Should I buy an Oregon 520, Tecomec Jolly Star or Super Jolly Saw Chain Grinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I ordered and sent back an Oregon 141 saw chain grinder. I wasn't real happy with the Vise setup and the motor shaft was bent, so I'm back in the hunt for a new grinder.

The Tecomec products seem to have a better vice setup. It appears that when the vise jaws clamp down on the chain there is going to be more surface area of the vise holding the chain more securely.

The Oregon 520 seems to have the same style vise clamp as the Oregon 141. When you tighten it down a cam closes the the vise clamp rails in such a manner as it only applies pressure on the chain to 1 maybe 2 teeth at the most.

From my understanding the Oregon 520 is basically a rebranded Tecomec Jolly Star however it comes with 1 additional adjustment to center the vise to the grinding wheel as it wears. The Jolly Star does not have this feature.

The Super Jolly has the vise centering adjustment but also comes with a hydraulic vise clamp which I don't think I need but then again maybe its a pretty good thing after all.

Questions for the audience:
Is the Jolly Star vise setup any better than the Oregon 141 or 520 vise?

Is the vise adjustment to center the grinder disk over the center line of the chain on the Oregon 520 and Super Jolly something that is going to be of value especially as the disk starts to wear?

Is the hydraulic vise assembly something that is just going to complicate matters and make another point of failure down the road or is it also a handy thing to have? For me the extra few minutes to sharpen a chain is not a big deal.

Is it worth spending the extra money to by an Oregon Product considering it has a life time warranty? It does not cover normal wear and tear so will they just tell me sorry buddy that failure is not covered or do they really stand behind the product and go above and beyond the call of duty?

Cost break down if ordered from Amazon:
Jolly Star $265
Super Jolly $300

Oregon 141 $165
Oregon 520 $300
Oregon 620 $360

I don't work for a tree service anymore just a regular wood burner now that needs a quality tool to keep things sharp. I don't need to crank out piles of sharpened chains everyday.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Krazo = ozark spelled "backwards" which is what most of us are here in these woods around here :)

Is the hydraulic vise assembly something that is just going to complicate matters and make another point of failure down the road or is it also a handy thing to have? For me the extra few minutes to sharpen a chain is not a big deal.
I got the 620 there is no difference from the Super Jolly. Colors

My first grinder and I love the hydraulic clamp. Its not perfect but it speeds up the process. To me its like reloading any thing you can do to improve the accuracy or speed is worth it.

Anybody ever have issues with the hydraulic system on the Super Jolly or the Oregon 620?
Is it worth spending the extra $60 bucks to get the 620 thinking I may need the life time warranty some day?

I just like CNC machined contact surfaces I guess;
RIMG0039.JPGRIMG0041.JPG
The ability to get stuff like foot pedal controlled hydraulic clamp and vices for other stuff like trimmer blades or hedge trimmers isn't exactly a drawback either.

:dancing::cheers:

Warranty info taken from the Oregon 520 Manual. I could not find this in the 620 Manual. I didn't cut and paste the entire legal mumbo jumbo stuff out of the manual:

THE OREGON®CUSTOMER-SATISFACTION POLICY
LIMITED WARRANTY

OREGON® | Blount, Inc warrants its products to be free from defects in materials and
workmanship for as long as they are owned by the original retail purchaser.

OREGON® PRODUCTS ARE NOT WARRANTED AGAINST NORMAL
WEAR AND TEAR, USER ABUSE, IMPROPER MAINTENANCE OR IMPROPER REPAIR

I use to repair laser printers in the 90's and sold customers maintenance agreements. They were written in such a way that I really wasn't liable for anything but I stood behind what I sold and serviced 100%. A VP of a bank who was one of my best customers read the agreement before he signed off and cut the check and said "You're not going to screw us over are you? I got the feeling it was half a joke and half being dead serious.

That being said THE OREGON®CUSTOMER-SATISFACTION POLICY LIMITED WARRANTY is also written in such a way that if they needed or wanted to they could come up with some sort of excuse not to do anything for you. From what I've heard they are pretty good about living up to what they promise. Personally I have never dealt with them on any type of issue.

