Shindaiwa 488 Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobKelly87

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a used 488 chainsaw - overall in very good condition with seemingly low hours. I’ve only been able to get the saw to start one time and this as with much effort (ran fine while running). The second attempt at starting the saw was was unsuccessful. Spark tester confirmed good spark, compression test was also good via gauge, correct fuel/oil mix, air filter is clean, new spark plug. When attempting to start after several pulls a blue/white smoke will slowly emit from the muffler (also confirmed muffler is clear). I’m trying to understand if too much or too little fuel is being provided to the cylinder or if there is an overall functional issue with the carburetor such as the diagram not pulsating in a manner to provide fuel to meet starting demand. I’d appreciate your feedback - Thank you !

I was given a 488 a few years ago. It ran poorly - hard to start and poor reving. I rebuilt the carb and it starts and runs fine now, hot or cold. Great little saw! I start it just as I do my ms361. Cold - full choke, pull till it pops (about 4 - 5 pulls), then half choke until it runs - about 2 - 3 pulls. After warmed up, it starts on one pull.

I have had problems at times, starting saws that I have purchased and am starting for the first time, and have found like, Pioneerguy600, that when everything else is ok, pulling the plug and blowing it dry with compressed air, can sometimes make the magic difference. I am also not shy about using a small amount of starting fluid.
If it is a smaller saw, like the 488, I start it with the choke off, while holding the throttle wide open (rather than just using the pin that pegs the throttle at 3/4 open).
When everything else fails, I pull the plug, and close the gap a few thousandths. It is amazing, how many times this trick works.
I have two Shindaiwa saws, the largest being a 575, and I like them a lot.

Back