Shop ordered wrong bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl a grasshopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a Stihl 084 that came with a 48” bar and 4 chains, as part of the deal they were throwing in a 36” bar and would shorten 3 of the chains. The 36” bar they had previously ordered was the wrong bar, so we talked a bit and they looked in their book and called in an order for the appropriate rollomatic ES. The bar came in while I was on vacation and I swung by today to pick it up. Got home to find it’s a medium mount 36” .404, not a large. The chains have been punched to 104dl and the correct bar requires 108.
So riddle me this, do I have them order the correct bar and lengthen the chain to 108 with the extra pieces I had them keep for me, or get a different bar like 3002-001-8052?
1641318989473.jpeg

8052 is a hard nose bar, better off with the 9753 sprocket nose in most applications

Get a new shop! Mistakes happen I suppose, (twice) but they should have at least looked over what they received.
They don’t normally deal with bigger saws, but I feel like you should be able to look at numbers. Probably just going to order my own stuff online once this is all done. Although I do have a nickname there now, “the guy that bought the big saw” lol

shouldnt be as long as same make and type of chain and filed to match old ones if they were used opposed to new.
ms880,881 not a lot shops sell them so not understanding bar difference happens sometimes-however they may be stuck with an orphan bar for their mistake.

Point out the mistakes and have them make it right. Then find a new shop. They might be able to send it back to the factory and not have to sit on a $100+ bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point out the mistakes and have them make it right. Then find a new shop. They might be able to send it back to the factory and not have to sit on a $100+ bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
most if not all suppliers/distributors in this industry take very few items back and if open package almost for sure they wont. They might be able to, but they will charge them a restocking charge- not siding with dealer, one of the lows when you screw up.

Went back to the shop today, no hassles. She was very apologetic and called the distributor and fussed at him for them sending the the wrong bar when she told them what saw it was for when ordering (she did tell them, I was there) , and got the correct part number bar ordered. Chains will be lengthened. All good, just have to wait…
She learned on today that Stihl has different bar mount sizes!

Back