Should I scrap my stihl 056 with no spark?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUBOTA OWNER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have a 056 that's in almost new condition, new 32" bar and chain. Now the bad It lost spark and this happened
about a year ago and I started to take it apart and then spark returned. Then yesterday it did it again, loaded it up
in the truck and when I got home check it again and spark was there? WTF? left it and today spark is gone again.
Pulled it apart and checked for shorted kill switch or other short. Did not find any problem.
I have read about these ignitions crapping out and I sure that's the problem. It has the SEM system and I would love to find parts to fix but not sure what I need. Any help would be a great.

There are several threads on here detailing a few different fixes. The site search function isn't great but Google should find em for ya

Have a 056 that's in almost new condition, new 32" bar and chain. Now the bad It lost spark and this happened
about a year ago and I started to take it apart and then spark returned. Then yesterday it did it again, loaded it up
in the truck and when I got home check it again and spark was there? WTF? left it and today spark is gone again.
Pulled it apart and checked for shorted kill switch or other short. Did not find any problem.
I have read about these ignitions crapping out and I sure that's the problem. It has the SEM system and I would love to find parts to fix but not sure what I need. Any help would be a great.
Why send it all that way, when I am North of the Border. I have a 056 Magnum II, and from this and other forums, I learned that the ignition module was often a problem with these saws. If it is just acting up when it is hot, pull the plug and decrease the spark gap by a few thousandths, and see if the problem re-occurs. Just reducing the gap a few thousandths, dramatically reduces the voltage required to fire the plug. My Magnum has been running perfectly, but I have been forced to use this procedures on other 2 saws, where parts were not available.
Short of finding a coil, there is a fix, that involves accessing the internals of the coil, to disable the storage capacitor (condensor) and adding a substitute unit. If you are familiar with electronics and wish to give this a try, let me know, and I will attempt to find the article for you.
In my experience, these are wonderful saws.
Bob

Been looking on line for a few days and reading everything I can find on the 056 sem ignition.
Seems like I have the one where there are no replacements for this early style unit.
Sure sucks, I have tried to contact a older stihl dealer and see if there are any parts around, but that didn't seem to work either once he saw my unit.
Anyone have a part that would work? One member said to get a Sem ga unit on ebay but I dont think it will work. Checked on sawzilla and the unit he sells will not match up to mine.
Hate to part with this saw, I'm not one to give up easily. Want to use this with my Alaska mill rather than my 272. ----Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Attachments

• IMG_2574 (3).jpg
    IMG_2574 (3).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Been looking on line for a few days and reading everything I can find on the 056 sem ignition.
Seems like I have the one where there are no replacements for this early style unit.
Sure sucks, I have tried to contact a older stihl dealer and see if there are any parts around, but that didn't seem to work either once he saw my unit.
Anyone have a part that would work? One member said to get a Sem ga unit on ebay but I dont think it will work. Checked on sawzilla and the unit he sells will not match up to mine.
Hate to part with this saw, I'm not one to give up easily. Want to use this with my Alaska mill rather than my 272. ----Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
Looks like the shaft has a cam lobe on it. Can it be converted back to points?

Went through this with mu cousin 056 a few years ago, did the capacitor mod, got it running and convinced him to sell it. Great saw, not worth the issues. The 660 he replaced it with has loads of parts available.

Latest posts

Back