Should I stack and store this firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been cutting, splitting, stacking, burning firewood for years, but I've never run across this. My neighbor gave me this sweetgum. A good deal of it has this weird growth on it (picture 1). It's like small weeds growing out of 1/4 inch sod. Also, some of the wood is hollow, but does not appear to be rotten (picture 2).

Question 1: Is this safe to stack for next winter or should I clean it up first or not use it at all>
Question 2: Is it safe to store the hollow wood or should I split it first?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0401 600 pixels.jpg
    IMG_0401 600 pixels.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0406 600 pixels.jpg
    IMG_0406 600 pixels.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 1
Yeah I noticed that, big-time. It's a pain to both split and stack. Still, I've got a mountain of it in the yard, free.

Not uncommon for trees here in Florida to have ferns growing out of them. I've got the same thing on my sweet gum. Personally, if you have room for it, I'd split and stack. I like to use it for my pit.

I've been cutting, splitting, stacking, burning firewood for years, but I've never run across this. My neighbor gave me this sweetgum. A good deal of it has this weird growth on it (picture 1). It's like small weeds growing out of 1/4 inch sod. Also, some of the wood is hollow, but does not appear to be rotten (picture 2).

Question 1: Is this safe to stack for next winter or should I clean it up first or not use it at all>

Thanks

That fern is 'Resurrection fern'. If you lay those pieces with fern on them on the ground they will continue to live. I've got it in some post oaks and when it is dry it looks dead but leafs out almost instantly with a little rain.

For me sweet gum makes good firewood. It is light when seasoned, almost like tulip poplar.

That fern is 'Resurrection fern'. If you lay those pieces with fern on them on the ground they will continue to live. I've got it in some post oaks and when it is dry it looks dead but leafs out almost instantly with a little rain.

For me sweet gum makes good firewood. It is light when seasoned, almost like tulip poplar.
Good to know. I've already cleaned most of the junk off, including the sod that was two inches thick in some places, and stacked it. I've used sweetgum before in my fireplace and it was fine. Burns fast but leaves hardly any ash behind and doesn't smoke much.

Attachments

• IMG_0407 1,000 pixels.jpg
    IMG_0407 1,000 pixels.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 1
Hey @EasyT , What did you do to make your neighbor hate you so much as to give you sweetgum :oops:…..Only joking, we use some sweet gum as well in our wood stove but it is absolutely my least favorite wood to split. When dry it is fine for smaller fires and to mix in with hardwoods.

Thanks
We have this up here in mi the tree is trying to grow they call it sirit

Latest posts

Back