman 3.7s for $800.00.

My favorite local Stihl/Husqvarna dealer said saws are trickling in. They actually had a 372XP in that the owner was surprised even showed up. He also has a trade-in 395XP that I was drooling on.

I will say he had more saws on the wall this visit than last, which was 6 months ago or better.

30wt may as well be water when it’s 90 still in Texas. I’ll use rotella diesel oil if I run out on accident.
Just want to trade for another 500, possibly best saw I have ever owned.
I live in OK. I had a hard time finding enough T6 to change oil in one of our dodges. I guess they call them rams now.🙄

Back