Any comments on how Oregon takes care of Customers after the purchase? For that matter how is Tecomec on after the sale product support?

buttercup:
Thanks for taunting me with images of the Stihl USG Grinder. In my dreams I wish I could justify buying one.

These grinder are a bridge to help you til you learn to hand file. IMO, other then some small minor feature differences, they all do the same thing, the same way. Get the cheapest one, cause when you finally grow out of it, you will be able to sell it and recoup most of your expense.

These grinder are a bridge to help you til you learn to hand file. IMO, other then some small minor feature differences, they all do the same thing, the same way. Get the cheapest one, cause when you finally grow out of it, you will be able to sell it and recoup most of your expense.

Some people would much prefer to use an axe or a hand saw rather than one of those evil chainsaws too, nothing funny about that.

Hi i don't know about USA side but in UK alot of Oregon is just badge engineered from elsewhere namely China.
Trouble is once they do it or you find it then next time you want to buy something you have doubts that being turned over!
We have same thing with fishing gear £60 for £20 item that has an expensive label

You could say a file is crutch as well to get you through till the end of the day, especially if you’re cutting production. A hand file you will not be accurate it doesn’t matter who you are if teeth are off they will take different amount of bite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grinders on one side Filers on the other everyone else please stand in the middle and talk amongst yourself, hahaha!

Everyone needs to be proficient with using a file its all they may ever need especially for some one who doesn't use their saw very much.
Also like the old American Express Travelers Check Commercial with Karl Malden used to say "Don't leave home without it"
When you go out into the woods you better bring a file(s) with you and know how to use it.

For me a grinder is going to save me a lot of time and money 2 things I don't have very much of. I'm not "Super" Logger or "Joe" Home Owner maybe some where in between. I'm here to learn and become a safe and more knowledgeable woodsman from people like you that know more about it than I do.

You'll need more that a file after this project :)
Cutting a lead sailboat keel with a chainsaw

lead.JPG

I have had a 620 for a few years, my thinking was I saw them in the back of the saw shops I frequented and had a good relationship with, asked them if they liked them and had any issues and the answer was always the same. These sharpened chains ALL day every day they were open and had piles of grinding dust caked all over them but they churned along just fine. The hydro clamp is very nice. I normally hand file a couple times as the chain dulls then put it on the grinder to even out my hand filing mistakes.

I took the advice of the forum and got the supper jolly so I will be setup with the hydro clamp. It was a pretty hard decision not to buy the Oregon for $60 dollars more in order to get the life time warranty but I'm betting the jolly will hold up just fine.

I've been thinking about a better climbing saw . I'm only a 2 saw family right now a Stihl 029 and a MS211. The 211 isn't ideal up in a tree but it works.
The echo saws seem to be pretty popular around here. A top handle saw would be awesome.

I liked the top handle Sthil at the dealer. Not sure of the model. Pretty sure it was built in Germany not America but at close to $500 dollars it's kind of out of my price range for what I do.

I took the advice of the forum and got the supper jolly so I will be setup with the hydro clamp. It was a pretty hard decision not to buy the Oregon for $60 dollars more in order to get the life time warranty but I'm betting the jolly will hold up just fine.

I've been thinking about a better climbing saw . I'm only a 2 saw family right now a Stihl 029 and a MS211. The 211 isn't ideal up in a tree but it works.
The echo saws seem to be pretty popular around here. A top handle saw would be awesome.

I liked the top handle Sthil at the dealer. Not sure of the model. Pretty sure it was built in Germany not America but at close to $500 dollars it's kind of out of my price range for what I do.

Echo works just like it should, Sthil is made in Germany.

Files are so much cheaper, dont need power just elbow power. And the best bit is you'll have a sharper edge if you file right. I only use a grinder on a bad chain that someone has hit a stone sort of thing, then finish with a file. It's a personal thing but I do like a sharp tool, it's easier on the saw and my old body.

Back